Thread: Home from a Catch

Default Home from a Catch

Hello everyone

This is my first posting here. Hope I can get it right. Anyway I was in San Fransisco by Fisherman's Bay when I saw this fishing boat cruising along and tried to get a snap of it in the setting sun with all the seagulls following close by. Wanted to catch the feeling of returning home after a hard day's work.

This pic was cropped from a much larger one. I would've loved to have had the boat in the middle of the sun's reflection but I guess I wasn't fast enough. Hope anyone can advice me on how to get more detail of the sun in such lighting conditions.

Would appreciate any helpful advice and critique on this photo as it's my first time doing this.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Home from a Catch

what aperture were u using? can cosider decreasing the size of it.

if you want more details of the sun, you could try increasing your shutter speed, but you'll probably get an even darker silhouette of the boat and the gulls.

Thanks for the the tips. I was using a shutter speed: 1/800 and aperture: 13.0. I was afraid of underexposing it too much that I wouldn't be able to get much detail of the boat and the gulls. I know it's quite a simple shot but any advice on how to improve the composition?

I love SF ...

back to the picture ... I wonder if you could have stop down another stop or 2, as it currently stand, the boat and the seagulls are only sillouettes anyway, so a bit darker won't hurt. The sun is just too blown for my taste.

did you take the picture in the East Bay? Can't be in SF as the water front, with the hills in the background is facing east, and the west facing side of SF, it's the Pacific ... the next hill will be Hawaii
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Hi Deadpoet thanks for the tips. I'll definitely take that into consideration next time I'm doing this. I feel exactly the same way as you do abt the sun. It's just too bright with no detail. Would've been nice if there was a cloud or something to obscure it a little.

This was taken near Pier 39 (Fisherman's Wharf) near where the seals lounge ard. Looking out this way Alcatraz would be slightly to the left. I love San Fran too, lot's of photo opportunities!!

ah, yes, know exactly where you took the picture ...

The docks where the sea lions sun tan is amazing ... still remember, about 15 years ago, they just came and took over the pontoons ... and now, they are a big tourist attraction ...

I should have taken more picture of the city, but sometime when you live there, you forgot ... maybe I should drag a few models out and about next time, then at least, I can have the city as the background
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Wow it must have been pretty amazing living in SF. It's such a picturesque city to be in. So much character and beauty. It's like there's a picture to take anywhere! Wish I was better at it then at least I could do the city some justice...hehe

Quote Originally Posted by DropTop View Post
    Wow it must have been pretty amazing living in SF. It's such a picturesque city to be in. So much character and beauty. It's like there's a picture to take anywhere! Wish I was better at it then at least I could do the city some justice...hehe
    Wished I had simply taken more pictures of the city, period. On and off for 19 years, and not a picture to show

Got to go back one of these days ...
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    I love SF ...

back to the picture ... I wonder if you could have stop down another stop or 2, as it currently stand, the boat and the seagulls are only sillouettes anyway, so a bit darker won't hurt. The sun is just too blown for my taste.

did you take the picture in the East Bay? Can't be in SF as the water front, with the hills in the background is facing east, and the west facing side of SF, it's the Pacific ... the next hill will be Hawaii
    I will try to take the exposure at the edge of the sun using partial metering mode then recompose to take the shot. More detail of the sun = darker boat, unless you use a Grey GND. As it is a snap shot without much time to think so just squeeze in a few variation by metering at the sun ,edge of the sun, boat etc then choose the effect u desire. I usually do that as I am no Pro so trial and error Can play with the EV- also
    Last edited by eikin; 22nd July 2007 at 08:45 PM.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II