Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is lens hood for?

Default Re: what is lens hood for?

When I got my D80, the hood wasn't mounted on the lens in the box leh....

Quote Originally Posted by ipin View Post
    Just try to remember how the lens hood looked (WRT it's 'kept' position) on the lens when it was first taken out of the box at the shop.

The hood is for you to "hoot" the flare lah. I find it helpful to have a hood for wide-angle shot.

Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    When I got my D80, the hood wasn't mounted on the lens in the box leh....
    I forgot that some Nikon lens' hoods are packaged seperate from the lens. When typing the previous post, I was thinking of the 70-200mm VR, which has the hood reversed when packaged.

I forgot that some Nikon lens' hoods are packaged seperate from the lens. When typing the previous post, I was thinking of the 70-200mm VR, which has the hood reversed when packaged.
    You are very naughty... tempting his with 70-200 VR.
    actually 17-35 and 28-70 also the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    You laggi worse! Maybe the TS can go buy one of these buties to know what we mean!

U guys are really...lich.

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post

You laggi worse! Maybe the TS can go buy one of these buties to know what we mean!

The 28-70mm & 70-200mm VR lens hoods very BIG, so they left deeper impressions when kept reversed mah! Easier to remember!

erm, which hood is suitable for canon EF-S 18-55mm lens?

what is the estimate pricing for the hood?

Quote Originally Posted by ahben1980 View Post
    erm, which hood is suitable for canon EF-S 18-55mm lens?

what is the estimate pricing for the hood?
    This you gotta ask around in the Canon sub-forum. We're more of Nikon users so we won't be able to answer you directly...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by foxxkat View Post
    when i'm taking wideangle scenery shots.. is it better to use hood?

or.. what's the real purpose of using hood?

tia
    They lie.

There is a GXF-1000 unit in every lens hood, everytime you touch it a small needle will emerge from the unit and prick you and inject the BBB virus into your bloodstream.

Hey you guys...don't sian the newbies lah.

OK, a lens hood has many modern purposes. As some have shared here, it's to improve the image quality by shielding the front of the lens from stray light, protect the lens physically a bit and bla bla bla...

It all sounds fine and dandy, but if you're really interested in the origins of the lens hood, you would have to take a short trip back to about the time when photography was first invented waaay back.

Now, this may be a bit of a long read, but it's really interesting, if you're into such things.....

Remember the old days when cameras were like HUGE, and HEAAAVY! Lenses were permanently fixed to the huge, boxy cameras, or even later when they were removable, they were often huge, clumsy and cumbersome affairs and impossibly slow to put on and take off from a camera for fear of damaging the delicate mechanism inside. It wasn't unimaginable for a working street photographer to carry more than 20kg of equipment on his shoulders.

Look at where the development of commercial photography flourished - mainly migrant America, even though there are various, less significant accounts of similar progress in several parts of Europe.

Now, remember that most migrants to say, the United States had to fight for 'territory' on the rough streets, which were ruled by gangs, and many could not afford decent living quarters, let alone a studio to work from!

Needless to say, crime and theft were openly rampant in the old days and the open streets were where photographers made a living mainly selling their 'portrait' photography services which was, in effect, a mini studio cum processing lab via means of a small bath-tub of clean water and several basins of chemicals to process the glass plate 'negatives'. The police, or other authorities were often useless, if not corrupted themselves.

Since their equipment were virtually immovable once set-up, they had to find a quick detach device that they could use to fend off blows from theives and gangsters, and like-wise, use as a small, indiscrete weapon. Hence, the lens 'HOOD' was born - to protect the photographers from the street HOODlums. The term 'hoodlum' is an old phrase usually used to identify a member of organised crime.

Early 'lens' hoods were in fact nothing more than simple, strong, cyclindrical metal tubes which could be quickly slipped over the arms and acted as a shield of sorts, and could be used to protect the expensive and valuable camera, as well as form a defense from the blows of a wooden rod, and can be used to 'smash' the hoodlums' faces, or heads, whichever the photographer was fortunate enough to reach in time.

It was only many centuries later (coating lenses with metal vapour fumes was not even discovered back then), long after working conditions had improved and crims had decreased, that a physicist discovered that blocking an oblique path of stray light from a prism had the effect of improving the definition and clarity of the scattered light beams that the prism created. Remember, back then 'labs' and such were often a table set beside an open window. Then, what was used to block stray light was simply heavy dark cloth.

Fast forward (i know most of you are bored to death by now; I know I am! LOL!) and some bright spark put two and two together and birthed the makings and modern use of a 'lens-hood'.

CHEERS!

ok, I made that up...but it was a fun read right? Hehehehe.....

may i ask in a photo, how i noe it got flare anot. and wat is really a flare. sry to ask this newbie around here.
    Good Person:think: With Lousy Camera -_-lll

Quote Originally Posted by ray9211 View Post
    may i ask in a photo, how i noe it got flare anot. and wat is really a flare. sry to ask this newbie around here.
    Flares are like reflected light or images caught in your pics.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12