Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

  1. #1

    Default do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    will it make a big diff if i dun use an external flash? for walkabouts.

    liek candids and such

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,777

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    if its an external flash, it probably would be so big that anything becomes non-candid afterall....
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

  3. #3

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    I wouldn't want to flash people while taking candid shots.. But if I were walking around in an African Savannah, yeah I'd probably carry a flash and a flash extender

  4. #4

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    Quote Originally Posted by naresh666 View Post
    will it make a big diff if i dun use an external flash? for walkabouts.

    liek candids and such
    NO
    most def not...

    i tink it's pretty annoying for the person if u flash him/her out of nowhere....

  5. #5

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    but wont the internal flash coz the same reaction?

    i like to do walkabout sots liek in little india china town and just generally wherever i go.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    For candids?? definitely not! Imagine u flahing away at pple and it's so obvious. Sometimes pointing a DSLR alone without a flash is already so obvious.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  7. #7

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    but walkabout travel holiday...taking scenry....do u use external flash?
    PM me if U Want Asst Wedding Photographer
    http://totoro17.multiply.com http://chinhaven.tripod.com

  8. #8

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    hmmm ok makes sense. haha. flasher.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,777

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    Quote Originally Posted by totoro17 View Post
    but walkabout travel holiday...taking scenry....do u use external flash?
    if its scenary i.e. shooting the mountains, the massive lands, desert etc etc. flash is totally useless.. because the mountains etc. are toooo far away for the flash to have any single effect..

    but if its the normal street pics, i normally just use the inbuilt flash, IF there is really a need, and i got no choice..

    if u are travelleing, i suggest that u keep at least a 50mm f1.8 or 1.4 with u always... it really helps in low light situations and when u cant use flash..
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

  10. #10

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    if its scenary i.e. shooting the mountains, the massive lands, desert etc etc. flash is totally useless.. because the mountains etc. are toooo far away for the flash to have any single effect..

    but if its the normal street pics, i normally just use the inbuilt flash, IF there is really a need, and i got no choice..

    if u are travelleing, i suggest that u keep at least a 50mm f1.8 or 1.4 with u always... it really helps in low light situations and when u cant use flash..
    like that should i still buy canon 430ex?
    PM me if U Want Asst Wedding Photographer
    http://totoro17.multiply.com http://chinhaven.tripod.com

  11. #11
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    Quote Originally Posted by naresh666 View Post
    will it make a big diff if i dun use an external flash? for walkabouts.

    liek candids and such
    Depends on what you are shooting... I do walk around with an external flash on my camera, but it's due to the fact that I need to fill in flash for my subjects. Macro and animals...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  12. #12

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    haha guess its a must for ur subjects.

    btw i like u Large-caterpilla3 and tiger(cat) pics. really nice.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Depends on what you are shooting... I do walk around with an external flash on my camera, but it's due to the fact that I need to fill in flash for my subjects. Macro and animals...
    Do u use flash at animals? I try not to use flash on them as their eyes are usually quite sensitive and the flash shocks some of them and annoys some others. Its also blinding to certain animals.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  14. #14

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    For candids?? definitely not! Imagine u flahing away at pple and it's so obvious. Sometimes pointing a DSLR alone without a flash is already so obvious.


    dun need to point a DSLR, u just carry one with u and pple will stare at u

    Was at Little India recently and watching a group of uncles playing chess....the moment they saw me carrying the camera, they tell me to ask for permission if i want to take pictures

  15. #15
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    Quote Originally Posted by ratchet1981 View Post
    dun need to point a DSLR, u just carry one with u and pple will stare at u

    Was at Little India recently and watching a group of uncles playing chess....the moment they saw me carrying the camera, they tell me to ask for permission if i want to take pictures
    hehe... well you have to understand this might look like an innocent game of chess but usually alot of money change hand leh so lot of concentration required heheh...you flash the uncles till they giddy...they lose the game..you get knocked craqzy by all the punters watching and betting on the game chess leh heheheheh.....

  16. #16
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Do u use flash at animals? I try not to use flash on them as their eyes are usually quite sensitive and the flash shocks some of them and annoys some others. Its also blinding to certain animals.
    At a range and plus at poor lighting, I use fill in... i.e. negative ev setting of about -1 2/3 to aid my ISO boost and a large aperture shot.

    Also, dun flash them head on directly at their eyes, this will help to avoid green eyes, etc... And I avoid shooting at night when their pupils are dilated for night sight...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  17. #17

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    by the time you've flashed, the picture has been taken
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    Quote Originally Posted by ratchet1981 View Post
    dun need to point a DSLR, u just carry one with u and pple will stare at u

    Was at Little India recently and watching a group of uncles playing chess....the moment they saw me carrying the camera, they tell me to ask for permission if i want to take pictures
    Yeah...cos a DSLR often give others an impression that u're a pro.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    Quote Originally Posted by totoro17 View Post
    but walkabout travel holiday...taking scenry....do u use external flash?
    If u're taking landscapes of a vast area of scenery, no flash will be able to reach and besides, u won't even need a flash while taking all these.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: do you guys use externalflash for walkabout?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    For candids?? definitely not! Imagine u flahing away at pple and it's so obvious. Sometimes pointing a DSLR alone without a flash is already so obvious.
    I went to the talk by martin parr. Almost all (or all) of his photos were taken with flash as he needed flash to get the 'glam advertising' effect. Yet most of his photos were candids of people. When asked how he does it. He says he has the right to shoot them and he just does it with an air of confidence and most of the time he has no problems.

    But personally for me, I find it a problem to take photo of people here. Even w/o flash! People in Singapore get so wary when they see you with a 'big camera'. Apart from kids but their parents get wary. I wonder if it is a cultural thing that it is a problem in Singapore but not in Europe, etc. Or is it that Parr has a technique or some air about him that people dun mind him shooting them.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •