Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eaten by Singapore

Default Re: Eaten by Singapore

It is not only Singapore has been buying up public utilties, Telco company, commercial properties etc., the Australian companies have been closing down local plants and shipping them to China because of lower costs of production. Some of the best known Australian brands are now owned by Americans.

Try to buy an Australian-made hair dryer, you wouldn't be able to find one here.

Our greatest exports besides Vegimite are Nicole Kidman, Kylie Minogue, Elle Mcpherson, Naomi Watts etc.
    Last edited by Sion; 22nd July 2007 at 07:21 PM.

Singapore tried to buy Ansett, they'd rather close it down.....

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Everybody here thinks it is such a great idea, that Singaporean companies, essentially Singapore Government, investing in businesses all over the world. But if the tide were turned, how will you react? You should welcome the foreign investment, right? Regulations should be ammended to make foreign investment easier, right? I wonder.
    If anything, it would drive the economy.

Obviously I would raise a big hooha if certain things, like defense industry and water, etc was turned over into foreign hands; but for other stuff, like biscuit manufacturing, drinks manufacturing, they can be any country's for all I care. They are not necessities, and would not have any negative impact after all. All in the name of pragmatism.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Singapore tried to buy Ansett, they'd rather close it down.....
    Kiwi bought it and F it up in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    If anything, it would drive the economy.

Obviously I would raise a big hooha if certain things, like defense industry and water, etc was turned over into foreign hands; but for other stuff, like biscuit manufacturing, drinks manufacturing, they can be any country's for all I care. They are not necessities, and would not have any negative impact after all. All in the name of pragmatism.
    but it I alright for Singapore to buy strategic business/asets elsewhere while not alright for other to do so in Singapore???
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

but it I alright for Singapore to buy strategic business/asets elsewhere while not alright for other to do so in Singapore???
    Is it alright for the rich man to pay the poor man a minute minute portion of the profits and take the bulk?

Ansett wasnt f up by the kiwis, the aussies f it up way before that. ANZ just bought it at the wrong timing, while news corp, main shareholder was laughing all the way to the bank. Smart Murdoch who btw is a US citizen had to severe his aussie ties to secure his loyalty with the yanks, thats another story.
    Reiterate, SIA didn't buy into Ansett directly, it had shares in ANZ. Ansett didn't close down coz they didnt want SIA money, quite the opposite, they wanted to be bought by the suckers, ANZ cos they were bleedng long before anyone realised.

quite a few factors in the Ansett demise, first, it was badly managed to begin with, no thanks the kenette legacy, it was overstaffed, over stretched, way too many planes, and the crippling aussie union which added to the burden.
    it was compulsory that it had to fly to non-profitable routes, that is ultimately what killed it
    try maintaining some plane to some obscure town in the outback, but you can't charge too high for it and you have to set up some backend office for it.
    at that time, it was the period of many upstart budget airlines, added to the cost slashing to its profitable routes, also the increase in fuel oil prices. All that eventually killed the company.

a lot of my friends lost their jobs directly and indirectly, Ansett supported many other supplementary companies, it was a huge thing back then with so many people losing their jobs.

but you have to thank SIA and Kiwis for supporting Ansett workers, they were eventually paid a hefty compensation package and they paid off a lot of debtors. Did the Aussies fail to notice that? Silly sucker Kiwis for paying off the Aussies due to poor management on the aussies part. Singapore lost quite a bit of money, more than the reported losses actually.

would you think the Americans would have done so? doubt it

The americans bought up quite a lot of well-known Australian companies long before Singapore and China started with their acquisition, but the Aussie press didn't do much bashing up of the yanks did they? They sure did bash up the Japanese when they were buying up brisbane and gold coast. White Australians really hate asians eh.

and btw, Vegmite is owned by Kraft, the americans bought your national icon!
    and yes, Skippy the roo, and aeroplane jelly, timtams, and what else?
    Fosters group, and southcorp, i can go on and on. where's the big backlash with the americans? sure they are aussie made equivalents, but they are nowhere as successful than all the old brands. Did the aussies boycott their own national brand after that?

Can the Australians be more introspective and start questioning themselves, why did they go on the privatisation binge during Howard's first rein? Don't they know the concept and implications of privatisation? why did they privatise their key sensitive assets to begin to? silly isn't it, they didn't go blame howard for their mistake. Don't they understand what is business and what happens why you start privatising your govt assets, corporations will buy in and take over eventually. Duh, basic economics 101

where's John Safran-the wannabe michael moore of australia these days? He was funny, he tried to poke fun of Ray Martin and got killed for it. Maybe he should resume his michael moore-ish antics and dig up some dirt again
    I won't even mention Australian's dirty little hands around the pacific islands causing all those conflicts around the region.
    Last edited by ullyss; 23rd July 2007 at 02:53 AM.
    http://travel.ullyss.com
    Punkrock died when the first kid said Punkís not dead,punkís not dead

Is it alright for the rich man to pay the poor man a minute minute portion of the profits and take the bulk?
    What on earth are you trying to get at?

Singapore has multiple barriers to prevent foreign ownership or even foreign investment in so called strategic assets/industries. This is a policy and philosophy which I am not discussing here. But it appears to many that it is absolutely fine for Singapore to go and acquired such strategic assets/business overseas. Isn't this double standard?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

What on earth are you trying to get at?

Singapore has multiple barriers to prevent foreign ownership or even foreign investment in so called strategic assets/industries. This is a policy and philosophy which I am not discussing here. But it appears to many that it is absolutely fine for Singapore to go and acquired such strategic assets/business overseas. Isn't this double standard?
    Let's put it this way;

The dog who guards his own food jealously while taking other dogs' because they welcome it..

Is not wrong. It is just dog nature, just like it is just human nature. Which organisation or individual does not have double standards?

The other countries can also put up their multiple barriers. They don't. Is it our fault to buy then, since if we don't, other countries will?

Does not having multiple barriers back in your own country make it any less infuriating to the people of the countries in which you have heavy investment in? No? I thought so.
    Last edited by night86mare; 23rd July 2007 at 08:56 AM.

Let's put it this way;

The dog who guards his own food jealously while taking other dogs' because they welcome it..

Is not wrong. It is just dog nature, just like it is just human nature. Which organisation or individual does not have double standards?

The other countries can also put up their multiple barriers. They don't. Is it our fault to buy then, since if we don't, other countries will?

Does not having multiple barriers back in your own country make it any less infuriating to the people of the countries in which you have heavy investment in? No? I thought so.
    Yes I have a problem with it. What you have demonstrated is the tendency to drift towards the "mine is mine and yours are mine" mentality.

I have been an advocate of free trade and free flow of capital all my life. I don't believe barrier to entry is a rational policy for developed countries. For developing countries, some protection, as much as I hate artificial barriers, may be necessary to incubate the local economy and industries. However, these artificial barriers must be taken down once said country leaves the developing rank.

I also subcribe to a believe, which seems to be a novelty to many, that at the end of the day, the total sum is greater than all the whole if and only if the game is fair. A lobside/biased enviroment will enable one or few parties to gain a disproportioned share of the results, but the total sum will be less that the whole.

Btw, this is not about dogs and poor people.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Yes I have a problem with it. What you have demonstrated is the tendency to drift towards the "mine is mine and yours are mine" mentality.

I have been an advocate of free trade and free flow of capital all my life. I don't believe barrier to entry is a rational policy for developed countries. For developing countries, some protection, as much as I hate artificial barriers, may be necessary to incubate the local economy and industries. However, these artificial barriers must be taken down once said country leaves the developing rank.

I also subcribe to a believe, which seems to be a novelty to many, that at the end of the day, the total sum is greater than all the whole if and only if the game is fair. A lobside/biased enviroment will enable one or few parties to gain a disproportioned share of the results, but the total sum will be less that the whole.

Btw, this is not about dogs and poor people.
    You mean, the tendency to drift towards capitalism? But the whole world's doing that, in short.

So you'd rather we tear down everything and let people purchase all sorts of companies, including defense and utilities? I would be very worried if that happened, indeed.

There is no fair game in reality, in every deal someone stands to gain more than the other, like it or not, and if you know what the prisoners' dilemma is, I guess you'd have understood that your Utopian situation is very much impossible in life, especially in today's context.

No, it is not about dogs, nor about poor people, was merely trying to make a few points with alternative analogies.

Quote Originally Posted by ullyss View Post
    Ansett wasnt f up by the kiwis, the aussies f it up way before that. ANZ just bought it at the wrong timing, while news corp, main shareholder was laughing all the way to the bank. Smart Murdoch who btw is a US citizen had to severe his aussie ties to secure his loyalty with the yanks, thats another story.
    Reiterate, SIA didn't buy into Ansett directly, it had shares in ANZ. Ansett didn't close down coz they didnt want SIA money, quite the opposite, they wanted to be bought by the suckers, ANZ cos they were bleedng long before anyone realised.

quite a few factors in the Ansett demise, first, it was badly managed to begin with, no thanks the kenette legacy, it was overstaffed, over stretched, way too many planes, and the crippling aussie union which added to the burden.
    it was compulsory that it had to fly to non-profitable routes, that is ultimately what killed it
    try maintaining some plane to some obscure town in the outback, but you can't charge too high for it and you have to set up some backend office for it.
    at that time, it was the period of many upstart budget airlines, added to the cost slashing to its profitable routes, also the increase in fuel oil prices. All that eventually killed the company.

a lot of my friends lost their jobs directly and indirectly, Ansett supported many other supplementary companies, it was a huge thing back then with so many people losing their jobs.

but you have to thank SIA and Kiwis for supporting Ansett workers, they were eventually paid a hefty compensation package and they paid off a lot of debtors. Did the Aussies fail to notice that? Silly sucker Kiwis for paying off the Aussies due to poor management on the aussies part. Singapore lost quite a bit of money, more than the reported losses actually.

would you think the Americans would have done so? doubt it

The americans bought up quite a lot of well-known Australian companies long before Singapore and China started with their acquisition, but the Aussie press didn't do much bashing up of the yanks did they? They sure did bash up the Japanese when they were buying up brisbane and gold coast. White Australians really hate asians eh.

and btw, Vegmite is owned by Kraft, the americans bought your national icon!
    and yes, Skippy the roo, and aeroplane jelly, timtams, and what else?
    Fosters group, and southcorp, i can go on and on. where's the big backlash with the americans? sure they are aussie made equivalents, but they are nowhere as successful than all the old brands. Did the aussies boycott their own national brand after that?

Can the Australians be more introspective and start questioning themselves, why did they go on the privatisation binge during Howard's first rein? Don't they know the concept and implications of privatisation? why did they privatise their key sensitive assets to begin to? silly isn't it, they didn't go blame howard for their mistake. Don't they understand what is business and what happens why you start privatising your govt assets, corporations will buy in and take over eventually. Duh, basic economics 101

where's John Safran-the wannabe michael moore of australia these days? He was funny, he tried to poke fun of Ray Martin and got killed for it. Maybe he should resume his michael moore-ish antics and dig up some dirt again
    I won't even mention Australian's dirty little hands around the pacific islands causing all those conflicts around the region.

Agreed about the Aussie's double standards with race. Polleen Hanson maybe gone but her influence is still around isn't it? Also agree that its there own fault that they didn't enact their own policies to limit foreign ownership, all this is simple econ but they apparently are just looking for an easy scapegoat to blame.

I m surprised this Aussie wrote this article. Ozzie is a capitalist country isn't it? So why harp so much when an investor bot shares......it is part of the rules of the game. He should go ask why Soros shorted Asian currencies back in 1997/98; the simple answer is 'it is part of the game'; because the market is there ..... it is the modern financial system.

Nowadays, anybody can buy any shares in the world via electronic trading.....so many brokers to help you. If Ozzie do not like foreigners to buy their shares, close their markets to them like Shanghai.

You mean, the tendency to drift towards capitalism? But the whole world's doing that, in short.

So you'd rather we tear down everything and let people purchase all sorts of companies, including defense and utilities? I would be very worried if that happened, indeed.

There is no fair game in reality, in every deal someone stands to gain more than the other, like it or not, and if you know what the prisoners' dilemma is, I guess you'd have understood that your Utopian situation is very much impossible in life, especially in today's context.

No, it is not about dogs, nor about poor people, was merely trying to make a few points with alternative analogies.
    Actually, mine is mine and yours are mine is not capitalism, it sounds more like marxism to me.

Yes, I do advocate removing all trade barriers.

Even under a completely fair senario, some will still gain more and some will have less, that is perfectly acceptable, as long as the playing field is level, is fair, and everyone is given a fair chance.

Utopia is not a state where we can get to, that I understand. However, trying to get nearer to utopia, and the exercise of getting there, is a good thing.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    I m surprised this Aussie wrote this article. Ozzie is a capitalist country isn't it? So why harp so much when an investor bot shares......it is part of the rules of the game. He should go ask why Soros shorted Asian currencies back in 1997/98; the simple answer is 'it is part of the game'; because the market is there ..... it is the modern financial system.

Nowadays, anybody can buy any shares in the world via electronic trading.....so many brokers to help you. If Ozzie do not like foreigners to buy their shares, close their markets to them like Shanghai.
    The beauty of this article is not whether the author is right or wrong, but that it is actually written and published.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

interesting read...
    i think everyone has missed the boat here.

at the end of the day, this writer is simply trying to stir nationalism or an awareness within his country. whether or not he also has a political motive remains to be seen as well, but guys, relax and read between the lines a bit. australia has its own internal issues, just like singapore just like everywhere else. the article is simpy a device to create awareness and re-read it, he has nothing against singapore or asia. his beef seems to be with the australian government and he gave examples why. his beef was not with singapore yet you guys turn on each other...hehe good stuff, good for a comedy show actually

fark, pat yourselves on the back and move on for pitty sakes...it's their problem. the guy did not bash singapore yet you guys are bashing yourselves over something that should be a compliment...too funny.

Yes a figure of a teethed Merlion with Australia in its chopsticks is oh so friendly... And I'm sure the term 'financial imperialism' has positive connotations.

Does anybody else out there feel a little uneasy about this phenomenon, especially given the secretive, autocratic and undemocratic tendencies of the Singapore Government?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiisg View Post
    interesting read...
    i think everyone has missed the boat here.
    Is Singapore that rich? Why are we subsidising welfare downunder? Do we really have so much monies and not knowing how to utilise or invest in our own economy? Iím not proud to hear or read about how much Singapore had invested or bought, make or loss. Iíll be very proud to know that weíve eradicated poverty with our budget surpluses, free education and low cost medicine from our national investmentsí profits.

Iím beginning to feel/realise that as a citizen, we're a poor lot with no welfare. What have we really done to help our own poor, lower costs of living, education and medical?
    just1book, no kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by Winsonapm View Post
    Is Singapore that rich? Why are we subsidising welfare downunder? Do we really have so much monies and not knowing how to utilise or invest in our own economy? Iím not proud to hear or read about how much Singapore had invested or bought, make or loss. Iíll be very proud to know that weíve eradicated poverty with our budget surpluses, free education and low cost medicine from our national investmentsí profits.

Iím beginning to feel/realise that as a citizen, we're a poor lot with no welfare. What have we really done to help our own poor, lower costs of living, education and medical?
    vote for JBJ!

Let's put it this way;

She's no dog....she's Singa what

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast