Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

  1. #1

    Default What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    Hi guys, may i ask what's the diff? And what pics consumer is best taking for?

  2. #2

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    Consumer makes you feel content with what you have...and move on with your life.

    SLR makes you feel insecure with what you DON'T HAVE...and you empty your piggy bank to get lenses that you think are necessary to make good shots....

    don't ever enter this bloody expensive hobby!!! BWAAAA!!!

    PS: I just got Nikon 18-200mm VR for $1.23k..please pardon me.

  3. #3

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    Quote Originally Posted by blowblue View Post
    Consumer makes you feel content with what you have...and move on with your life.

    SLR makes you feel insecure with what you DON'T HAVE...and you empty your piggy bank to get lenses that you think are necessary to make good shots....

    don't ever enter this bloody expensive hobby!!! BWAAAA!!!

    PS: I just got Nikon 18-200mm VR for $1.23k..please pardon me.
    LOL. HAHA! Okay, i have a consumer. DSLR is worth it, isnt it? It snaps good photo and better quality photos

  4. #4

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    Quote Originally Posted by photograhper-wannabe View Post
    LOL. HAHA! Okay, i have a consumer. DSLR is worth it, isnt it? It snaps good photo and better quality photos
    depends on how often you use it. >>whether it is worth it or not

    Yes it does snap better quality photos in terms of colour, brightness and you can use interchangeable lenses that can give more sharpness to photos, higher aperture and more variation in zooming capability.

    BUT in terms of good photos...as in composition or content wise...it's up to the user's capability to "see things"...there are plenty of photographers who are armed with cellphones and consumers and they can put lots of CS users to shame (REALLY!)

    Maybe before you take a plunge in this expensive hobby. you need at least around $2k to start with it (unless you go for second hand)...you might want to consider prosumer cameras like Canon S5...they can take macro and can produce nice pics too....it cost only around 780 dollars from Funan IT malll from what i checked few days ago.

    At least you can get to understand terms like ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed when you play with it.....after playing with it for one year..if not happy with it, then you can donate the camera to your sis or parents and take a plunge into this expensive hobby.

    Photos shot with Canon S5
    http://flickr.com/cameras/canon/powershot_s5_is/

    Photos shot with Canon S3 (older version)
    http://flickr.com/cameras/canon/powershot_s3_is/

    Plus Canon S5 is more compact than my Nikon D70s....and you dont need to buy a dry cabinet (to prevent fungus growth) for your lenses...

  5. #5

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    Quote Originally Posted by blowblue View Post

    PS: I just got Nikon 18-200mm VR for $1.23k..please pardon me.

    Brand new with local warr?

    thats a good price care to share?

  6. #6

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    Quote Originally Posted by blowblue View Post
    depends on how often you use it. >>whether it is worth it or not

    Yes it does snap better quality photos in terms of colour, brightness and you can use interchangeable lenses that can give more sharpness to photos, higher aperture and more variation in zooming capability.

    BUT in terms of good photos...as in composition or content wise...it's up to the user's capability to "see things"...there are plenty of photographers who are armed with cellphones and consumers and they can put lots of CS users to shame (REALLY!)

    Maybe before you take a plunge in this expensive hobby. you need at least around $2k to start with it (unless you go for second hand)...you might want to consider prosumer cameras like Canon S5...they can take macro and can produce nice pics too....it cost only around 780 dollars from Funan IT malll from what i checked few days ago.

    At least you can get to understand terms like ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed when you play with it.....after playing with it for one year..if not happy with it, then you can donate the camera to your sis or parents and take a plunge into this expensive hobby.

    Photos shot with Canon S5
    http://flickr.com/cameras/canon/powershot_s5_is/

    Photos shot with Canon S3 (older version)
    http://flickr.com/cameras/canon/powershot_s3_is/

    Plus Canon S5 is more compact than my Nikon D70s....and you dont need to buy a dry cabinet (to prevent fungus growth) for your lenses...
    Wow, those photos are great, sadly, i bought Casio S770 already. So i most probably train basic photography on it first. Thanks for the advice!

  7. #7

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    Besides the lens changing part, SLR got mirror consumer PnS don't have. SLR definitely needs more maintenance and TLC than consumer PnS.

  8. #8

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightworkz View Post
    Besides the lens changing part, SLR got mirror consumer PnS don't have. SLR definitely needs more maintenance and TLC than consumer PnS.
    What's TLC? I'm new to photography.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    Quote Originally Posted by photograhper-wannabe View Post
    What's TLC? I'm new to photography.
    hahahaha TLC is not a only photography term
    TLC is Tender Loving Care.
    Member of the earth

  10. #10

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dancingdeer/

    another example of a user using a P&S camera..Samsung <Digimax S500 / Kenox S500 / Digimax Cyber 530>.

  11. #11

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    No difference.. If you're going with a consumer DSLR of course. Consumer DSLRs are still DSLRs

  12. #12
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    Quote Originally Posted by photograhper-wannabe View Post
    Hi guys, may i ask what's the diff? And what pics consumer is best taking for?
    consumer refers to the marketing target groups and thus the pricing and features available.

    SLR refers to the viewing mechanism and thus the camera type.

    they dun describe the same thing.

  13. #13

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    woah this is getting confusing...Anyway, anyone went for NDP parade today?

  14. #14

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    Consumer or prosumer?

    Consumer cams are anything which target the consumer, i.e. the majority of the market. So you'd get small slick cams with small sensor sizes and possibly less manual functions, depending which model you choose. Less thinking and knowledge on photography needed to operate them to the fullest of their abilities, though goes without saying that consumer cams are still definitely able to produce good pictures. There are good photojournalists who use consumer cams to make their shots, it's just knowing what your equipment's strengths and weaknesses are.

    If you are talking about prosumer, I wrote a short article on it a while back here - click on link to access.

    And this is not Kopitiam, try to keep the discussion here photography related, and if you wish to start a thread on NDP in Kopitiam, more than welcome to! =)

  15. #15
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    consumer refers to the marketing target groups and thus the pricing and features available.

    SLR refers to the viewing mechanism and thus the camera type.

    they dun describe the same thing.
    u r good!

    i think TS probably is comparing Prosumer and SLR..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Deep Deep in the sea
    Posts
    3,409

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    Alot of differences haha

    firstly is the sensors

    2nd is the range of lenses you CAN BUY!

    3rd composing thru the lenses is different from shoot thru the LCD

    4th is SLR looks bigger and attracts more attention from Models at Shows

    I was using a Pro-Consumer prior to getting my DSLR, I would say the Pro-Consumer camera produces very satisfactory photos and the capabilities is great, with many features that a DSLR offers, but i was bugged with slow shutter release, very slow focusing, burst shot was limited to 1.5fps.

    but i could take video with it, It was cheap, the slow focusing forced me to compose more carefully as not to miss the shot, I could keep in my side pocket, I can see the 'effect' immediately on the LCD while composing.

    I love every camera I have, each offering its own functionality

  17. #17
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    Quote Originally Posted by photograhper-wannabe View Post
    woah this is getting confusing...Anyway, anyone went for NDP parade today?
    there is a few way to classify camera

    1. film v.s. digital
    2. size of sensor
    3. viewfinding

    for new users, we are mostly in the sub-35mm digital sensor group, which gives a few (not exhaustive, but dun want to confuse you) options.

    1. compacts
    2. SLR-shaped like and non-SLR-shaped like prosumers
    3. DSLR

    there are some overlapping features, but generally represent increasing physical size, increasing image quality and increasing amount of control.

    it is difficult to cover everything, but in general, people who demand better image quality and versatility of uses will navigate towards DSLR while those who wanted light weight and small size's ease of carrying and who doesn't bother about optimising the settings will navigate to the compacts. there are many differences in many things including the major difference in mechanism/usage but the final determinants of users eventually fall into this two factors - weight v.s. versatility. prosumer balances the two, with a decent weight and decent control.

    on the other hand, pricing for marketing set consumer and professional as broad categories, and these categories have different expectations - one wanted the most decent photos out of little effort, one wanted the best photos from the equipment that does not limit their efforts.

    if you have no idea absolutely about photography, and have no strong desires to achieve something, it is better off just picking up a prosumer camera to try, which night86mare have a better idea on. nowadays one does not need to like photography to buy a handphone camera or a compact. only when one gets serious, targetting himself or herself to be able to shoot the best out of what he/she likes, will there be a desire into the higher levels to see if that satisfy him/her.
    Last edited by zoossh; 21st July 2007 at 11:26 PM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Consumer or prosumer?

    Consumer cams are anything which target the consumer, i.e. the majority of the market. So you'd get small slick cams with small sensor sizes and possibly less manual functions, depending which model you choose. Less thinking and knowledge on photography needed to operate them to the fullest of their abilities, though goes without saying that consumer cams are still definitely able to produce good pictures. There are good photojournalists who use consumer cams to make their shots, it's just knowing what your equipment's strengths and weaknesses are.

    If you are talking about prosumer, I wrote a short article on it a while back here - click on link to access.

    And this is not Kopitiam, try to keep the discussion here photography related, and if you wish to start a thread on NDP in Kopitiam, more than welcome to! =)
    read up on ur lengthy thread on prosumer cameras..

    i'm currently using a prosumer --> http://flickr.com/cameras/panasonic/dmc-fz8/

    reason being i wanna learn more about the various settings and techniques of photography and with a smaller budget. Used a canon ixus PnS camera and it served me well over the years, but i wanna learn more.. i wanna learn how to do my own settings for eg. to take night shots, instead of switching to night mode...
    You Need Some Madness In Life To Stay Sane
    http://emuted.multiply.com

  19. #19

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    Prosumer vs DSLR...hahaha...was in the same situation like u

    My advice is this...A good photograph depends on the phototgrapher..not the camera...U can good pictures with your PnS, Prosumers and DSLR...as long as u have your basics right...like composition

    I used to use PnS...then realised I enjoyed photography...moved to Prosumer...then realised the shutter lag ( i think I was using Nikon Coolpix 5800)...until my wife told me...just go get a SLR...yes it is costly...but boy did it really brought my photography to the next level...

    Having said that...a good photographer doesn't need the top of the range camera bodies with the top of the range lenses. A good photographer has KNOWLEDGE and CREATIVITY.
    I used to bring a whole big bag of camera kit when I go on holiday. But then I realises it's a hassle and nowadays just bring a good PnS. Understanding its limitations, I just took shots like landscape and street photography...and go back and do a bit of PS.

    U can see many people who can afford a DSLR but doesnt know about its limitations. Imagine shooting fireworks with a kit lens...handheld...just shows the person has little knowledge...and I am referring to me....hahaha

    So at the end of the day...buy a DSLR when u are ready to bring your photography to the next step...u will learn a lot about it...oh yeah...please also use manual settingsrather than all auto.. so u fully understand about exposure..just remember...its a costly hobby....lenses and body dont come cheap....

    And finally...there is a reason why commercial photographers e.g wedding photographers use SLR....flash control only comes with a DSLR.....

    btw..im no expert...ust my 2 cents worth

  20. #20

    Default Re: What is the diff between SLR and Consumer?

    Quote Originally Posted by reaper3075 View Post
    read up on ur lengthy thread on prosumer cameras..

    i'm currently using a prosumer --> http://flickr.com/cameras/panasonic/dmc-fz8/

    reason being i wanna learn more about the various settings and techniques of photography and with a smaller budget. Used a canon ixus PnS camera and it served me well over the years, but i wanna learn more.. i wanna learn how to do my own settings for eg. to take night shots, instead of switching to night mode...
    Hehe, yeah, that's what I did too with my H2 when I first got interested in photography. Was worried it would be a passing phase, so best not to commit first. Also in a way it wasn't so bad, I guess if I had gone into DSLR straight I won't have monkeyed around as much as I did with my H2, i.e. go all sorts of places, and it's a more gradual learning ladder to climb up, if you ask me.

    The good thing about prosumers is that they offer good value for money, and you get a whole range of zoom so you can test out what sort of things you like to shoot. 18-55 standard kit lens is pretty limiting if you ask me, the 12x zoom on most prosumers minimum would allow you to experiment with all sorts of things, find the area you're interested in, so that you gain a better knowledge of yourself and what you want in the area of photography. =) Trying in DSLR, is not so cheap, hahaha.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •