Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

  1. #1

    Default Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Dear Frenz,

    This lens good for portrait.
    Is it good for sports/games like basketball,netball,volleyball,sepak takraw,martial arts competition etc.?.
    As these are mainly indoor but some are open courts.
    Is the 1.4/1.8 stop still works for this kind of situation especially with fast moving action of the games?.
    Tried with 24-105 f/4 but brightness not satisfactory.Try to avoid using flash.
    Sorry,still learning lah.
    Last edited by MRH; 20th July 2007 at 01:23 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Dear Frenz,

    This lens good for portrait.
    Is it good for sports/games like basketball,netball,volleyball,sepak takraw,martial arts competition etc.?.
    As these are mainly indoor but some are open courts.
    Is the 1.4/1.8 stop still works for this kind of situation especially with fast moving action of the games?.
    Tried with 24-105 f/4 but brightness not satisfactory.Try to avoid using flash.
    Sorry,still learning lah.
    Well, it's possible. Control the ISO and make sure you able to utilise a good shutter speed of more than 1/125 to freeze the action.

    Do note that composition may not be easy with a prime, do practise a few rounds...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Dear Frenz,

    This lens good for portrait.
    Is it good for sports/games like basketball,netball,volleyball,sepak takraw,martial arts competition etc.?.
    As these are mainly indoor but some are open courts.
    Is the 1.4/1.8 stop still works for this kind of situation especially with fast moving action of the games?.
    Tried with 24-105 f/4 but brightness not satisfactory.Try to avoid using flash.
    Sorry,still learning lah.
    You are right about the wide apetures enabling you to have faster shutter speeds. Bur for sports, you'll most likely need a longer fast lens.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Thanks,my frenz.
    I have the Sigma 70-300mm f/3.5 APO DG.
    Maybe I can try this(on shutter 125 or more) with the help of external flash.
    Do you think it'll work?.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Thanks,my frenz.
    I have the Sigma 70-300mm f/3.5 APO DG.
    Maybe I can try this(on shutter 125 or more) with the help of external flash.
    Do you think it'll work?.
    For those mentioned sport events, the use of flash would be prohibited. Just as you have mentioned.

    At 300mm, do take note of camera shake. Are you refering to the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6? At 300mm, it'll be f/5.6. Might not be fast enough to 'freeze' the action.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by ipin View Post
    For those mentioned sport events, the use of flash would be prohibited. Just as you have mentioned.

    At 300mm, do take note of camera shake. Are you refering to the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6? At 300mm, it'll be f/5.6. Might not be fast enough to 'freeze' the action.
    Thanks,Ipin.
    I guess so.
    Any lens to recommend.Of course not the L lens.Cannot afford.
    EF28-135?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Thanks,Ipin.
    I guess so.
    Any lens to recommend.Of course not the L lens.Cannot afford.
    EF28-135?
    If you are planning to get alens for only one or two events, I'll advise you to save your hard earned money and borrow from some friends. Else, just push up your ISO.

    The Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, is still at f/5.6 at 135mm! This is even shorter than your 300mm. Any reason for mentioning it (from a 300mm to a 135mm)? I was under the impression that you want a longer reach and faster lens.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by ipin View Post
    If you are planning to get alens for only one or two events, I'll advise you to save your hard earned money and borrow from some friends. Else, just push up your ISO.

    The Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, is still at f/5.6 at 135mm! This is even shorter than your 300mm. Any reason for mentioning it (from a 300mm to a 135mm)? I was under the impression that you want a longer reach and faster lens.
    Something like that but I know will cost a bomb!.
    Anyway thanks for your advise,Ipin.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    You might want to try renting some of the faster primes like the 85 1.2L or 135 f/2L (Best value of money prime) and see if it works for you before looking for possibly 3rd party alternatives.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

  10. #10
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    I believe it should be alright to shoot with the prime f/1.8 lenses. Been to a stunt bike/skateboarding arena at Somerset recently, was there at night and using a f/2.8 xoom lens but find that the exposures aren't satisfactory especially when you dun wanna up your ISO and attempting to freeze motion. My buddy who was equipped with a f/1.8 prime did better.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  11. #11

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    I believe it should be alright to shoot with the prime f/1.8 lenses. Been to a stunt bike/skateboarding arena at Somerset recently, was there at night and using a f/2.8 xoom lens but find that the exposures aren't satisfactory especially when you dun wanna up your ISO and attempting to freeze motion. My buddy who was equipped with a f/1.8 prime did better.
    Thanks,bro.
    Will try with the 50mm.
    But composition will be difficult bcos of the distance and area.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Thanks,bro.
    Will try with the 50mm.
    But composition will be difficult bcos of the distance and area.
    If the only long lens is at f/5.6, the only way is to bump up your ISO to get the shot.
    I grainy shot is better than nothing.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Thanks,bro.
    Will try with the 50mm.
    But composition will be difficult bcos of the distance and area.
    Yeah bro, with a 50mm you'll probably wanna get close to your subject or end up cropping out quite a bit from the shot.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  14. #14
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by ipin View Post
    If the only long lens is at f/5.6, the only way is to bump up your ISO to get the shot.
    I grainy shot is better than nothing.
    Agree with you bro. I usually limit myself to ISO 1250 at max, anything more the noise is intolerable in my opinion (at least for my cam ). Yeah, sometimes it better off than nothing.
    With poor lighting at night f/5.6 definitely ain't enough. For day events, its definitely good at obtaining quick shutter with low ISO.
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 23rd July 2007 at 03:59 PM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  15. #15
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Thanks,my frenz.
    I have the Sigma 70-300mm f/3.5 APO DG.
    Maybe I can try this(on shutter 125 or more) with the help of external flash.
    Do you think it'll work?.
    Sometimes it can be tricky as your flash might not be strong enough to cover the distance. An example would be the mentioned scenario of attempting to shoot a basketball match indoors while sitted far away. You'll need a fast zoom lens for that.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  16. #16

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Is it good for sports/games like basketball,netball,volleyball,sepak takraw,martial arts competition etc.?
    depends on how close you can get to the action. you may find 50mm not long enough, even with crop factor. and at f1.4, the depth of field is so thin that it's easy to miss focus.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    Agree with you bro. I usually limit myself to ISO 1250 at max, anything more the noise is intolerable in my opinion (at least for my cam ). Yeah, sometimes it better off than nothing.
    With poor lighting at night f/5.6 definitely ain't enough. For day events, its definitely good at obtaining quick shutter with low ISO.
    canon camera can safely reach ISO3200 with almost no noise...dun worry too much

    Quote Originally Posted by pai View Post
    depends on how close you can get to the action. you may find 50mm not long enough, even with crop factor. and at f1.4, the depth of field is so thin that it's easy to miss focus.
    sports u will need larger DOF...f1.4 is just too thin...action too fast also...

  18. #18
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by westwest2 View Post
    canon camera can safely reach ISO3200 with almost no noise...dun worry too much
    Haa haa, yeah especially true if you own a Canon 5D or one from the 1D series. Won't say thats generally affordable to most. Can't comment much for the canon entry and mid range level models since I've not owned one before.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  19. #19

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Dear Frenz,

    This lens good for portrait.
    Is it good for sports/games like basketball,netball,volleyball,sepak takraw,martial arts competition etc.?.
    As these are mainly indoor but some are open courts.
    Is the 1.4/1.8 stop still works for this kind of situation especially with fast moving action of the games?.
    Tried with 24-105 f/4 but brightness not satisfactory.Try to avoid using flash.
    Sorry,still learning lah.
    Get an 85mm f/1.8 prime lens. Indoor sports photographers usually go with this option (this should be enough to convince you) and for good reason - the f/1.8 gives you speed and the focal length is pretty appropriate.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Can shoot with 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

    Yup, I think a 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 can step up for that kind of shoot. However, if you want to have more reach, I suggest that you go for an 80-200mm f/2.8 or a cheaper 50-150 f/2.8.. Found these beautiful Asian models and I think these images were made using a 50mm or a 105mm prime.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •