Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Studio - How to set exposure?

Default Re: Studio - How to set exposure?

Quote Originally Posted by AJ23 View Post
    either get/borrow books that teaches lighting in studio
    Any recommendations on books?

Quote Originally Posted by ptyap View Post
    Go to Rice Ball in Funan/Adelphi. Quite a number there for you to choose from.

Smile Re: Studio - How to set exposure?

plenty in nlb. series like Arhmest(spelling?)

The modifiers (such as softbox, umbrella, snoot, etc) would make this method difficult to use, wouldn't they?
    Well, yeah.. sort of... But they are repeatable, so you can actually do one measurement with a grey card and the histogram and go on from there.

But I'd recommend you get a light meter if you're serious. The Sekonic L-358 sells for about $450 or less.
    http://www.sekonic.com/products/products.asp?ID=4
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 20th July 2007 at 10:09 AM.

The modifiers (such as softbox, umbrella, snoot, etc) would make this method difficult to use, wouldn't they?
    simple, each modifier has their own string attach.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    simple, each modifier has their own string attach.
    I like this.

Get an incident light meter with flash metering capability. Period.
    Saves you all the hassle of trying to determine exposure. Plus it helps you work out lighting ratios and balance ambient and flash exposure. If you use reflected light measurements, you'll waste more time and your exposure readings will vary depending on the reflectance value of the subject, etc.

Anyone tried Minolta IV F? I am thinking of getting a used one. Is it capable of spot metering? Is spot metering an essential function to have?

eventually he will need to use flash meter, but before than, just let him know what other options that can shoot studio without a flash meter, rather that let him anyhow humtum exposure or don't shoot at all, get it??

photographers are train to solve problems creatively, not sitting down there waiting for things to happen.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    eventually he will need to use flash meter, but before than, just let him know what other options that can shoot studio without a flash meter, rather that let him anyhow humtum exposure or don't shoot at all, get it??

photographers are train to solve problems creatively, not sitting down there waiting for things to happen.
    Thanks Catchligths. Yes, I will eventually try to get one; it's just not now. Have already spent my budget on the two strobes and some accessories; spend more and I will have to eat grass.

Why so profound? I do it very simply.. If in studio I just do an estimation and set it using manual mode on the camera. If I am off the just tweak the manual settings till you get what you want... That's the advantage of digital over film.

If you are using film just use your digicam as your light meter lah...

The only reason I see the need for a light meter is if you are using only film and don't have a digital camera...

So far, this has worked nicely for me. If anyone can tell me where I can improve I'm open to suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Get an incident light meter with flash metering capability. Period.
    Saves you all the hassle of trying to determine exposure. Plus it helps you work out lighting ratios and balance ambient and flash exposure. If you use reflected light measurements, you'll waste more time and your exposure readings will vary depending on the reflectance value of the subject, etc.
    Anyone tried Minolta IV F? I am thinking of getting a used one. Is it capable of spot metering? Is spot metering an essential function to have?
    The above statement by creampuff which I highlighted in bold answers your question on spot meter. IIRC, the IV F should be capable of attaching a spot meter head.

Spot meters have other uses. Sekonic L-758D has a built in spot meter.
    http://www.sekonic.com/products/products.asp?ID=130

Thanks Catchligths. Yes, I will eventually try to get one; it's just not now. Have already spent my budget on the two strobes and some accessories; spend more and I will have to eat grass.
    What you can do now is to use the histogram to deterrmine the exposure.

Smile Re: Studio - How to set exposure?

perhaps, use yr studio lights w/o a meter first. learn the basics first and with its inconveniences. later, with a meter, yr foundation would be stronger and appreciative of its convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    perhaps, use yr studio lights w/o a meter first. learn the basics first and with its inconveniences. later, with a meter, yr foundation would be stronger and appreciative of its convenience.
    After playing around with my strobes for these couple of days, I am starting to feel the need of a light meter already.

After playing around with my strobes for these couple of days, I am starting to feel the need of a light meter already.
    IMO, play with them even more to train your eyes to be the light meter.
    When you start answering your own questions, you'll understand, learn better, grow and develop into a better photographer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123