Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's the four million smiles?

Default Where's the four million smiles?

I find Singaporeans very practical and obedient lots.
    We smile when we are asked to and save the smile on most others occasions.

Once, I came into Singapore during wee hours via T2. I took a rather fast pace and was the first to reach the immigration counters. As I descended from the escalator, I saw two sets of grinning white behind the counters greeting each other. The ladies turned toward me as I approach, the smiles was immediately wiped off from their faces. The lady looked me in the eyes and then looked into my passport. When she again looked up at me, I asked her “Where’s the million dollar smile”. She stared into me and said “the delegates have gone home and the smiling campaign is over lah”.
    When I walked away I looked back again only to see the two sets of grinning teeth greeting each other again.
    For once, I am dead sure I am back home, in Singapore.

I have similar experiences when getting into Singapore via the Woodlands check points.
    Is it a practice for those immigration officers to put up a stern look?
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 23rd July 2007 at 10:32 PM.

Default Re: Where's the four million smiles?

Next time use the auto service lah....

Anyway, i'm normally greeted "Welcome home!" with a big smile.

Land and sea customs officers mostly stern face.

4 million smiles only appear when 4D is struck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_Seng View Post
    Next time use the auto service lah....

Anyway, i'm normally greeted "Welcome home!" with a big smile.
    That's really good.

Better dont joke about the 4 million smiles and I am not joking. The last guy who started an online campaign called 4 million frowns was detained by ISA as an possible subversive.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    Better dont joke about the 4 million smiles and I am not joking. The last guy who started an online campaign called 4 million frowns was detained by ISA as an possible subversive.
    ouch when was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post

Once, I came into Singapore during wee hours via T2. I took a rather fast pace and was the first to reach the immigration counters. As I descended from the escalator, I saw two sets of grinning white behind the counters greeting each other. The ladies turned toward me as I approach, the smiles was immediately wiped off from their faces. The lady looked me in the eyes and then looked into my passport. When she again looked up at me, I asked her “Where’s the million dollar smile”. She stared into me and said “the delegates have gone home and the smiling campaign is over lah”.
    When I walked away I looked back again only to see the two sets of grinning teeth greeting each other again.

I have similar experiences when getting into Singapore via the Woodlands check points.
    They dun own u a smile...

What's wrong with that???

i am amazed at the way you arrived at this conclusion and applied it to the rest of the general Singaporean population

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox View Post
    i am amazed at the way you arrived at this conclusion and applied it to the rest of the general Singaporean population

What's wrong with that??? I smile and greet my teachers who are nice to me and pretend not to see those teachers whom I dun like.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    what's wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    ouch when was that?
    During the IMF, he was detained as a potential trouble maker...... sigh all for making a stupid joke online.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    During the IMF, he was detained as a potential trouble maker...... sigh all for making a stupid joke online.
    then what happened? was he released?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    then what happened? was he released?
    silenced.......................................... ........

his blog is still online though.

In some countries if you smile at the immigration officer and they smile back sooner or later you and a few policemen are going to have a nice cup of coffee under the suspicion of bribery.

Immigration/customs officers are supposed to be stern, as far as I know, they have to depersonalise everyone they process. Smiling at one and not smiling at another might result in equally nittypicky people spreading rubbish about them letting the people they like go through easily, etc.

Don't know, don't anyhow spread rubbish and nitpick at everything. You like smiles so much, go and smile in the mirror. SPREAD THOSE LIPS! I bet if they smile at you you'll start a thread saying that they try to seduce you, and so unbecoming of a civil servant. Some people just can't be pleased, eh, will twist anything anyway they want. I hope the admin finally realises what a blatant troublemaker you are, and carries out positive action. If you ask me, the quality of these forums are lowered by your malicious presence.
    Last edited by night86mare; 24th July 2007 at 01:10 AM.

would a cheeky grin do if the person is "cute".

hehee...

You haven't been to the Dutch immigration? They sit ABOVE you, so that you feel small and a nobody (well thats what they want you to feel), and never smile.......

I came back a week after the Tsunami from Medan, and my passport was wet cause I accidentally washed it, so some of the stamps were also washed away. The lady officer at Changi T1 looked at me and asked "Tsunami huh?"......

I was surprised that an immigration officer made a joke, so I couldn't say anything in return! I was just baffled.....:-)

HS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast