Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: have you display the national flag ?

Default Re: have you display the national flag ?

if american living in singapore, can hang US flag?

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    Not a sgrean here, but its rather not about the RC guys, but your respect & love for your own country that you put the flag up.

If you don't feel like it, then don't put... dun put just becos everybody put, put it for a reason.
    Please don't believe that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    Please don't believe that.
    I am a Singaporean and proud to be one. I put a new flag every year to celebrate my country independence. You have a problem with that!

I do understand your sentiment about having negative feeling about Singapore and Singaporean. After all, you are experiencing the negative Singaporean in yourself everyday. As I assumed that you are a Singaporean and you, so far do not have anything good to say about your country and her people

Why would I do that so that some RC members can score points during some minister's walkabout?
    why do you want to compromise your love for your country over some petty concerns that someone is going to score some point? unless you think that the latter is more important than your identity as a citizen of this country.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Ultimately its abt the heart.

I'm willing to be a Kamikaze bomber for the Nation. But if I dun put up the National Flag during NDP period, does it mean that I'm less patriotic until I commit Harakiri and spill my guts in front of Istana main gate?
    no one's going to say that you're not patriotic, but it's such a simple act isn't it?

just a matter whether you want to take it out and show or not.

Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01 View Post
    I do understand your sentiment about having negative feeling about Singapore and Singaporean. After all, you are experiencing the negative Singaporean in yourself everyday. As I assumed that you are a Singaporean and you, so far do not have anything good to say about your country and her people
    Do you? Then why the thumbs down graphic?

Quote Originally Posted by Eikin
    why do you want to compromise your love for your country over some petty concerns that someone is going to score some point? unless you think that the latter is more important than your identity as a citizen of this country.
    Maybe you should ask why the RC people have to go house-to-house to encourage people in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    no one's going to say that you're not patriotic, but it's such a simple act isn't it?
    Simple act? Hmm.... well, if that's what u'd said.

But really, I probably wun be in the mood to put up the flag this year. Not sure why. And BTW, it has nothing to do with price raising policies. Its something else that had been bugging me since October last year.

I think the whole issue about the flag is because in Singapore, does loyalty to Singapore mean loyalty to country or loyalty to party. Unfortunately here in our country, loyalty to Country means loyalty to the party. Hence opposition is regarded as disloyal Singaporeans who are out to ruin it and only the party is right in every aspect of our lives. I think that is the notion that doesnt sit very well with alot of people which is why the reluctance ot hang the flag.

We have a long way to go unlike other countries where despite disagreements in parliament between different parties, the people are collectively proud to be Amercian, Brit, German, Japanese etc etc......
    Last edited by centuryegg; 19th July 2007 at 10:15 AM.

Agree. Although I would like to point out that the term "opposition" is a misnomer. A political party only becomes "opposition" if it does not form the majority in parliament. You don't hear the Tories calling themselves "opposition", much less the Liberal Democrats, do you? Yes, Labour is in power in UK right now, and the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats are in opposition. But I bet you when UK people join or support the conservatives, they think of themselves as joining or supporting the Conservative party, they do not think of themselves as joining the opposition.

Yet the media here, probably due to long conditioning, conveniently refers to all parties other than the P-A-P as "opposition" parties, thereby stereotyping them. What's worse, of course, is that Singaporean supporters of these parties also consider themselves as "opposition" party members, which typecasts them and limits their horizons.

For the record, all political parties are equal, at least in their status before the electorate, and every party has a right to form the govt if it wins the election. P-A-P can also become opposition if the other parties win enough to form a coalition govt, if not an outright majority govt.

I prefer to refer to P-A-P as P-A-P, not as ruling party. Similarly, WP is WP, SDP is SDP-- they are not opposition parties, they are political parties just like P-A-P. Similarly, I don't vote for opposition, I vote for WP or SDP or whatever, I vote for someone because they best represent my interests, not because they are "opposition".

But it's so hard to get Singaporeans to understand.

PS. Why is P-A-P replaced by ***? Why are moderators so afraid and have to set such rules? That shows what this country is about.
    Last edited by waileong; 19th July 2007 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    We have a long way to go unlike other countries where despite disagreements in parliament between different parties, the people are collectively proud to be Amercian, Brit, German, Japanese etc etc......
    Yes. And such pride doesn't come from NE programmes, or from singing national songs or reciting pledges.

why cannot concentrate on just putting up the flag and proud of it???

It's a singaporean thing, not abt loyalty to certain parties...............
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Blog Entries

Agree. Although I would like to point out that the term "opposition" is a misnomer. A political party only becomes "opposition" if it does not form the majority in parliament. You don't hear the Tories calling themselves "opposition", much less the Liberal Democrats, do you? Yes, Labour is in power in UK right now, and the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats are in opposition. But I bet you when UK people join or support the conservatives, they think of themselves as joining or supporting the Conservative party, they do not think of themselves as joining the opposition.

Yet the media here, probably due to long conditioning, conveniently refers to all parties other than the P-A-P as "opposition" parties, thereby stereotyping them. What's worse, of course, is that Singaporean supporters of these parties also consider themselves as "opposition" party members, which typecasts them and limits their horizons.

For the record, all political parties are equal, at least in their status before the electorate, and every party has a right to form the govt if it wins the election. P-A-P can also become opposition if the other parties win enough to form a coalition govt, if not an outright majority govt.

I prefer to refer to P-A-P as P-A-P, not as ruling party. Similarly, WP is WP, SDP is SDP-- they are not opposition parties, they are political parties just like P-A-P. Similarly, I don't vote for opposition, I vote for WP or SDP or whatever, I vote for someone because they best represent my interests, not because they are "opposition".

PS. Why is P-A-P replaced by ***? Why are moderators so afraid and have to set such rules? That shows what this country is about.
    Loyalty to a country is never associated to any political party and Singaporean are not so naive to know.

It is precisely what is happening here where some individuals cannot get rid of the notion that in Singapore loyalty is associated to political party? And think that they are the enlighten ones

Here is a fine example. A simple question is asked about displaying the national flag. And the issues discuss was loyalty and look at what happened, you, yes, you politicised and make it that loyalty is associated to political parties. NE was and is never about parties it is about being a Nation nothing about opposition.

Anyway, the rules in this forum are very simple. One of it is no political discussions, whether you like it or not thats the rule here. So let us not push the envelope any further. You want to be a guest in this forum abide by the rules if not you are not welcome, period.
    Last edited by chngpe01; 19th July 2007 at 11:31 AM.

FYI

Guidelines
    Extracted from Guidelines on the Use of National Symbols (The National Flag). (July 1999). Ministry and the Arts.

Guidelines for Use

(5) The flag, as the nation's symbol, is to be treated with dignity and respect. The use of the flag for commercial purposes, in advertisements, as a print pattern, or as an adornment is not permissible. No graphics or wordings should be superimposed on the flag. Subject to approval, however, images of the flag can be used for educational or learning purposes.

National Day Celebrations
    Most restrictions on the use of the flag are lifted on National Day and other occasions of national rejoicing. The flag may be used in an appropriate and dignified manner in advertisements, prints, as well as decorations during the National Day celebrations period of 1-31 August. During the month, commercial and non-governmental buildings are allowed to fly the national flag.

Proper care and disposal
    When the flag has to be cleaned, it should be washed and dried indoors separately, and not together with other laundry.

Torn or worn-out flags should be disposed properly by being packed into a sealed black trash bag. Alternatively, the flag should be handed over to the nearest Residents' Committee (RC) or Community Centre/Club (CC) for proper disposal.
    Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.

Maybe you should ask why the RC people have to go house-to-house to encourage people in the first place.
    Because got Singaporeans who come online to try to brainwash people into not putting up!

以毒攻毒

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    i wonder also.. but ISD will come knocking on your door

It's just a bloody term.

We can easily argue about how MINORITY is a stereotypical term; but simply put, in politics if a party is RULING, it means most of the people in the country support it, like it or not, I don't see ANYTHING against this very line in the latest few elections, so unless you have something else to disprove it.. It remains that the ruling party has the ideologies and methodologies that the majority of the people , and therefore by logical deduction, the country believes in.

Therefore, opposition is not a wrong term. It is a political term.

I quote Wiki:

n politics, the opposition comprises one or more political parties or other organized groups that are opposed to the government, party or group in political control of an area, county, or state.
    Oh well, it's just a bloody term. No stereotyping, or we can say that MAN and WOMAN are stereotypical terms since there are people who think that they are the other sex while being trapped in their bodies. Quite boh liao to wax lyrical about such inane stuff, and has nothing to do with the thread topic nor any other issues being brought in, like patriotism.

Are you sure you have no hidden agenda?

To add on, a simple search of "opposition party" reveals that the frontmost news listed on Google are nothing to do with Singapore;

US seeks Clemency for Ethopian OPPOSITION Leaders, dated 18 Jul 07

Burundi OPPOSITION unhappy with new cabinet dated 16 Jul 07

Main Angola OPPOSITION party eyes leadership battle, by Reuters, dated 18 Jul 07

Anything else to say? I do not like the Singapore press' sensationalisation of many things, and disagree with their methods sometimes, but the use of the word "opposition" is a moot point, if you'd pardon me saying it.
    Last edited by night86mare; 19th July 2007 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    i wonder also.. but ISD will come knocking on your door
    That's the kind of Singapore you believe you live in? Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    Yes if you want to be the first person arrested for putting up the wrong flag.

That's the kind of Singapore you believe you live in? Wow!
    So what kind of Singapore would you live in?

I hate armchair critics; high on their horses but cannot provide any better alternative.

No one likes the person who sits in at meetings nitpicking at every fault possible in the system, but never offering an alternative. It shows blatant incompetency and a lack of substance.

Provide some alternatives, which are reasonable, and maybe I might start listening to your points. Until then, all I've seen is emotional logic, and best part is you can't even point out what's wrong, all you do is make illogical statements which are sweeping and an over-generalisation without any backup. Granted this is an online forums, but take note: as an adult you should be mature enough to know that you are responsible for what you say in one way or another, and this is not helping.

I do not have much faith in your ability to provide a proper counterargument for anything that the people who are trying to reason with you have said; having seen the quality of the level of thinking in online forums, all alike.. So here's a good prediction - you will just carry out ad hominem attacks and accuse everyone else of being spies for the ruling party. As would any other illogical armchair critic I've seen here. Oh well.

And then after a while, a Silent Sky would descend, along with a few Par Chiao people; and all will run amok before a big bad Gang of Wolves comes in to carry out crowd control. Same old same old.
    Last edited by night86mare; 19th July 2007 at 12:07 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast