Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

Just my two cents.

True, both types of cameras, both prosumers and SLRs can take good pictures, but so can camera phones and plastic cameras with plastic lenses. Why not then get a cheap, compact digital camera and snap away?

Here's why.

All compact digital cameras, consumer and prosumer alike, suffer from one basic defect of design, a small sensor size. While this makes the camera lighter as the lens of the camera doesn't have to zoom as far and can be smaller as well. But, image quality will not be as good as a DSLR, whether full frame or not. The sensor just can't absorb all that information, megapixels notwithstanding.

Also, controlling Depth of Field (DoF) is harder as a smaller sensor size drastically widens DoF. So if you want to focus on a selected spot instead of the whole area, you might find it impossible.

The lens on a Prosumer is rarely high end. It is after all, just a compact camera, abeit a high end one. Also, you get a wide range of choices for lenses to suit your style of photography. With a prosumer, you are limited to the lens your camera came with.

Functions of a Prosumer will still be poorer then a DSLR. Why would camera manufacturers want to handicap their DSLR sales with a prosumer that has just as good features? This are features that you would miss if you are serious about photography as a hobby.

You have more manual control on a DSLR. This means you are able to learn about the technical terms of photography as you take pictures.

To summerise,
    If you are really serious about your hobby, do consider a DSLR. If you don't have the cash, consider a second hand model that is still miles better then your prosumer.
    If you just need a camera for family shots and to mess around a bit, a prosumer or a simple compact is all you need.

Regards,
    Samuel

Hmm... but lens really make a huge diffrerence....?

Like those canon, nikon lens that comes with the pro-consumer camera....

Better concentrate on taking photos more rather then keep buying/upgrading equipment. Simply put, the difference btw DSLR and Prosumer/PnS is $$$$$$ vs $$$. And in DSLR, there is no limit!!! huh huh huh

Quote Originally Posted by Lightworkz View Post
    Better concentrate on taking photos more rather then keep buying/upgrading equipment. Simply put, the difference btw DSLR and Prosumer/PnS is $$$$$$ vs $$$. And in DSLR, there is no limit!!! huh huh huh
    very true....heheh

And if you SUX at photography...give you DSLR or Prosumer or LOMO you still SUX at it....

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    very true....heheh

And if you SUX at photography...give you DSLR or Prosumer or LOMO you still SUX at it....
    I agree. Hmm just asking. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A REVIEW ON CASIO S770 ?? Anyone? Please?

Well, once again, thank you all for advices. I guess i'll only buy a DSLR when i'm older like in 5-6 years time LOL. DSLR really cost a lot. Some lense cost 2k plus or even more! gee!

Quote Originally Posted by photograhper-wannabe View Post
    I agree. Hmm just asking. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A REVIEW ON CASIO S770 ?? Anyone? Please?
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...sio_exz770.asp

Not a full review but you can go to the users review.

As I shoot with both prosumer and DSLR (Oly C-7070 & E1), I find that the main difference is speed. In terms of focusing, shutter lag and writing speed are very significantly different. The other big difference is in terms of manual control like manual focusing zooming (more direct in a DSLR and therefore faster and more feedback). Of course there are other difference in terms of picture quality (very lens dependent), dynamic range etc...

Hope it answers you question...

p/s : Although my E1 is only 5mp, I have printed photo of A1 size with no problem...
    A Picture paints a thousand word.....

TS, my advice is no hurry to rush for a DSLR, if you are a newbie the first thing that is most important to you is the train your "Photographic eyes", you must see how a camera sees and not how you yourself see, albeit some people are born with good compositional abilities. Brush up your skill on photo composition, this is the key to good photographs. If you r not born with this skill then you have to train yourself, go and get a decent PnS and take many many pictures, good or bad never mind, ask yourself why some of your pictures aren't attractive, shift the subject around the frame and observe the effect. When you are ready save up $$$ go buy DSLR. My 1 cent.
    Last edited by Lightworkz; 25th July 2007 at 02:21 PM.

Actually i beg to differ from some of the opinions. There is no doubt that you can get good pictures from both types of cameras. To me it really means how economical is it to get a DSLR versus a prosumer cam. Some high end prosumers are just slightly cheaper than entry level DSLRs. It really depends on how much you're willing to spend. Some are contented with just an entry level DSLR, others are infected by the "buy buy buy" virus and ends up upgrading/buying lots of lenses and bodies. (I'm kinda guilty too, lol)

Some DSLR kit lens doesn't stack up to those high power prosumer zooms in term of versatility. I would see it as a compromise. You gain more control but you lose some versatility. The baseline is if you've got big budget for a prosumer, get a DSLR instead. At least the cost induced in "upgrading" would be reduced, thats in case you decided to.

Just my opinion
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 25th July 2007 at 03:12 PM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

what's the meaning of "full frame" then? i saw a 'full frame' canon that costs as much as a weekend car.

is there such thing as a PnS full frame?
    D80 | 50 f1.4 | 85 f1.8

Quote Originally Posted by foxxkat View Post
    what's the meaning of "full frame" then? i saw a 'full frame' canon that costs as much as a weekend car.

is there such thing as a PnS full frame?
    You wish!

Full frame I think so far only have 2 DSLRs have it? Canon mark something and Canon 5D, 5D is very preferred by landscape photographers, and if I had enough money I'd probably get it. The idea is that the sensor size is larger, not sure what the measurements are but the result is that you get a 1x crop factor, most DSLRs today have a 1.5x or 1.6x crop factor - i.e. a 18mm lens becomes 18 multiplied by crop factor (1.5) to give you 27mm in 35mm film terms. A 18mm lens on a 5D will give you true 18mm in 35mm film terms.

From what I hear, full frame DSLRs have their share of woes as well, I know softness was mentioned before. In any case, the rumours are that it is not worth the trouble and research to develop full-frame further.. So there would probably be no more full-frame DSLRs in future. =(

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    You wish!

Full frame I think so far only have 2 DSLRs have it? Canon mark something and Canon 5D, 5D is very preferred by landscape photographers, and if I had enough money I'd probably get it. The idea is that the sensor size is larger, not sure what the measurements are but the result is that you get a 1x crop factor, most DSLRs today have a 1.5x or 1.6x crop factor - i.e. a 18mm lens becomes 18 multiplied by crop factor (1.5) to give you 27mm in 35mm film terms. A 18mm lens on a 5D will give you true 18mm in 35mm film terms.

From what I hear, full frame DSLRs have their share of woes as well, I know softness was mentioned before. In any case, the rumours are that it is not worth the trouble and research to develop full-frame further.. So there would probably be no more full-frame DSLRs in future. =(
    LOL! haha! Oh well, anyway, i got bad news. Just now i had a stomachache and needed a toliet urgently. I stepped on my camera omg...and the screen cracked a bit.

LOL! haha! Oh well, anyway, i got bad news. Just now i had a stomachache and needed a toliet urgently. I stepped on my camera omg...and the screen cracked a bit.
    time to bring to hopital liao ...

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    time to bring to hopital liao ...
    I havent report it yet. Hmm, anyway, i dont think they will help if it's the screen right?

If it's still under warranty, just send it in and see what they say.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

the main diff is the flexibility. SLRs have interchangeable lens systems, meaning you can use different lenses for different purposes, eg: macro (close-ups), wide-angle or telephoto. also, they generally produce better images, have more megapixels, and many other features. but then, the cons are that they cost a lot more (camera body, lenses, speedlights and other accessories), usually over 1k. they also are bulkier, and consumer cams (compact) are easier to carry around. if you are completely new to photography, start with a compact camera, and slowly make use of the manual functions. also, every professional photographer should have one of these. then, as you begin to become better, try getting a simple DSLR, like the canon 400d, or nikon d80.

DSLR really cost a lot. Some lense cost 2k plus or even more! gee!
    btw 2k is not that expensive for a lens. neither is 17k (600mm f/4) the most expensive lens.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.8photography View Post
    btw 2k is not that expensive for a lens. neither is 17k (600mm f/4) the most expensive lens.
    are you saying that most lens are very expensive since 2k is not "that" expensive?

I havent report it yet. Hmm, anyway, i dont think they will help if it's the screen right?
    yes. that would be the case. but if you dun mind a couple of hundreds, they can get it fixed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast