Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safe to bring DSLR to Europe ? Paris, Milan ?

Default Re: Safe to bring DSLR to Europe ? Paris, Milan ?

Just came back from europe walking around alone like idoit for 11 days wif my camera.. no issues..

Its the same traveling anywhere (europe or not).. just be alert, look out and avoid trouble. Backpacks move to front and sling bags between ur legs on the floor when in trains. Apply common sense and do not take unnecessary risk after dark.

Have a nice trip!
    Last edited by LeoDaddy; 13th July 2007 at 03:01 AM.

I used a samsonite pouch, slinged over my neck and tucked underneath my T shirt and jacket when I was in Paris. Pockets had some cash in case I get robbed. I only removed my camera and camcorder at the touristy places, and tucked then into my haversack when not in use. My haversack was secured by using safety pins, small enough to make it difficult to open the bag.

I have backpacked extensively across Europe a few years back with a Film SLR and 3 lens. During the trips, I stayed in youth hostels and sleeping on overnight trains extensively. But I still didn't lose my camera or any lens. That is provided you take care of your own belongings.

Rule #1: Never leave it out of sight.
    Rule #2: Always keep it tight on your body so that bag snatchers will not have a chance. If you don't need the camera keep it back in the bag. Perhaps even tangle it up so that whoever try to open the bag finds it difficult. If you sling it on your neck, just hold the camera.
    Rule #3: Be street-smart
    Rule #4: Ask the hotel staff, where are the places that you shouldn't go. They are usually able to tell you where are the places that are more crime ridden. Follow their advice, they want you to have a good time in their city.

I also tends to bring along a fairly large backpack so that my camera bag can be hidden inside it when I am not using the camera, walking back to hotel late at night. A Lowepro and Crumpler bag says that you have a SLR inside there...

Next, you have to take care of pickpockets. Their skills are exception, when I got hit, it was over in 2s and you don't even see where they are. My advice is not to use a wallet, it's too easy for them to get everything in your pocket. So just put small change in your pocket that is good enough for one day use (if they get you, you only lose a small amount and it won't spoil your holidays). Keep your credit cards and the bigger sum of money in somewhere that is more difficult to reach.

Travel Insurance: Read the terms and conditions carefully. They will probably not be able to cover your entire set-up. In fact most travel insurance will have a upper limit for an item or items that are related. For example, when you make the claim, they will tell you although you have $1500 coverage for personal belongings, your camera and lens is considered as one item and you can only claim $500. Solution? Speak to your insurance agent, you will probably be able to buy household insurance and get an top-up to cover the camera and lens in full. Will cost some money but it's worth it.

Finally, enjoy yourself and share your photos when you are back.

Depending on your definition of 'safe'. I am in Milan right now. I will be a bit more 'careless' when I am around my apartment or the residential area I live in, but I will be a lot more alert when I take a train or go to touristic places such as the Duomo or the Central station.

As many had said before, exercise your normal precautions, be aware of your environment and don't look for trouble such as walking alone in some dark alleys.
    Come visit my blog

I had travel to Europe before. 1 time followed tour for 3 weeks (many countries), others free and easy at countries like UK(London), France, Russia (Moscow), Spain etc. I carried at least 2 SLR bodies and 3-4 lenses. The Europe trip and France free and easy trip (both about 3 weeks) I carried 2 Rolleiflex SLRs and 7-8 leses, with a 190 Manfrotto tripod. No problem.
    Last edited by fuwen; 13th July 2007 at 09:14 AM.
    Rolleiflex 3003 - SL66 - Sony Alpha 7R1/2 - ZF - Batis - ZM - Otus - HFT - T* My website

Haha don't feed the pigeons when someone gives you corn to do so!

Thank you so much for all the tips...

Keep it coming.......

Quote Originally Posted by zemotion View Post
    Ya, eat the corn instead ... win win liao

Insurance is important in case in happens (Murphy's Law . But the best thing to do is to travel with a pack of friends. Your probability of getting pickpocketed or robbed decreases exponentially with the more people you have in your group.

Low crime does not mean no crime...

Regards,
    Arto.

I've travelled with my SLR/dSLR + several lenses to UK, Netherlands, Eygpt, S.Africa, Australia, Mongolia, Vietnam, Turkey.. No issues with security so far..

I just pack everything into a normal-looking backpack.. Very non-descript..
    Also I usually stand-back, observe the crowd for a bit ("the eyes tell all"), before going 'hot-guns'..
    I guess weighing-in at 90kg, looking like a bruiser and wearing cheapo/worn-out T-shirts also helps my case..
    (maybe that's why I always kena 'random checks' at airports.. heheh..)

I concur with the cash-for-the-day-in-pocket practice...
    I'll have small change in one-pocket, and larger notes in the other..
    Like that, you won't flash-your-cash by going through your wallet/purse..

Cheers!
    Last edited by Ally; 13th July 2007 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zemotion View Post
    What will happen after that? Someone did offer me corns to feed the pigeons but then I pretended I didn't understand and walked away. Very curious to know what would happen.
    Come visit my blog

Although I have not walked around Europe with my digital SLR (yet!), I have walked around Paris and Rouen with my Nikon F601 in 2000, no problems.

You just have to be aware of your surroundings and your belongings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12