Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    I went to the talk by martin parr. Almost all (or all) of his photos were taken with flash as he needed flash to get the 'glam advertising' effect. Yet most of his photos were candids of people. When asked how he does it. He says he has the right to shoot them and he just does it with an air of confidence and most of the time he has no problems.

But personally for me, I find it a problem to take photo of people here. Even w/o flash! People in Singapore get so wary when they see you with a 'big camera'. Apart from kids but their parents get wary. I wonder if it is a cultural thing that it is a problem in Singapore but not in Europe, etc. Or is it that Parr has a technique or some air about him that people dun mind him shooting them.

i agree on the social norms here. i used my PNS to shoot potrait ppl thot i was liek some kuku.

I went to the talk by martin parr. Almost all (or all) of his photos were taken with flash as he needed flash to get the 'glam advertising' effect. Yet most of his photos were candids of people. When asked how he does it. He says he has the right to shoot them and he just does it with an air of confidence and most of the time he has no problems.

But personally for me, I find it a problem to take photo of people here. Even w/o flash! People in Singapore get so wary when they see you with a 'big camera'. Apart from kids but their parents get wary. I wonder if it is a cultural thing that it is a problem in Singapore but not in Europe, etc. Or is it that Parr has a technique or some air about him that people dun mind him shooting them.
    Yeah i agree on the part of taking pics of locals as most of them here don't like to be photographed discreetly as it's like invasion of privacy and rude also. But on the other hand, the caucasians are vice-versa.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

yeah very true. was looking at this book in the NLB . street shot of and old lady and she stuck her tongue out at the camera. haha very cute. i thnk u will get cursed here.

Quote Originally Posted by naresh666 View Post
    yeah very true. was looking at this book in the NLB . street shot of and old lady and she stuck her tongue out at the camera. haha very cute. i thnk u will get cursed here.
    Caucasian woman?
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Caucasian woman?
    sorry was french old lady sorry! haha

Quote Originally Posted by naresh666 View Post
    sorry was french old lady sorry! haha
    Haha...at least it's not local.

I am not so sure about ''he has the right to shoot them and he just does it with an air of confidence and most of the time he has no problems.'' what rights is this? Applicable in SIN? Sound boastful to me For me I dont use flash unless for portrait as fill in with people I know. To steal shoots I use my 70-200, stand far far like sniper if cannot then use my 'scpoe' (2x extender) hehe shoot them all SIN people very shy and conscious l, ask also no use... like me when I am eating even my wife cannot shoot me
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Cool Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

Paparazzi style...1 Shot 1 Kill...
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post

Paparazzi style...1 Shot 1 Kill...
    lol

looks too voyuer to me.

OF COURSE NOT lol u fire later u get whack i use shutter release instead of flash
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

Got this shot at Hong Kong Harbour front. 200mm, f2.8, 0.3sec, EV-1 2/3

if you take street and candids on walkabout, I suppose you could use flash if you were thick-skinned and charming enough.

But flash does ruin some of the atmosphere of a street and candid shot
    Work: PicasaWeb | Play: Animus3 | Mobile: Tumblr

hmm...flash seems to spoil the "vibe" when taking candid shots.
    But when I'm doing an outdoor shoot and the sun is at it's peak, an external flash would really improve your image.

I use flash when i do walkabouts in nature reserves. On streets i mount it, in case of "whatever" which i cannot anticipate lolx. Just makes me feel more prepared. I leave it off all the time though.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

haha had my 1st walkabout iwth my cam in little india. there was this chinese lady at the bottom of the Tekka market staircase selling something. i pointed the cam at her then she look away but i still snap. then as i walk up she cursed me in chinese!!! ahaha . was telling my friend boh pian must get used to it.

and then there was this other uncle selling something at Mustafa. i pointed my cam at him he gave me the V peace sign haha.

will be posting pics when i get home.

love street photography.

Singaporean... kia see.... wait they worry you post their pictures or do something about it....

But hey... Stomp also have lots of snap shots too right???
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

maybe very intimidating. the huge black circle staring at u . and then blinking. haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12