Thread: Does anyone know the name of this phenomenon?

Default Does anyone know the name of this phenomenon?

I saw this in the sky yesterday evening--a rainbow-coloured bowl that seemed to be sitting on the rim of a large cloud. Unfortunately, i only had my handphone camera with me. Here are the pictures that i took:

I would appreciate it if anyone here can tell me the name of this phenomenon. If you also happened to have taken photos of it, do share your photos here if you don't mind. Thanks.

Default Re: Does anyone know the name of this phenomenon?

Something like this?

I took this when I was in Pulau Ubin. I think it's just something like a rainbow..
    Last edited by Lolrence; 18th July 2007 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chromodynamics View Post
    I would appreciate it if anyone here can tell me the name of this phenomenon. If you also happened to have taken photos of it, do share your photos here if you don't mind. Thanks.
    Looks similar to a phenomenon called a circumhorizontal arc.
    Try this link:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...nbow-fire.html

lypklypk: Thanks for sharing your photo. That could very well be the same phenomenon that I saw. From your photo, it looks like only the top of the "bowl" could be seen. The "bowl" that i saw had a horizontal red rim all round, while the other rainbow colours formed the rest of the bowl. Too bad that the colours can't be seen clearly from my poor handphone pics. However, i must say that the actual thing looked really amazing to me.

strangelight: I can't be sure that what i saw was really a circumhorizontal arc, because the pictures of circumhorizontal arcs don't look exactly like the "rainbowl" that i witnessed. In any case, thanks for sharing your knowledge--I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by chromodynamics View Post
    lypklypk: Thanks for sharing your photo. That could very well be the same phenomenon that I saw. From your photo, it looks like only the top of the "bowl" could be seen. The "bowl" that i saw had a horizontal red rim all round, while the other rainbow colours formed the rest of the bowl. Too bad that the colours can't be seen clearly from my poor handphone pics. However, i must say that the actual thing looked really amazing to me.

strangelight: I can't be sure that what i saw was really a circumhorizontal arc, because the pictures of circumhorizontal arcs don't look exactly like the "rainbowl" that i witnessed. In any case, thanks for sharing your knowledge--I really appreciate it.
    Yea same here. The real thing looked really pretty, but once it's captured on cam, the look is somewhat gone. What I saw that day was half of it, and it appeared just before it started to rain heavily.

Iridescent clouds.

ArchRival: Yes, that's it! Thanks for enabling me to find info about the phenomenon. The pics in this website look most similar to what i saw:
    http://chennai.metblogs.com/archives..._chennai.phtml
    Last edited by chromodynamics; 18th July 2007 at 09:53 PM.