Thread: How to tell if gaffer tape is good?

Default How to tell if gaffer tape is good?

How do you guys tell if a gaffer tape is good? I found a cheap gaffer tape & it doesn't seems to leave behind sticky residue. Don't know if it's good or not. Thanks.

Default Re: How to tell if gaffer tape is good?

Quote Originally Posted by longko View Post
    How do you guys tell if a gaffer tape is good? I found a cheap gaffer tape & it doesn't seems to leave behind sticky residue. Don't know if it's good or not. Thanks.
    Test if it takes off paint after 1 or 2 months... some are very sticky, some leaves residue, some aren't as lasting, may drop...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

where to buy? got lobang to share? :P i want to buy to stick random things
    chezburgr i can haz?

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Test if it takes off paint after 1 or 2 months... some are very sticky, some leaves residue, some aren't as lasting, may drop...
    Thanks bro. I just gaffer an old lens & see what happens in 1-2months

psychobiologist: I bought it from valueshop in Toa Payoh for $1.05. Not a BIG roll lah, just the standard size roll you get like for masking tape

are you sure it's gaffer tape? duct tape is pretty similar. might want to test before sticking it on something valuable.

you are all missing the point. gaffer tape is use to stick cables.... stuffs etc up or down.
    not design to stick on lens and stay clean for a long time.

there is a lot of funny things we do instead of staying focus and take pictures. we go and get fancy bag to keep them in.... tape them up to protect from scratches....

Quote Originally Posted by skopio View Post
    are you sure it's gaffer tape? duct tape is pretty similar. might want to test before sticking it on something valuable.
    It's a US$15 lens I stick and pull out with no residue. I don't think it's duct tape cos it's thicker & have a matt like surface, it's more like cutting a piece of cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by zekai View Post
    you are all missing the point. gaffer tape is use to stick cables.... stuffs etc up or down.

there is a lot of funny things we do instead of staying focus and take pictures. we go and get fancy bag to keep them in.... tape them up to protect from scratches....
    I'm the opp. I'm trying out to cover the scratches on vintage lenses But it is does work well, I don't mind gaffering my macro lenses. I tend to scratch the body of the lens when I go thru bunshes to get that shot.

Quote Originally Posted by zekai View Post

so you hook your lens on carabiners? and hang your cameras on a keychain?

what's wrong with people wanting to maintain/protect their equipment?

It's a US$15 lens I stick and pull out with no residue. I don't think it's duct tape cos it's thicker & have a matt like surface, it's more like cutting a piece of cloth.
    just friendly caution. cause i've used those kind of industrial duct tape that is very thick and very strong (on other stuff). the swiss army knife from SAF cannot cut through easily.

Quote Originally Posted by skopio View Post
    just friendly caution. cause i've used those kind of industrial duct tape that is very thick and very strong (on other stuff). the swiss army knife from SAF cannot cut through easily.
    Thanks Don't think as good as industrual tape lah (can't expect so good quality for $1.05) But I have a little trouble cutting with my scissors, so I use a new penknife blade