Thread: Raining conditions

Default Raining conditions

hi everyone

Do i have to take certain precautionary measures when taking pictures in rainy conditions , how do i prevent the rain from getting onto my lens which will affect my picture xcept for bringing an umbrella and could i meter it normally like other scenes

Thanks alot

Default experiment n find out

(1)wear poncho + either cap or recon hat
    (2) use big bag so that u can dump or draw lens/body/equiptment fast. no need to organise too much
    (3) use big cloth so that can wipe away stray water off the lens/ body fast at will
    (4)optional: partially wrap up lens/body in plastic bag/whatever alternative.
    (5) umbrella will make u look like a cuckoo

Singapore, Singapore, Singapor

But something like a Canon 1V, 1D, 1Ds with L lenses. They are quite weather proof.

If you are worried, bring along a raincoat or poncho. I always bring along a disposable raincoat, cheap and effective but find myself seldom using it unless it is damn heavy downpour.

Keep your camera and lenses dry by buying plastic or clear nylon bag. There are cheap ones like zip lock bag (not recommended as it will cause a slight softness to your image), to more expensive ones that are built with a slot for your lens and clear plastic front so as to keep your images nice and sharp.

I don't usually bother about such things. I am always shooting in the rain and have not encountered any or much problems with my equipments. Reason why I say "much" is because I once had fungus growing on my lens because I was careless by forgetting to take it out of my bag to dry for 3 whole weeks!!

The equipments I ran through under moderate rain conditions without protection are:

Canon EOS 50E,
    Canon EOS 5
    Canon EOS 1N,

Canon EF 17-35mm f/2.8 L USM,
    Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5 - f/4.5 USM
    Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L USM
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM,
    Canon EF 75-300 f/4 - 5.6 IS USM

They still functioned flawlessly after that.

Nikon F5,
    Nikon F100,
    Nikon FM2n,
    Nikon FE2,

Nikon MF 20mm f/3.5
    Nikon AF 20mm f/2.8 D
    Nikon AF 28mm f/2.8 D
    Nikon MF 35mm f/2
    Nikon AF 50mm f/1.4 D
    Nikon MF 50mm f/1.4
    Nikon MF 55mm f/3.5 Macro
    Nikon AF 60mm f/2.8 Macro D
    Nikon MF 105mm F/2.5
    Nikon AF 24-85mm f/2.8-4 D
    Nikon AF 80-200 f/2.8 D

My 80-200 had fungus after 3 weeks of not taking it out (forgot).
    My F100 had some problems with the circuitry on only one occasion but after drying it, it performed flawlessly even after shooting in the rain a few more times. The rest of my equipment did not suffer.

Just remember to dry it end of the day and it shouldn't be a problem.

It was only recently that I bought Nikon D100 that I dare not subject it to rain as the back door hiding the compact flash card was not designed to be water resistant. So if it is raining, I will take out my film camera.

WARNING: I am not suggesting that you should try what I tried but I am just telling you my experience.

Andy Ho

I had even tried an EOS 300 with the 28-105mm lens under light rain. No problems. What I did was wipe dry when ever possible and keeping the camera and lens into a dry cabinet uder use that day.