Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Branded School or make yourself BRANDED

Default Re: Branded School or make yourself BRANDED

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    It makes a difference not so much in that NTU or NUS are not "branded", but in having some life experience/perspective that extends beyond the tiny nation of Singapore. Someone who goes from kindergarten to university exclusively in Singapore, possibly never even living on his/her own away from mom&dad, may suffer a bit from tunnel vision.

One also has to realize that many universities are commercial enterprises, effectively selling courses that end in basic degrees. This caters to the mass market of those who "invest" into a university course (or "upgrade themselves") based on projected income levels, the "brand name", etc. and are not driven by genuine interest for the subject. (Look at recent advertisements by NUS and NTU, and ask yourself who they are targeted at.) In this case, it doesn't matter whether it's branded mediocrity or non-branded mediocrity. Those who are serious about getting an education don't stop after a "basic degree". For doctoral or postdoctoral research, it matters even less where you did it, but what you did (i.e. earning your own laurels).
    Hi LittleW..

I agreed with you whole heartedly.. It is the society and it is the individual that matters most.
    So why are mum and dad still chasing after branded school! Evident in this few days newspaper reports...

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    Doing well in a branded school and no one remembers you that well, the impact would be more significant when you're from a simple school and kicking some butts
    In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eye jack is the King..

My friend, is a malaysian. She works here and recently, her sister came over for a tour. Since I also bore of working, took leave on last night as I working shift. In the end, I accompany her sister to shop at bugis.

We pass by some shops, selling cheap shirt but the sale person not helpful, we didn't buy but she will get it for her relative. We went to SLS, not her ideal place for shopping but I did my own. Then we pass OG, she saw branded, want to buy but since not my $, I also bochap, haha!

Passed by those small shops at bugis street and she didn't bother to take a LOOK!!! Then we went to Seiyu. She can shop n brought tons of things. Want all branded one, no mercy!

My friend told me that she spend 2k from her, she heart pain liao. That's why some ppl can have branded cost they spending other $. For me, as long can use, branded or not, not impt.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    My friend, is a malaysian. She works here and recently, her sister came over for a tour. Since I also bore of working, took leave on last night as I working shift. In the end, I accompany her sister to shop at bugis.

We pass by some shops, selling cheap shirt but the sale person not helpful, we didn't buy but she will get it for her relative. We went to SLS, not her ideal place for shopping but I did my own. Then we pass OG, she saw branded, want to buy but since not my $, I also bochap, haha!

Passed by those small shops at bugis street and she didn't bother to take a LOOK!!! Then we went to Seiyu. She can shop n brought tons of things. Want all branded one, no mercy!

My friend told me that she spend 2k from her, she heart pain liao. That's why some ppl can have branded cost they spending other $. For me, as long can use, branded or not, not impt.
    Agreed with U. 'Branded' is in your mind. If it branded then it is branded. But the question how many ppl have the will power to resist those so call 'branded'..

I want branded..he wants branded.... then?????

wahh OG and SEIYU branded? which brands

Quote Originally Posted by seanlim View Post
    Those as long got a BRAND name on it and cost more than it should be, I take it as "BRANDED"

As long not my $, hack care
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Good question!... for those who patronise please name the 'branded' good sold in OG and Seiyu...

Haha.. 'Future' School over enrol.. can we classify them as 'Branded' schools?

Those as long got a BRAND name on it and cost more than it should be, I take it as "BRANDED"

As long not my $, hack care
    Money allows you to get 'branded' it is an ingredient in the 'branded' mindset!!!

Haha.. there was a thread on money.. evil or $$$$$????

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    If you can afford to buy Canon or Nikon, would u buy a panda camera???

If the outcome is the same!

Now Express and Special AP school become one. So SAP become less Branded.
    Last edited by Yappy; 6th August 2007 at 12:10 PM.

branded schools or not, its up to the individual. i was from a neighbourhood primary school, moved on to a neighbourhood secondary school barely skimming pass the express point requirment.

4 years in a school were fights were common and the DM wasnt feared didnt harm me too badly, i ended up in a neighbourhood Jc where i am doing year 1.

the school does play a part, however the individual matters more.

and i do notice that students from branded schools seems to be alot more concerned about image, about whether they can get into a JC and such and being top dog.i may be genralising but i have had friendss who moved on from primary to high end secondary schools and the student population there seems to be obsessed with getting to a top JC and scoring As

branded or not, its the way you carry yourself, cause at the end of the day, people tend to notice YOU first, than your uniform

Quote Originally Posted by mrhobbit View Post
    branded schools or not, its up to the individual. i was from a neighbourhood primary school, moved on to a neighbourhood secondary school barely skimming pass the express point requirment.

4 years in a school were fights were common and the DM wasnt feared didnt harm me too badly, i ended up in a neighbourhood Jc where i am doing year 1.

the school does play a part, however the individual matters more.

and i do notice that students from branded schools seems to be alot more concerned about image, about whether they can get into a JC and such and being top dog.i may be genralising but i have had friendss who moved on from primary to high end secondary schools and the student population there seems to be obsessed with getting to a top JC and scoring As

branded or not, its the way you carry yourself, cause at the end of the day, people tend to notice YOU first, than your uniform
    The world is such. Branded is branded and if you are not branded.. you need to work your way up to be branded.

Tough going...

i know of someone, starting pay 5k, got posted to shanghai.
    when ask which school, he said "acsi"
    no surprises here as the company paying him is his friend's dad's.
    my point? you guys can just whine about "neighbourhood school" being AS GOOD as what you all call "branded"schools? Fine, do not bother sending your childed to any branded the school, let him go some neighbourhood school, then see if your child will be so lucky to have a "study" attitude in that sort of company. OR you can send him into a good primary school,
    at least got stepping stone into a good secondary school and see the MUCH higher possibility he has that study mentality for your self.Furthermore, he gets to mix with teh right company which may help him in the futher.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    The world is such. Branded is branded and if you are not branded.. you need to work your way up to be branded.

Tough going...
    "Brands" don't mean a thing. You can create your own brand, e.g. "happy hiccuping cockroach", and stick it on goods. Won't make the goods any better or worse, yet this is how the vast majority of "brands" work anyway.

i know of someone, starting pay 5k, got posted to shanghai.
    when ask which school, he said "acsi"
    no surprises here as the company paying him is his friend's dad's.
    my point? you guys can just whine about "neighbourhood school" being AS GOOD as what you all call "branded"schools? Fine, do not bother sending your childed to any branded the school, let him go some neighbourhood school, then see if your child will be so lucky to have a "study" attitude in that sort of company. OR you can send him into a good primary school,
    at least got stepping stone into a good secondary school and see the MUCH higher possibility he has that study mentality for your self.Furthermore, he gets to mix with teh right company which may help him in the futher.

Thanks
    U are right. Not everybody is so lucky.

Anyway, U don't have to be branded if your have the $$$$$.
    If you can buy over Microsoft.. you are branded!

No need to go to branded school and waste your time there!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    "Brands" don't mean a thing. You can create your own brand, e.g. "happy hiccuping cockroach", and stick it on goods. Won't make the goods any better or worse, yet this is how the vast majority of "brands" work anyway.
    Branded has value. Just a simple comparision, there are many brands car.. which one do you think is branded?

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    actually, now, the fundementals are no longer physics. it's economics. get what i mean?
    Come to think about it... Econ should be the fundementals be it simple supply and demand or choice of foods at school.. they should taught at school?

Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    well, the education system should be reworked a little in my opinion. too much like a mass production factory, even i myself found myself to be a factory product.

in our current system,
    parents would always want the best for their children, and in their dreams, they would want their children to become "dragon and phoenixes" if you are familiar with that chinese proverb. they wish for their children to be the top few %, to become doctors, lawyers, scholars, but they have failed to realize nor consider anything else.. if their children based on the best of their abilities, fail to achieve any of these. what other contingencies do they have? and do their own children even have any ambition or aim in life? do they know what they want to be where their passion lies?

the short sightedness of our education system, and a folly of most parents would be to continue harp on the short term goals than everything in the long run for the child's development. when the kid's in kindergarten, the parents would consider and find means to send the child to a branded pri sch. in the branded pri school, the parents would be obsessed with tuition etc, hoping that the child will do well in the PSLE to get to a good secondary school. this goes on, same scenario in secondary school, that the next target is only O levels and nothing beyond. same in JC as well.

and that when these kids leave JC, they will stop to realize, hey, all my life i've been looking at these short term goals, doing the best in them, but i've never considered what i wanted to be, i've never put in effort in learning the things i should have learnt than all these formal education stuff that is not very applicable in reality. and many parents dont realize it as well.

grab any kid off the road, between the age of 13 to 18, ask him what his ambition is, majority will reply you "i dont know!"

quoting my former headmaster, the current director of general education now, the singapore education emphasizes on producing all rounded individuals, --> but in my opinion, 99% come out as squares, only the top 1% or less, become the true jack of all trades but master of none.
    When bread and butter is the key issue, would you think of passion?

Many of today younger or young adults could do what they want as they are not worry of their basic need... their parents had left behind an amount which allow them to live without worry.

No money no food no shelter and no passion

Which camera would you consider as branded?

Smile Re: Branded School or make yourself BRANDED

back to the subject matter. branded schools. lately, some key personalities were seen celebrating their old schools. so, you decide. another, president's scholar award for father, then and daughter, now.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast