Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Branded School or make yourself BRANDED

Default Re: Branded School or make yourself BRANDED

Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    and that when these kids leave JC, they will stop to realize, hey, all my life i've been looking at these short term goals, doing the best in them, but i've never considered what i wanted to be, i've never put in effort in learning the things i should have learnt than all these formal education stuff that is not very applicable in reality. and many parents dont realize it as well.

grab any kid off the road, between the age of 13 to 18, ask him what his ambition is, majority will reply you "i dont know!"

quoting my former headmaster, the current director of general education now, the singapore education emphasizes on producing all rounded individuals, --> but in my opinion, 99% come out as squares, only the top 1% or less, become the true jack of all trades but master of none.
    Can't deny that current trends dictate that it must be so, but it is not necessary that it is so. There are always exceptions to every situation, and I do not believe that it is as bad as you paint, although of course I agree with the fact that the problems are there.

When I left JC, I roughly knew what I wanted to do, just not very sure which path to choose, so a few things had to happen before I decided where I would go, and now it has solidified. I would be extremely worried if I knew the ONE path I would want to take after JC, because it would mean that if that ONE path was not available I would be in deep **** and that would reveal quite a fair bit of bad planning, don't you think?

As for the grabbing, oh well, kids will usually tell you "I don't know", mainly because they just want to go home.

Not really sure what you mean by your last statement, seems a little convoluted, but I've seen my fair share of 1-sided people, they didn't exactly die - it's how they handled it, like the senior I had, who chose to go to polytechnic to do computing, he's working overseas at Microsoft now for quite a tidy sum, and I'm happy for him. And at no point in time did he actually make some emo tantrum about having to leave Singapore to succeed in life. He handled it, and that's the kind of spirit we should have, though of course the system should make some changes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    dunno leh, my 18 classmates know what they want to do and study, other than 2 blur blur ones.

oh, and tri sci not an "increasing" popular choice. now the jc batch, only around 1-2% take tri sci. (for my school at least)
    woah? hmm

at least i know during my time, triple science was exploding in rj, and right now, many of the classes are still triple scienced, i.e. the S03 classes, man.. they went from S03a to S03M

similarly in NJ, the S6 classes were dominant from S6A to S6J/K
    chezburgr i can haz?

woah? hmm

at least i know during my time, triple science was exploding in rj, and right now, many of the classes are still triple scienced, i.e. the S03 classes, man.. they went from S03a to S03M

Still is exploding in RJ, quite crazy, though now SO3 is also inclusive of the Bio/Chem/Econs/Maths combination - when I left that is.

There's a new system, haven't been back nor following what's happening back there but quite interested to find out, heh.

woah? hmm

haha, actually, i cheated in my arguement abit. now you know right? that idiotic MOE changed the whole A lvl system. everyone must take at least 1 contrasting subject. so for example, if you science stream, you must take at least one arts, vice versa. so tri sci very hard to take, cos maths, phy, chem, bio lacks of a contrasting subject. right now, the most most most most popular choice in science stream is maths, chem, bio(or phy), econs.

anyway nowadays there are some faculties that no longer tighten up on the required subjects u need as entry requirements.

haha, actually, i cheated in my arguement abit. now you know right? that idiotic MOE changed the whole A lvl system. everyone must take at least 1 contrasting subject. so for example, if you science stream, you must take at least one arts, vice versa. so tri sci very hard to take, cos maths, phy, chem, bio lacks of a contrasting subject. right now, the most most most most popular choice in science stream is maths, chem, bio(or phy), econs.
    *cough cough* i wonder why the change of the A level system *cough cough*

-looks at top-
    -looks at bottom-
    -looks at top again-

chezburgr i can haz?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Still is exploding in RJ, quite crazy, though now SO3 is also inclusive of the Bio/Chem/Econs/Maths combination - when I left that is.

There's a new system, haven't been back nor following what's happening back there but quite interested to find out, heh.
    Quite a shift since my years in JC (mid 90s..sigh..getting old..).

Then Physics was very important and compulsory in many cases of any science combination. Now it is optional even at 'O' levels. This is indeeded sad as Physics (IMHO) forms the basis of Science. And with the trend going towards 'life science' / 'bio' etc and MOE letting students forgo physics at O levels, JC and universities are slowly being force to accept students w/o physics background into Sci stream of Physics major (Uni) etc... And the numbers of physics students in NUS are dwindling, there're a huge deficit of physics teachers in JC with physics majors and schools have no choice but to import foreign teachers or accept those w/o physics majors.

As per topic, I think we all agree that being in a branded school does help while not being in one can also make oneself branded through determination etc.

For parents or parents to be, I would presume the majority would prefer to send their children to the more popular ones.

*cough cough* i wonder why the change of the A level system *cough cough*

-looks at top-
    -looks at bottom-
    -looks at top again-

aiyah, dunno lah. sometimes the ministers just have to prove their presence. me consider myself lucky to barely escape the jaws of contrasting subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by di0nysus View Post

Then Physics was very important and compulsory in many cases of any science combination. Now it is optional even at 'O' levels. This is indeeded sad as Physics (IMHO) forms the basis of Science. And with the trend going towards 'life science' / 'bio' etc and MOE letting students forgo physics at O levels, JC and universities are slowly being force to accept students w/o physics background into Sci stream of Physics major (Uni) etc... And the numbers of physics students in NUS are dwindling, there're a huge deficit of physics teachers in JC with physics majors and schools have no choice but to import foreign teachers or accept those w/o physics majors.

As per topic, I think we all agree that being in a branded school does help while not being in one can also make oneself branded through determination etc.

For parents or parents to be, I would presume the majority would prefer to send their children to the more popular ones.
    Hehe, you sound like one of my friends, he claims that physics is the fundamental of everything else, and that even engineering is diluted physics at best. Don't disagree entirely, probably because I like Physics too.

I agree with what you say, the system is currently placing a little far too much emphasis on bio-sciences for my liking, it's a little bit too hyped up; and far too many of my friends who stayed local went into bio-science-related courses. I wonder what will happen if there is a sudden massive explosion of bio-science/related graduates with not enough jobs on the market, but I suppose they might have already limited entry.

The trouble with the topic is that it's been discussed time and time before, the fact is that whether you go to a branded school ( what is a branded school anyways, would you consider ACS branded?) or not, it does not have a direct relation with your success in life. There are people from unheard schools who do well later on in life, there are people from your so-called branded schools who end up as beggars. But one thing is true - if you make use of all the opportunities that a good school offers you, and these opportunities may not be what everyone is thinking about on the surface, sometimes it's a little more profound than that.. The path to success in one's career/chosen path in life will definitely come much easier.

Hehe, you sound like one of my friends, he claims that physics is the fundamental of everything else, and that even engineering is diluted physics at best. Don't disagree entirely, probably because I like Physics too.
    OT: I'm from Science background, and I firmly believe that physics is the fundamental of all sciences. Engineering? It is about making things work...

Sorry for the OT...science is more interesting than brand names of schools..*yawn*...for brands..I'd prefer C vs N anyday! :P

cos it is!!!! with the estabilshment of the standard model, basically all chemical reactions can be done theortically. so with a powerful enough computer, it can generate the whole world's worth of possible reaction products. which means bye bye to quite alot of jobs.

OT: I'm from Science background, and I firmly believe that physics is the fundamental of all sciences. Engineering? It is about making things work...

Sorry for the OT...science is more interesting than brand names of schools..*yawn*...for brands..I'd prefer C vs N anyday! :P
    whoopie!!! definitely agree. but have to admit, physics is going abit too wild with all these relatively crazy new ideas. still, they are very interesting possibilities waiting to be filtered out to the last true one.

Mmm, indeed.

haha, C vs N is another battle till the cows come home discussion.

Anyways kopitiam la, I think anything goes, so long as you show some basic courtesy to the TS and don't go totally off topic; e.g. start talking about which type of beef is the best to cook.

cos it is!!!! with the estabilshment of the standard model, basically all chemical reactions can be done theortically. so with a powerful enough computer, it can generate the whole world's worth of possible reaction products. which means bye bye to quite alot of jobs.
    Hahaha, wah lau, eh I didn't know you are double maths student. I only remember that everytime see double maths student in my school feel very pek chek, they always got to go home early, then Maths S paper also everytime score until damn high because everything taught in F maths already. =( =( =(

Hahaha, wah lau, eh I didn't know you are double maths student. I only remember that everytime see double maths student in my school feel very pek chek, they always got to go home early, then Maths S paper also everytime score until damn high because everything taught in F maths already. =( =( =(
    haha. but i dun really like maths. me forced myself to take f maths cos i know i need it in physics. but after reading certain topics on thermodynamics..............i think f maths wasn't even enough, need f maths s paper.

The reality of life is that one will naturally gravitate towards making connections. It's just the world we live in. Can't pretend that it does not exist, nor happen.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

i've done my share of grabbing individuals from both bishan and bukit timah, and occasionally some others whom i've met in online games, majority remains undecided, only interested in scoring as many A's as possible in upcoming examinations. however i do not intend to rule out that there's still a percentage of decided individuals, whom know where they are and where they would be going.

a common question would be, why take triple science, which is increasingly popular a combination? thats because many of them felt it was the most flexible course that allows one an entry into various diverse pursuits in university later on.
    well, trip science gives one the choice for whichever stream we would take in college and in uni. however, i believe its due to the lack of awareness in many students which leads them to not know what they want to be or what they can do with their subject combi.

It is important no doubt. Even medical students must have the subject.

It is the society, parents and all alike. Ask yourself, in the lecture Theatre, who is sitting behind, beside and infront of you when you are in the U?

During a job interview and you are sitting in the panel of selection, who would you pick if all being equal? Candidates from you school or?

Quote Originally Posted by seanlim View Post
    well, trip science gives one the choice for whichever stream we would take in college and in uni. however, i believe its due to the lack of awareness in many students which leads them to not know what they want to be or what they can do with their subject combi.
    It had been popular... but back to the orignal intention of the thread..

The moment you are in RJC or HJC or VJC or NJC you are considered branded as you must have a single digit 'O' level result normally less than 6...

So get your self branded at PSLE so that you could be selected for RI or RV or NUHigh or....or...

yappy & happy

Math and Physics form the fundamentals of both hard sciences and social sciences.

I wonder, how many students under the age of 19 today have any foundation in Pure Physics?
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast