Thread: Ultra Portable Mac notebook!

Thumbs up Ultra Portable Mac notebook!

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/10/...ebook-in-2007/

Hope that it is really true!

Last time I complained that Apple notebook is heavy, I got bashed by all the defensive mac fanboy giving all the reasons why Apple notebook is such weight and asked me to go other brands if I want a ultraportable.

Now, maybe it's true that Apple is going to have an ultraportable!

Default Re: Ultra Portable Mac notebook!

can't wait for the revealing of the new form factors for both the notebook and iMac!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox View Post
    can't wait for the revealing of the new form factors for both the notebook and iMac!
    If the keyboard is replaced with multi-touch touch screen, it will be cool!

less than 3 pounds is still pretty heavy.....

aiya, I thought Apple should have something less than 2 pounds with a smaller screen.

You really believe that the current notebook computers from Apple are heavy?

I've had a 15.2 inch PowerBook for about two years and it seems the perfect size and not too heavy (5.6 pounds), even with my Crumpler backpack full of camera gear.

The old 12 inch was too small for me and I don't have huge hands. I find Sony's 10.6 inch machine far too small to be useful.

I'm not doubting that there are people who will want such small machines but I truly don't understand why. Generally, it seems to me, you give up too much for the machine to be versatile.

Tell me what I'm missing, please.

Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    You really believe that the current notebook computers from Apple are heavy?

I've had a 15.2 inch PowerBook for about two years and it seems the perfect size and not too heavy (5.6 pounds), even with my Crumpler backpack full of camera gear.

The old 12 inch was too small for me and I don't have huge hands. I find Sony's 10.6 inch machine far too small to be useful.

I'm not doubting that there are people who will want such small machines but I truly don't understand why. Generally, it seems to me, you give up too much for the machine to be versatile.

Tell me what I'm missing, please.
    One man meat is another poison!!! Surf net, word processing, simple presentation a mini notebook can already. Most of my classmates have notebooks without CDROM drive, limited ports as they just need a terminal to do simple works, browsing internet and email and when they need power and games, they have a powerful rig at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/10/...ebook-in-2007/

Hope that it is really true!

Last time I complained that Apple notebook is heavy, I got bashed by all the defensive mac fanboy giving all the reasons why Apple notebook is such weight and asked me to go other brands if I want a ultraportable.

Now, maybe it's true that Apple is going to have an ultraportable!
    I think this rumour has been around and recycled for some time already. I've been waiting for the ultra portable for a lot of years. First went with the Ti G4, and recently a Macbook. Nice to have, but the hit rate for macrumors.com makes me treat this "news" with a grain of salt.

I think some of us still remember the powerbook 230 duo more than 10 years ago. I got one for almost nothing with half the LCD dead some time back, and the weight and size was just perfect. Too bad they dont make them like that anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    less than 3 pounds is still pretty heavy.....

aiya, I thought Apple should have something less than 2 pounds with a smaller screen.

Less than 3 pounds still considered as heavy??? That's like less than 1.3 kg... I will be happy with such a notebook with 12" screen.

The iphone was a rumour for many years before it became a reality, lets hope we don't have to wait so long.

Never believe in small small notebooks.......performance always not so great.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image View Post
    Never believe in small small ******.......performance always not so great.

heihei....

i plan to buy new one when its new product released
    Yes, Tough I am.

Well, heres to hoping for a 14 or 15 inch ultralight. I'd love the current 15" MacBook Pro in =<2kg

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image View Post
    People buy small small notebooks not for performance mah.......for portability and simple simple task task

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    I think this rumour has been around and recycled for some time already. I've been waiting for the ultra portable for a lot of years. First went with the Ti G4, and recently a Macbook. Nice to have, but the hit rate for macrumors.com makes me treat this "news" with a grain of salt.

I think some of us still remember the powerbook 230 duo more than 10 years ago. I got one for almost nothing with half the LCD dead some time back, and the weight and size was just perfect. Too bad they dont make them like that anymore!
    It would be on Page 2 at MacRumors, if it had very little likelihood but there have been rumours of tablet Macs for quite a while now also. The multi-touch technology featured in the iPhone is supposedly being applied to larger equipment but the price seems prohibitive.

Then again, the PowerBook Duo series was expensive and so are some of these ultra portable machines.

I still think the things are going to be almost exclusive to company administrators who already don't know how to use a computer but want to look important.

There are many types of computer notebook users out there. You've seen people with 17" or 20" notebooks, and there are some who prefer to carry small Sony U series around or the OQO. Me personally, I used to carry 10kg with me when I go on business trips (mostly because of the brick power supply and a diary for backup) and that was 10 years back. Nowadays, I cut my travel kit down to a Dell Lattitude (company property so can't choose) with power supply and a pen or two. No more paper to save weight. How heavy? 5kgish.

If I have my own company today, I would anytime slim it down some more to say a 12" ultra portable and go to 2-3kg weight. I don't use anything more than Microsoft Office and Firefox so anything on the market is powerful enough for me.