Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tourist: Houston or Atlanta?

Default Tourist: Houston or Atlanta?

Hi,

Given an option to visit for a couple of days, which of these cities would you visit?

I haven't been to either one, so can I know what are the attractions that each place offer? Prob only have a couple of days, so pls keep it to these 2 cities. Thanks!

All I know is that there's the Georgia Aquarium and Coca-Cola museum at Atlanta.

Default Re: Tourist: Houston or Atlanta?

Wah both places so jialat till nobody has an opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76 View Post
    Wah both places so jialat till nobody has an opinion?
    Because both cities have nothing to offer.
    You will be wasting time and money going there.

Id give them both a miss...

I'll be in Atlanta already for work, but have a friend in Houston (i.e. free food, lodging, car)

Just deciding whether I go to Houston, or she comes to Atlanta..haha

I'll be in Atlanta already for work, but have a friend in Houston (i.e. free food, lodging, car)

Just deciding whether I go to Houston, or she comes to Atlanta..haha
    both are sad places, doesn't really matter who goes where, you both lose.
    if you really have to choose, Houston > Atlanta. At least you get to see the sea in Houston.
    You should consider meeting your friend halfway in Panama City or New Orleans.

Those are two places that have the best traffic jams but nothing else to offer but Atlanta is easier to drive.

If you like steak, it'll be easier and cheaper to get a good steak in Texas.

Thanks.. am still deciding on New Orleans... anything to see and do around early October? How will the weather be around then?

Thanks.. am still deciding on New Orleans... anything to see and do around early October? How will the weather be around then?
    My guess is that the weather would be chilly, probably topping out around 13 degrees C during the day with rain.

http://www.neworleansonline.com/ This is the official New Orleans tourism site, so it may give some clues as to what is happening. The city is still pretty rough but they've been putting adverts on t.v. so something must be ready to receive visitors.

Hi,

Given an option to visit for a couple of days, which of these cities would you visit?

I haven't been to either one, so can I know what are the attractions that each place offer? Prob only have a couple of days, so pls keep it to these 2 cities. Thanks!

All I know is that there's the Georgia Aquarium and Coca-Cola museum at Atlanta.
    atlanta is boring!!! although its a place where most interstates pass through

and dont go to the georgia aquarium!!! usd $24 and its dammmm boring.. i'm not kidding... my friends went with me and everyone felt that the sg under water world is not much different and a better experience.

their underground aka marta is.. quite.. slow.. dont expect trains like the 3min singapore mrt interval.. i waited up to 20+min for a train before.. and buses are.. really... slow as well.\

accommodation wise, you can check out www.triprewards.com etc and look for one at a cheap price, their motels are actually quite decent.

if you want to rent a vehicle, full insurance is abt usd 25 a day, and you would want to have insurance actually, it covers every single bit. vehicle cost can range from 20 bucks a day to 40 bucks, with weekend half price. you can try a company called enterprise, where they will actually pick you up from where you are to their rental company and after returning the veh they will send you back to where you want to go.

food wise... atlanta doesnt have too much to offer.. you can get your good dose of donuts there.. krispy kremes... for real good southern food you can try mary macs which is along ponce de leon (note that ponce de leon is a super long road... )

and i actually like midtown more than down town.

the nearest national park from atlanta is the smoky mtns national park, abt 2.5hrs drive from atlanta. from atlanta, you can drive literally anywhere, one interesting place to go is savannah which is abt... 300-400 miles drive from atlanta probably abt 4hrs drive. its a nice old town and there's a beach that faces the atlantic.
    chezburgr i can haz?

new orleans is only known for the annual mardi gras.. really big event... lots of flashing. its over already.. somewhere in feb actually
    chezburgr i can haz?

between houston and atlanta

go to houston
    Regards, Mark Pang
    www.markpangphotography.com

I stopped by Houston a while back onroute to Bogota. I don't know why people say it's boring. Maybe because had a local friend to bring my wife and I around. The shopping was wonderful and surprisingly better price wise than San Francisco. Food was good. Lots of driving though.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    I stopped by Houston a while back onroute to Bogota. I don't know why people say it's boring. Maybe because had a local friend to bring my wife and I around. The shopping was wonderful and surprisingly better price wise than San Francisco. Food was good. Lots of driving though.
    I wished I saw your thread earlier. I live in Houston for 18 months now. I must agree this is not a tourist heaven in terms of places to visit... (Just NASA is unique) I have not been to Atlanta, but heard it's a little bit more interesting.

But that being said, creampuff is right. The shopping here is great. We do have one of the biggest shopping mall I have ever seen.

Also, within 3hrs drive, you can get to San Marcos factory outlet for more shopping. It is undoubtedly one of THE best outlet malls I have been to.

I drove to New Orleans before, and I think it's a great place for partying, be it with out without Mardi Gras. It will be fun.

PM me if you are still coming here, i can certainly tell you where to go for shopping.

Yup, this one is much better than the two....actually within an hour flight, you have plenty option like Orlando, Miami etc.....but Hurrican season starting soon so you need to watch out the weather channel pretty closely if you venture these.

I have some photo of New Orleans if you are interested
    http://www.nikonuser.org/forum/showthread.php?t=486

Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    new orleans is only known for the annual mardi gras.. really big event... lots of flashing. its over already.. somewhere in feb actually
    It's also known for the best Jazz musicians and some really amazing food that you won't find anywhere else, although each meal contains enough cholesterol for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Yup, this one is much better than the two....actually within an hour flight, you have plenty option like Orlando, Miami etc.....but Hurrican season starting soon so you need to watch out the weather channel pretty closely if you venture these.

I have some photo of New Orleans if you are interested
    http://www.nikonuser.org/forum/showthread.php?t=486
    Hurricane season started 1 June and it's supposedly going to be busy. We had two named storms in the first two weeks but it's been mostly dry since then.

Quote Originally Posted by ajneo View Post
    I wished I saw your thread earlier. I live in Houston for 18 months now. I must agree this is not a tourist heaven in terms of places to visit... (Just NASA is unique) I have not been to Atlanta, but heard it's a little bit more interesting.

But that being said, creampuff is right. The shopping here is great. We do have one of the biggest shopping mall I have ever seen.

Also, within 3hrs drive, you can get to San Marcos factory outlet for more shopping. It is undoubtedly one of THE best outlet malls I have been to.

I drove to New Orleans before, and I think it's a great place for partying, be it with out without Mardi Gras. It will be fun.

PM me if you are still coming here, i can certainly tell you where to go for shopping.
    San Marcos outlet is not that great, most people prefer Woodbury (NY) or Gilroy (SF). Of course, in the armpit of america (texas), shopping is the only thing you can do.

Like the OP said, he only has a couple of days. Unless he flies, driving from Atlanta to Houston will take a full day, one way. Long distance driving takes endurance and practice too. Keep it between New Orleans or Panama City, or just stay put in Atlanta.
    Shopping is good anywhere in the US, no need to drive 13 hours to get to a mall.

from atlanta the nearest outlet is abt 1.5hrs away, north georgia premium outlets.. if shopping is one of the key interests.. good place to pick up some low priced value for money branded clothing and handbags
    chezburgr i can haz?

Thanks guys, still deciding at this point. Will give my friend in Houston a call this weekend and see how. Maybe head to Disney World in Orlando instead?

Haha i studied in Atlanta for 4 years. Just graduated..

I can tell you right now that its pretty boring.

BUT, Houston is confirm worse than Atlanta.

Atlanta has good nightspots,great live music, good food. And a decent number of attractions to keep first time visitors in check

And you can always fly 40 mins down to Orlando for disneyworld

If you're the nature loving kind, Georgia will be a wonderland for you. Can drive up and do hiking, water rafting and all. The Georgia mountains are beautful. Can drive to neary tennessee and the carolinas as well. All with great scenery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast