Thread: Part of negative exposed, any idea why?

Default Part of negative exposed, any idea why?

I sent a row of film for developing at Konota, and frame 0 and 1 came out like this:

Image of the negative here:
    http://www.pbase.com/image/15311131

The lady there said that the negative was exposed, and asked if I had opened the camera. I'm very sure I didn't open my camera in between loading the film and rewinding it. What could have caused this? This is the first time this has happened to me. Any chance the lab could have caused it?
    Last edited by reflecx; 11th April 2003 at 01:41 AM.

Default Re: Part of negative exposed, any idea why?

Originally posted by reflecx
    I sent a row of film for developing at Konota, and frame 0 and 1 came out like this:

The lady there said that the negative was exposed, and asked if I had opened the camera. I'm very sure I didn't open my camera in between loading the film and rewinding it. What could have caused this? This is the first time this has happened to me. Any chance the lab could have caused it?
    Hi,

Your image link deoes not work. But I could cut and past the link to a new IE window and manage to see the image.

Looks to me like your camera is leaking light. This is mostly caused by deteriorating of the black sponge material on the camera back cover..

Can you remember if you have loaded the film for a long time before you actually started shooting? Sometimes the leak is very weak such that it will not show up on the film unless the film has been left in the same position in the camera for a long period of time. That would explain why only frames 0 and 1 are affected but not the rest.

Just a possibility that I can suggest.

- Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Default Re: Re: Part of negative exposed, any idea why?

Originally posted by roygoh
    Hi,

Your image link deoes not work. But I could cut and past the link to a new IE window and manage to see the image.

Looks to me like your camera is leaking light. This is mostly caused by deteriorating of the black sponge material on the camera back cover..

Can you remember if you have loaded the film for a long time before you actually started shooting? Sometimes the leak is very weak such that it will not show up on the film unless the film has been left in the same position in the camera for a long period of time. That would explain why only frames 0 and 1 are affected but not the rest.

I have added a link to the image.

I loaded the film only about 3 hrs before shooting, and finished the roll within another hour. The previous rolls of film taken recently on this same camera were typically in there from a week to a month, and none exhibited this problem.

I will check my camera when I get back home, it is pretty old (F90, 10 yrs), so there is a possibility of deterioration.

vince123123
    Guests

of course it could also be hte lab's fault :P maybe they anyhow took out the first part to load into the machine thats why oni the front part spoil the rest ok ... :P hehe

*devil's advocate*

Originally posted by vince123123
    of course it could also be hte lab's fault :P maybe they anyhow took out the first part to load into the machine thats why oni the front part spoil the rest ok ... :P hehe

*devil's advocate*
    Quite true....
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

I checked my camera, looks ok to me, no sponge at the lining, all plastic.

Does anyone know how labs load the film into the machine? Do they have to extract out the leader manually first?

vince123123
    Guests

i may be wrong, but from what i know, they have a little machine to extract the leader out first, and then after that they load the leadered roll into the big machine and it feeds on from there.

anyone else with idea?

By the way, we still don't know whether your camera do a normal film loading or preloading. A preloading means the camera wind in the entire roll and starts shooting from frame 36 or the last frame. A normal loading winds up and shoot at frame 1.
    Last edited by jasonpgc; 12th April 2003 at 01:18 AM.