Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any prob getting Grey Sets?

Default Re: Any prob getting Grey Sets?

OP price is quite good for k100D

My 3 months old grey K100D suddenly died last week. Shutter release stopped working and cannot autofocus. Sent back to OP, they said takes about 2 weeks to repair. Problem with these grey sets is you cannot go straight to Shriro when got problems. The OP guys know nuts about the camera itself so got to send it off somewhere to get it fixed.

What's your opinion of those OP guys anyway? I got the K100D second hand so this was the first time I went into the shop. Had young guys there, both look like bengs. One cannot speak english, got thick mainland china accent, seems more technically savvy but doesn't know how to handle faulty equipment complaints. Other guy speaks english and knows the store procedure for dealing with faulty equipment, but doesn't seem to know much about cameras. They don't really inspire too much confidence buying from there on first impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jediyam View Post
    My 3 months old grey K100D suddenly died last week. Shutter release stopped working and cannot autofocus. Sent back to OP, they said takes about 2 weeks to repair. Problem with these grey sets is you cannot go straight to Shriro when got problems. The OP guys know nuts about the camera itself so got to send it off somewhere to get it fixed.

What's your opinion of those OP guys anyway? I got the K100D second hand so this was the first time I went into the shop. Had young guys there, both look like bengs. One cannot speak english, got thick mainland china accent, seems more technically savvy but doesn't know how to handle faulty equipment complaints. Other guy speaks english and knows the store procedure for dealing with faulty equipment, but doesn't seem to know much about cameras. They don't really inspire too much confidence buying from there on first impressions.
    Even though your camera is a grey set, thare is nothing to prevent you to get it serviced or repaired by Shriro locally. Naturally you will need to pay for any repairs. You bought a second-hand camera, yet I don't understand why you're complaining about OP? They are a shop, not a service centre. Obviously they would need to send it back for repair. Even if you bought locally from any photo shop, they would still have to send it out for repair. I'll bet they will tell you to go to the service centre yourself. BTW, 2 weeks is not an unreasonable length of time for repair.

I think you need to be fair to them. They are offering great deals on cameras in which you would have paid more. And yes, they are not local but can speak english decent enough to understand. Like any shop, the prerequisite for store assistants would be able to speak english and process transactions. I don't think their job description is " Sales Rep needed. Must look sophisticated, speak excellent english and able to strip down any Pentax cameras and effect repairs"
    And 3 weeks is not too long if the camera needs to be sent overseas for repair. Shriro may be able to do it faster but then again, you may need to pay for their service.

Question Re: Any prob getting Grey Sets?

Hmmm, any more K100d users with probs out there?

Back to OP, actually i got a quote of $700 (K100d) & $1200 (K10D) from them. Think it is quite a good deal...

Anyone knows what is the official price?
    May the force be with you...

Quote Originally Posted by dielah View Post
    Hmmm, any more K100d users with probs out there?

Back to OP, actually i got a quote of $700 (K100d) & $1200 (K10D) from them. Think it is quite a good deal...

Anyone knows what is the official price?
    With Kit? If so, for the K100D, it is quite good! But maybe with the super out, wait for OP to bring it in?
    Birds Of Singapore Android App released!
    the mac 13 on Flickr

For grey set, you can still send to Shriro for servicing, but with charges. The 2 weeks they told you is fast already. If you send to Shriro, hardware problem they can repair it here. But if it involved internal circuit, they will have to send to Pentax Japan and will take 1 month. Even at Shriro they will need to examine and not tell you the problem on the spot.

The guys at OP are just sales people. If i bring the camera back to the shop, I don't think i want them to strip the camera also and fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by the mac 13 View Post
    With Kit? If so, for the K100D, it is quite good! But maybe with the super out, wait for OP to bring it in?
    Oh, actually the prices are for the bodies only as i'm considering getting it with Sigma 17-70 DC Macro or the Sigma 18-200 --> Both about the same price at close to $600....

Any suggestions?
    May the force be with you...

Oh, actually the prices are for the bodies only as i'm considering getting it with Sigma 17-70 DC Macro or the Sigma 18-200 --> Both about the same price at close to $600....

Any suggestions?

Get the K10D and the Sigma 1770 and you'll have a very good start

Good luck.

The two young guys are relatively ok compared to some other shops, there you get old uncles with Rolexes which will look you no up if you turn up in berms and slippers, like I always do. They sell cameras, not repair, so definitely they will not know much on it. I'd rather get honesty that they don't know then to get some smooth talking salesman who will assure me on this and that and produce nothing. So far they have been very upfront with me.

K100D $700 now? No kit lens right..

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    Get the K10D and the Sigma 1770 and you'll have a very good start

Good luck.
    I concur.... Esp. since that is the setup I have right now...

Any suggestions?
    I'd go with 17-70..

Quite averse to lenses over a wide range, to me the quality differences are quite visible.

Not criticising the OP guys or the fact that they have to send the camera away for a few weeks. Just making an observation on my first impressions of them and wondering what others here think. Naturally if you've been to other camera shops you would tend to compare. Guess those who've been there more often have no problems, so that's reassuring.

curious, anyone have dust on the LCD display, behind the plastic screen?
    Birds Of Singapore Android App released!
    the mac 13 on Flickr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12