Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to buying a dedicated macro lens?

Default Re: Alternative to buying a dedicated macro lens?

thot this thread died... surprised to see responses after so long...

foxxkat: for reverse macro, don't be too greedy & get the lens that gives u the highest magnification :P -- the highest i tried was around 35mm to 40mm (although I suspect it was closer to the 40mm). Anything beyond that is just not humanly when shooting handheld -- shake is amplified tremendously. And I think a tripod would not help either, given the razor thin DOF.

I have tried a few different set ups before, including a macro convertor. In the end, I still prefer the reverse set up, despite the challenges it brings (that is why you see only 4 pix in my macro convertor shots). You can click on my gallery to see pictures taken with the following setup:
    - Nikkor 105mm micro (the non-VR version)
    - Reverse 50mm
    - Reverse 28-70mm
    - x2 macro convertor with 50mm
    - Tamron 90mm

i like wat i'm seeing here http://picasaweb.google.com/nyxx88/Reverse50mmMacros

anyone knows if i use the sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 Macro instead of reversing the 50mm.. will the sigma able to get this kind of magnification?
    D80 | 50 f1.4 | 85 f1.8

Trying out the reverse macro with a male to male adapter using a 70-300mm and a 50mm.

To get in focus I need to be like less than 10mm away from the subject. No way i can shoot insects like that.

How do you guys open the aperture. I'm using a folded piece and wedge the latch so it stays open. The paper keeps falling off and the apertures springs close.

Manage to get some shots though.

Last edited by sherchoo; 2nd November 2007 at 08:56 AM.
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

Quote Originally Posted by sherchoo View Post
    Trying out the reverse macro with a male to male adapter using a 70-300mm and a 50mm.

To get in focus I need to be like less than 10mm away from the subject. No way i can shoot insects like that.

How do you guys open the aperture. I'm using a folded piece and wedge the latch so it stays open. The paper keeps falling off and the apertures springs close.
    You're using the G lens equivalent right?? Those without aperture rings... yeah, I would think it's difficult to use those lenses for reverse macros.

Look for a cheap lens with a aperture ring. It will allow you to stop the aperture at the desired size.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    You're using the G lens equivalent right?? Those without aperture rings... yeah, I would think it's difficult to use those lenses for reverse macros.

Look for a cheap lens with a aperture ring. It will allow you to stop the aperture at the desired size.
    Not exactly know what's G lens but now I'm attaching the 70-300mm lens to the body and the reverse the Minolta AF 50mm F1.7. This lens aperture can be pushed open but it will spring close when release.

Not exactly know what's G lens but now I'm attaching the 70-300mm lens to the body and the reverse the Minolta AF 50mm F1.7. This lens aperture can be pushed open but it will spring close when release.
    Does it have an aperture ring??

The part labelled 4 and 7... Picture from MIR.com.my
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Does it have an aperture ring??

The part labelled 4 and 7... Picture from MIR.com.my
    Ahhh... I get it now.... the lens I have do not have the manual aperture ring.

*Image from ebay for illustration purpose only

So you can choose to buy a cheap lens with a larger aperture and with the same front filter thread size to use for this purpose (you can look for a manual focus lens with the aperture ring). This is in reality a powerful close-up filter...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

So you can choose to buy a cheap lens with a larger aperture and with the same front filter thread size to use for this purpose. This is in reality a powerful close-up filter...
    however, when I use this config I'm like 5~10mm away from the subject. Will be darn diffiucult to get a decent shot of insects. Did I get it wrong?

So you can choose to buy a cheap lens with a larger aperture and with the same front filter thread size to use for this purpose (you can look for a manual focus lens with the aperture ring). This is in reality a powerful close-up filter...
    Sorry, newbie question.... when you said larger aperture, you reffering to lens with smaller f number right?

however, when I use this config I'm like 5~10mm away from the subject. Will be darn diffiucult to get a decent shot of insects. Did I get it wrong?
    Yes, this is only good for still life or for insects which are not so skitterish.

Sorry, newbie question.... when you said larger aperture, you reffering to lens with smaller f number right?
    Yes, a smaller one like f1.8 (pretty cheap for the aperture size), f1.4 lens would be too expensive to be used in such a way.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I tried using reverse lens some time ago. Quite difficult to "close in" on insects as the working distance is really short. Need to go very near in order to get focus. DOF is also very shallow. In the end i gave up and switch to close up +4 instead hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
    I tried using reverse lens some time ago. Quite difficult to "close in" on insects as the working distance is really short. Need to go very near in order to get focus. DOF is also very shallow. In the end i gave up and switch to close up +4 instead hahaha.
    You can play with the DOF by stopping down the aperture slightly... But still won't give you as much as the dedicated macro lenses of say f32 or f64...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Went thru some webpages and realised that the MF lenses has the aperture rings. I guess that is what I should be looking for if I want to play around with this macro....

Went thru some webpages and realised that the MF lenses has the aperture rings. I guess that is what I should be looking for if I want to play around with this macro....
    not necessarily. Nikkor AF-D lenses have aperture rings as well. n their AF works on all Nikon cameras, other than a D40/x. but then again, most good macro shooters here will tell u they use MF. it's really much easier to work with.
    Trust me, I'm not so bad! | TangShooters

i have a 18-200mm and a 50mm prime, is there an available adapter to reverse the 50mm prime?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewtansj View Post
    i have a 18-200mm and a 50mm prime, is there an available adapter to reverse the 50mm prime?
    The 18-200 VR is a 72mm thread size lens. The 50mm, on the other hand, is a 52mm thread size lens. You can probably get a male to male coupling ring and a step down ring (not sure if there's any coupling step-down ring), but the problem is, u'll most probably experience vignetting if I'm not wrong, due to the vast difference in the lens diameters. 20mm is ALOT.

hhmm.... icic... thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by andrewtansj View Post
    hhmm.... icic... thanks for the info
    i may be wrong in the vignetting part. u might wan to check with other more experienced fellow photographers here.

Quote Originally Posted by SolBadGuy View Post
    i may be wrong in the vignetting part. u might wan to check with other more experienced fellow photographers here.
    Definitely...

I tried reversing a 24mm on a 90mm, the thread difference is 55mm down to 52mm, and there's quite a bit of vignetting already...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast