Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: have you display the national flag ?

Default Re: have you display the national flag ?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Anything else to say? I do not like the Singapore press' sensationalisation of many things, and disagree with their methods sometimes, but the use of the word "opposition" is a moot point, if you'd pardon me saying it.
    It's moot only because you accept it. I don't.

The mindset it encourages is hardly encouraging.

As predicted.

I wrote so much, and you refute it with a one-liner that claims something which cannot be proven and cannot be backed up. Let's see, credibility is running pretty low on your side, IN MY VIEW. Of course, you may choose to NOT ACCEPT that.. =)

Delusion is bliss, in such cases. In any case, the global mass media are all monsters who seek to demonise and stereotype and brainwash people.

So what makes you any different? =)
    Last edited by night86mare; 19th July 2007 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Provide some alternatives, which are reasonable, and maybe I might start listening to your points. Until then, all I've seen is emotional logic, and best part is you can't even point out what's wrong, all you do is make illogical statements which are sweeping and an over-generalisation without any backup. Granted this is an online forums, but take note: as an adult you should be mature enough to know that you are responsible for what you say in one way or another, and this is not helping.
    There are alternatives, but I'm not allowed to discuss them here, apparently.

Anyway, why don't you go to the developed countries-- US, UK, Australia, etc.-- and see for yourself what they have that we don't?

"..start listening to your points"-- Whether you listen or not doesn't matter.

"...emotional logic"-- what a contradiction of terms!

"..illogical statements, overgeneralisation"-- please point them out.

"... this is not helping."-- I'm not trying to help anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Ultimately its abt the heart.

I'm willing to be a Kamikaze bomber for the Nation. But if I dun put up the National Flag during NDP period, does it mean that I'm less patriotic until I commit Harakiri and spill my guts in front of Istana main gate?
    No need Kamikaze and Harakiri lah.

Our bombs can find the targets by themselves and we know how to point the katana forward not backward.

"... you refute it with a one-liner that claims something which cannot be proven and cannot be backed up."

What's there to prove to you? You don't believe in the power of positive thinking? Have you heard of self-fulfilling prophecy? Google if you need to.

"Let's see, credibility is running pretty low on your side, IN MY VIEW."

How would you know whose credibility is lower?
    Last edited by waileong; 19th July 2007 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    No need Kamikaze and Harakiri lah.

Our bombs can find the targets by themselves and we know how to point the katana forward not backward.

Wah, damn cheem logic!

\ignores rabid ranting on the side, made my point for everyone reading this thread i guess

P.S. I heart the Selective Quoting Syndrome in CS.. =)
    Last edited by night86mare; 19th July 2007 at 12:17 PM.

Sorry, you're mistaken. I didn't say hanging the flag was associated with political parties. It was the poster before me, ie centuryegg. I said I agreed with him. I also went on to talk about the use of the term "opposition" in Singapore, which I feel has been misused, even by those in political parties themselves. It was a digression, but in no way a pro or anti any party per se, just to explain how I think the term has been misused here. But I did of course express my frustration at having to write it as P-A-P because of the ***.

Again, it was centuryegg who said we have a long way to go unlike Americans, Brits, etc. I said I agreed, and said this could not be achieved by NE. There is nothing in this post about political parties or opposition. I do feel that you can't force people to be proud of Singapore by making them go through national education or sing national songs. Or indeed, by going around to "encourage" people into flying flags.

I hope you can see the above clearly. I, yes me, I didn't politicise it.

Here's a question for you as a moderator-- if we don't talk political parties, if we want to just talk about singapore, eg. whether NE is a way to make S'poreans feel more proud of their country, is that considered discussing "politics" and hence not allowed here? If so, that's a shame, because there are things which can be discussed without bringing political parties or political beliefs into the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01 View Post
    Here is a fine example. A simple question is asked about displaying the national flag. And the issues discuss was loyalty and look at what happened, you, yes, you politicised and make it that loyalty is associated to political parties. NE was and is never about parties it is about being a Nation nothing about opposition.

Anyway, the rules in this forum are very simple. One of it is no political discussions, whether you like it or not thats the rule here. So let us not push the envelope any further. You want to be a guest in this forum abide by the rules if not you are not welcome, period.
    Last edited by waileong; 19th July 2007 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Simple act? Hmm.... well, if that's what u'd said.

But really, I probably wun be in the mood to put up the flag this year. Not sure why. And BTW, it has nothing to do with price raising policies. Its something else that had been bugging me since October last year.
    66.6 will put up flag this year?

well, i kinda wonder... since i am not a sgrean... but stay here long enuff...

i can sing the mahjula singapura, the national day songs in primary school... since i find that its nothing wrong... its like a respect to the country... until when i go secondary school... a teacher come to me and say, foreign student dun sing anthem and just stand and keep quiet thru out the morning ceremony will do... so i was thinking long and hard... hmm... ok... i stand attention as a form of respect...

well... sg is a very unique country... alot of times, political party are mistaken = to the country... well, i think its like a company... the company employ the MD, etc, and workers... people work for the benefit of the company... and then everyone get rewarded... if something goes wrong... change MD or CEO... something of that manner... so if you love your country, just raise the flag...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    Here's a question for you as a moderator-- if we don't talk political parties, if we want to just talk about singapore, eg. whether NE is a way to make S'poreans feel more proud of their country, is that considered discussing "politics" and hence not allowed here? If so, that's a shame, because there are things which can be discussed without bringing political parties or political beliefs into the picture.
    Here's my answer, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    why cannot concentrate on just putting up the flag and proud of it???

It's a singaporean thing, not abt loyalty to certain parties...............
    Cos this idea of hanging flags everywhere in Singapore comes from certain party (they even mount the hooks for u and have ppl go 'encourage' u to fly the flag).. to show Singaporeans have great life, happily celebrating national day and that this certain party has done a great job (and if ppl dun hang, they will 'volunteer' the flags so as to maintain that image whole island is behind this certain party)

I am willing to die for my country (in war) but see no need to fly flag to 'express' my love for Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01 View Post
    Here's my answer, what do you think?
    What's the answer?

Well, then we will talk about policies lor.

Anyway, why don't you go to the developed countries-- US, UK, Australia, etc.-- and see for yourself what they have that we don't?
    I would say I stand with waileong on this. Just book an European tour package (e.g. UK, France, Germany, Switzerland, etc.) and see for yourself. Try to see people's strengths, not our strengths. You will see that their strengths are much more than our strengths. Try to see why European countries are so powerful culturally, socially, and economically. Those who are better travelled will see waileong's point. If you have run out of money to travel, go borrow some books on European history.

Obviously, someone is a TRUE patriot here. No doubt. Does that mean waileong and I are not patriots? Why must you keep using the election-favorite phrase 'never offering an alternative'? What waileong also meant here is that there are many things which the government dare not implement! Alternatives have always been flowing into the government departments, but to have the courage to implement a certain policy needs a statesman with a lot of guts! Yes, I agree that Singapore is good, but it can be better, right? You want Singapore to progress or to dwindle back to a fishing village? We have no lack of alternative suggestions by the public and the scholars (and those are from Cornell, MIT, Cambridge, 东大,北大,etc., mind you). These well-written analyses and papers (usually written by people who sit behind a desk, mind you) are not hard to find. (Dig into the socio-journals published by the relevant institutes and schools.) Do you read essays in INSIGHTS in The Straits Times or 社论 in Lianhe Zaobao? Passionate Singaporeans have already raised more than enough alternatives for Singapore to be a better country! Yes, it is true that the government has implemented some stuff suggested by the public. We are grateful to them, but those are the mini stuff. How about the big stuff? Sometimes they know that a certain policy will do a lot of good to the people, but they are unwilling to sacrifice certain 'stuff' to execute it. We do acknowledge that every country has her own problems; some policies can never be implemented, we all know that. But that doesn't mean we cannot be unhappy with our country. We all want our country to be a 'dream state', as I quote this term by a socio-economic guru, I have nothing further to add. The flag is a personal thing. Don't mix.

Yes. And such pride doesn't come from NE programmes, or from singing national songs or reciting pledges.
    May I pls..

"Yes. And such pride doesn't come from NE Propaganda, or from singing Silly national songs or reciting Peoms."

National Education is nice phase for Propaganda.

national songs=brain washing tools

Singapore Pledge = peoms coz Singaporeans never take it seriously and certain party disregard it.

This was a thread asking if you have displayed your national flag.

If you want to further debate the merits of doing so or even the political motivation behind the need for flying your national flag, please do so else where.

Waileong et al, as much as i respect the fact that you may have your views in regards to this matter, i ask you to also respect our wish that this discussion be taken else where.

Thank you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123