Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678

Thread: Branded School or make yourself BRANDED

Default Re: Branded School or make yourself BRANDED

me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    It is commonly known that there is always not enough of vacancies in popular primary schools. Parents had resorted to become a voluneer, School Advisroy Committee Member so that their children can get a place in this popular primary schools. By doing so, they expect/hope that their children can do well and eventually get into a popular secondary school.... But you can also do well in a neighbourhood school....

Yappy and happy
    Honestly, at the risk of offending some people, I must say I find the whole 'volunteer' thingy rather 'corrupt'. Not in the sense that there is anything going on under the table, but in the paradigm that preferential admissions should be granted to parent volunteers, advisory board members. What exactly is the point? School benefits from parents time? Frankly, parents are better off being productive in their day jobs than acting as traffic cop at the school crossing or librarian in school library. What if I hired 3 gardeners to work the school grounds? Better than some office worker parent breaking his back and doing a lousy job right? Does that grant any preferential admission? The whole thing smells pretty awful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by seanlim View Post
    haha never look down luh used to be our not-so-well students that get it. and their attitude isnt exactly the best if you get what i mean.

Furthermore, about one earlier post, i heard before that ************************** Schools have rejected students due to not so well family backgrounds. not confirm wor. just letting you all know. = )

Example..schools bench mark: 250

one students gets 250, but on financial assistance. big time.
    another kid 249, comes from one of singapores richest family. which would you accept?
    I would take 250 if 250 is the cut off point. 249 still a very good result. I would consider if there is vacancy.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post
    Honestly, at the risk of offending some people, I must say I find the whole 'volunteer' thingy rather 'corrupt'. Not in the sense that there is anything going on under the table, but in the paradigm that preferential admissions should be granted to parent volunteers, advisory board members. What exactly is the point? School benefits from parents time? Frankly, parents are better off being productive in their day jobs than acting as traffic cop at the school crossing or librarian in school library. What if I hired 3 gardeners to work the school grounds? Better than some office worker parent breaking his back and doing a lousy job right? Does that grant any preferential admission? The whole thing smells pretty awful to me.
    They are looking at contribution to school. Those that has contributed can enjoy some benefits.. nothing is equal in the world sob* sob*

Thanks for all the contributions.

There is no right and wrong answer. People has his opinion and people has his choice(s). There are many contributioning factors in choosing a school for their children. Demanding parents(most of us) would like to send their children to a 'better' school as they believe that the enviroment will help the children do better. Promixity to school would be another consideration and having close relative(grand parent) will also help and very popular now.. having a maid.

So what is driving us crazy? ... I think the answer goes to the society, peer pressure, mindset, culture background just to name a fews

With that I would close the thread.

Yappy and happy

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678