Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Everybody needs RAID! please do so today!

Default Re: Everybody needs RAID! please do so today!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    with budget constraint, just get another HDD, use one of those free utilities, and back up ... simple as that
    Agree... get those HDD wif 1 touch backup facility.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Could you please elaborate "HDD wif 1 touch backup facility" for an IT idiot here. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post

a HDD with a backup button.

Quote Originally Posted by dogcom View Post
    Could you please elaborate "HDD wif 1 touch backup facility" for an IT idiot here. Thanks.
    Google loh.

Some info linked here.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Well the question is how much redundency you need. You can have state of the art NAS but there will always be posibbility of failures too, just how slim the chance. No amount of redundency technology is gonna save your data in event of a fire for example. Best alternative is to keep multiple backup copies on different media.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

With digital, you actually can have redundancy. Just imagine, the place where you stored the original slides and negatives went up in flames ....

now duplicate copies of raw and final images can be stored remotely in multiple locations Only problem is, the storage medium is itself not so stable
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Yes, indeed very simple with just a simple push/press of the button and backup is in progress.
    Simple solution.(That's why I bought my 3-Ext HDD all with 'One-torch' feature).
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

Quote Originally Posted by blueskye168 View Post
    Yes, indeed very simple with just a simple push/press of the button and backup is in progress.
    Simple solution.(That's why I bought my 3-Ext HDD all with 'One-torch' feature).
    How does it work ? Press a button and it does the backup ? What kind of backup ? Latest updated files or everything ? Any 1 button press to restore or how to restore ?
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    Well the question is how much redundency you need. You can have state of the art NAS but there will always be posibbility of failures too, just how slim the chance. No amount of redundency technology is gonna save your data in event of a fire for example. Best alternative is to keep multiple backup copies on different media.
    If possible, house them(Ext HDD) under different roof(which I did for 1-of them)
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

If possible, house them(Ext HDD) under different roof(which I did for 1-of them)
    Yeap agree with bro blueskye on this point.

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    How does it work ? Press a button and it does the backup ? What kind of backup ? Latest updated files or everything ? Any 1 button press to restore or how to restore ?
    Hi megaweb for your info I'm using Maxtor One-Touch III & II & mini(diff applications) there's this instructions-guide bklet to read or you may visit their site for more details.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    Yeap agree with bro blueskye on this point.
    bro

Thanks

have 1 network HDD set up in another room, 2 HDDs in your own room, 1 set of prints in your drawer, another set in your relatives place, 1 set in every continent. In this case, unless the whole world goes kaboom, your pics are always safe and backed up.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    have 1 network HDD set up in another room, 2 HDDs in your own room, 1 set of prints in your drawer, another set in your relatives place, 1 set in every continent. In this case, unless the whole world goes kaboom, your pics are always safe and backed up.
    Wah thats ultra redundency, "1 set in every continent".

Backing up is one issue but keeping them up to date is individual discipline, can have many HDDs but seldom synchronize or backup will be as good as none.

And it's kinda of hard to have remote backup.
    My remote backup is done by buying a hosting account. There are many web hosting companies out there who provide very generous storage. I signed with one which gives me 300GB storage and 3000GB traffic. The domain name is free if you pay up for one year. I paid about US$96 for a year. The only problem with this option is the super slow upload speed with even the fastest connections here unless you happen to have a dedicated lease line! But its ok for me. Just leave the uploading on in the background while I do other stuff with my computer. Of course, all this is in addition to doing regular backups on other local hard drives in whatever RAID flavour you like, or DVD, etc...

different casing you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    any self-help read i can get to set up a network HDD? i'm not very computer literate but can learnt from a recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    My remote backup is done by buying a hosting account. There are many web hosting companies out there who provide very generous storage. I signed with one which gives me 300GB storage and 3000GB traffic. The domain name is free if you pay up for one year. I paid about US$96 for a year. The only problem with this option is the super slow upload speed with even the fastest connections here unless you happen to have a dedicated lease line! But its ok for me. Just leave the uploading on in the background while I do other stuff with my computer. Of course, all this is in addition to doing regular backups on other local hard drives in whatever RAID flavour you like, or DVD, etc...
    does the uploading slow down your pc?

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    I would definitely drop the idea of uploading it to some internet remote storage unless its meant for sharing purpose, a external HDD is way faster. At the current rate of our dear ISP, good external harddisk is at least 20x faster.

yea i store mine on a external hdd and keep a copy in my com too.At least if 1 fails i have a backup.Unless i damn suay both fail me.That would be a real disaster

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast