Thread: Hong Kong Night, Harbour Front

Default Hong Kong Night, Harbour Front

~Light Show~

Something is just not right here, could be the haze that cause this picture to lose the impact. What Av should I use for this kind of shot?
    24mm, 0.6 sec, f2.8, EV -1, ISO 100, On Tripod - Shutter release.
    Weather : Cloudy, Hazy

Please comment Thankzzz
    Last edited by eikin; 22nd July 2007 at 08:43 PM.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Default Re: Hong Kong Night, Harbour Front

I would have cropped in tighter to avoid the wide expanse of sea.

The details seem a bit soft. Since you have a tripod, a slight longer shutter with smaller aperture may have been better.

Thanks will try the cropping, but as you pointed out about the softness of the image I am afraid that by cropping it will become more obvious. Am I right to say that for wide angle shot or landscape try not to use the widest aperture? softness issue. f8-f16 ok for night?
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Usually lenses are sharper at f/8 to f/11, beyond that you get diffraction due to small aperture, before that you get lack of DOF.

Not sure if it is the haze or lack of DOF, since you have after all used f/2.8, which is a pretty large aperture. However at super wide angles sometimes you can afford it. 24mm after crop factor or before? I'm guessing before, because I got a wider view in my picture than you did.

I see you were trying to capture the light show's lights, but I think either you'd have to go more than once and work really hard to remember which part has the correct light arrangement you want, or get something not here-not-there like you have. I'd prefer to shift more to the left from your vantage point, use f/8 to f/11, lowest ISO possible, and slightly overexpose or expose just right. With that sort of setting you'd get all the ripples relatively smoothed out, which would look better, in my view.

I'm talking about #1 only, btw. =)

please take note of the 1 picture post per week guideline for critique corner http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=273376

extra image has been removed.

Thanks night86mare, you got a point there and you are right about the 24mm.Its before the 1.6 crop factor. Will try f8 next time. I think its the f2.8, shallow DOF creating a soft and impact less image . Check out your picture liao, love the Steamboat Willy and the 1 taken at Victoria Peak.

Thanks eikin for the reminder sorry ah, its my 1st time posting photo for critic
    Last edited by eikin; 23rd July 2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: off topic posting.