Thread: What setting to use for wedding

Default What setting to use for wedding

Hi all,still new in dslr,what setting u guys use for wedding and for potrait.I am using D200.
    Example for metering,should i use color,centre weighted or spot.And what about focusing mode????Still trying out so need some help from pros...Hoping that some pros can give some tips...

Thanks

Default Re: What setting to use for wedding

You can ask Jeanie, that person managed to clock 2.3K shots. Expert!! !

Quote Originally Posted by wfpload View Post
    Hi all,still new in dslr,what setting u guys use for wedding and for potrait.I am using D200.
    Example for metering,should i use color,centre weighted or spot.And what about focusing mode????Still trying out so need some help from pros...Hoping that some pros can give some tips...

Thanks
    To be honest with you... go practise on different modes yourself first. Once you yourself get an idea on which works for you better, there you'll have it. There is no ONE mode or setting to fit all...

Each person will have an idea that works better for him or her and he/she is right as he/she is the one who actually shoots and gets the process done.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by wfpload View Post

Thanks
    wedding can use A mode with around f4~f8...metering can use matrix...focusing can use centre...

unless you have a wedding job with your D200, go experiment with your camera first

P mode can also get the job done if you're not fussy
    Most people would use A mode and the aperture would depend on the DOF you are trying to achieve.
    M mode is the most versatile and powerful mode but also the most advanced.

As for metering, you need to understand how the camera meters first with each of the metering modes. Matrix metering should be fine for your usage.
    Work: PicasaWeb | Play: Animus3 | Mobile: Tumblr

For a typical Malay void deck wedding with common tungsten lightings, any tips?
    Me 1st time shooting wedding (keypoh photographer) with Canon S5-IS fixed with external flash. Plan to use custom white balance, P mode, Auto ISO, matrix metering, use bounce flash with diffuser and own made bounce card oso.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mutant View Post
    For a typical Malay void deck wedding with common tungsten lightings, any tips?
    Me 1st time shooting wedding (keypoh photographer) with Canon S5-IS fixed with external flash. Plan to use custom white balance, P mode, Auto ISO, matrix metering, use bounce flash with diffuser and own made bounce card oso.

set your WB for your flash
    set iso to as high as you can accept
    P mode is OK

bounce flash is OK with maybe a small bounce card
    try it out at the location first

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Should I use a white paper or gray paper for the custom WB with flash?
    ISO I will set max 200 as 400 and above is noisy for S5 IS.
    I will try a small bounce card as u suggested, attached to the diffuser or should I juz use the bounce card only?
    Using Emoblitz eTTL II compatible flash unit.

Blog Entries

for me i just set to flash or daylight
    depends on your flash

for me it is either without bounce card or with a very small bounce card
    Last edited by ortega; 11th August 2008 at 12:33 PM.

Ok, thanx. Will do some test shoot by coming early and play around with the settings.