Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3678910 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 185

Thread: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

  1. #141

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    Its a nightmare...
    That's why we need

    Ctrl+Alt+Del!

  2. #142
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    do i have to be a medical professor to post here? if the authority knows there is shelf life,
    act on it, they are paid to think to solve problem and not sitting there and start telling ppl
    who comes to them and says "hey bro, no blood for you cos what we have is expired."

    would you believe if i say yes and i donate every month?
    No you don't.

    Yes they do.

    Good for you. Btw, you aren't allowed to donate every month.......
    Last edited by dkw; 12th July 2007 at 01:33 PM.

  3. #143

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ...And you say this when there is a shortage of both doctors AND nurses.

    In your "Utopian future", you will just end up with very slavish doctors and nurses... Who somehow can't do their job because there's very few of them; since the hospitals have fired everyone who doesn't follow the instructions to a T.

    Do you work? Does your company have regulations? Do you follow them properly? I doubt so. Do unto others what you would have done to yourself.

    Besides, following instructions count for diddly squat. I can have a doctor/nurse who follows instructions very well, but can't do anything for nuts.
    I work 20 yrs and now a business man...how abt you?
    you're talking like a C*....heehe

  4. #144

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    do i have to be a medical professor to post here? if the authority knows there is shelf life,
    act on it, they are paid to think to solve problem and not sitting there and start telling ppl
    who comes to them and says "hey bro, no blood for you cos what we have is expired."

    would you believe if i say yes and i donate every month?
    why dun you go apply to be a doctor...and you will now how it is to work in a hosp...

  5. #145

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post
    And your opinion is based on?
    her husband's interview with the media.
    he was told that his wife has hit a quota and that he have to get donors to replenish
    the stock. that is why he was there at the blood bank with 200 frens and relatives for
    donation and was only told to wait for office hour b4 they can enter.

    what he says on media was false? you know better? care to share?
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

  6. #146

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by Minlon View Post
    I work 20 yrs and now a business man...how abt you?
    you're talking like a C*....heehe
    I lived for 21 years,

    And I found out at 19 that age counts for nothing when it comes to maturity.

    Good day to you. I am Superman, I have been working for 400 years, and I do Lois Lane. Sucks to be you, businessman!

    Btw, ad hominem attacks are logical fallacies, wink.
    Last edited by night86mare; 12th July 2007 at 01:44 PM.

  7. #147

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by westwest2 View Post
    why dun you go apply to be a doctor...and you will now how it is to work in a hosp...
    you know? care to share?
    i believe many ppl would love to know.
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

  8. #148
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    her husband's interview with the media.
    he was told that his wife has hit a quota and that he have to get donors to replenish
    the stock. that is why he was there at the blood bank with 200 frens and relatives for
    donation and was only told to wait for office hour b4 they can enter.

    what he says on media was false? you know better? care to share?
    Cor.....you are really quite funny. My question was to your assertion that a hospital should have more than a few packs of blood and replenishment was easy (post #128). I never asked about the husbands opinion.

    Perhaps you'd like to reassert how you are donating MONTHLY at our blood bank??
    Last edited by dkw; 12th July 2007 at 01:45 PM.

  9. #149

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    her husband's interview with the media.
    he was told that his wife has hit a quota and that he have to get donors to replenish
    the stock. that is why he was there at the blood bank with 200 frens and relatives for
    donation and was only told to wait for office hour b4 they can enter.

    what he says on media was false? you know better? care to share?
    Did you read the report you posted?

    She suffered from a condition, which is defined as:

    Normally, when you are injured, certain proteins are turned on and travel to the injury site to help stop bleeding. However, in persons with DIC, these proteins are abnormally active. Small blood clots form throughout the body. Overtime, the clotting proteins become "used up" and are unavailable during times of real injury.

    This disorder can result in clots or, more often, bleeding. Bleeding can be severe.
    The site I'm using, found easily via GOOGLE, states that blood transfusion reaction is a possible risk factor for the condition, and the treatment for the condition is to determine and treat the underlying cause of the condition itself.

    Here, read what blood transfusion reaction is, but I suspect I'm wasting my time.

  10. #150

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    you know? care to share?
    i believe many ppl would love to know.
    There is a reason why there is a shortage of doctors/nurses worldwide, the healthcare industry is not an easy one.

    Go imagine it yourself, you mess with death/injury everyday, the job satisfaction level and job approval ratings are perpetually at a low due to the fact that patients can never understand, and you can't really expect them to, that is a fact of life.

    No jobs are easy, but in the true spirit of Animal Farm, some jobs are easier than other jobs! =)

  11. #151

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post
    Cor.....you are really quite funny. My question was to your assertion that a hospital should have more than a few packs of blood and replenishment was easy (post #128). I never asked about the husbands opinion.

    Perhaps you'd like to reassert how you are donating MONTHLY at our blood bank??
    ok, i understand liao.
    well, even an ordinary folk like me would know that a sizable hospital would not only holds
    blood only enough for supply 1 patient at a time right? even if it does, they could have
    enough time to replenish even b4 the transfusion completed right?

    so why are they talking about quota? cant they just do anything possible to save a life first?
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

  12. #152

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    you know? care to share?
    i believe many ppl would love to know.
    haha...people like you dun bother much already...why share?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    There is a reason why there is a shortage of doctors/nurses worldwide, the healthcare industry is not an easy one.

    Go imagine it yourself, you mess with death/injury everyday, the job satisfaction level and job approval ratings are perpetually at a low due to the fact that patients can never understand, and you can't really expect them to, that is a fact of life.

    No jobs are easy, but in the true spirit of Animal Farm, some jobs are easier than other jobs! =)
    some people just does not understand it those spirit of animal farm...

  13. #153
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    ok, i understand liao.
    well, even an ordinary folk like me would know that a sizable hospital would not only holds
    blood only enough for supply 1 patient at a time right? even if it does, they could have
    enough time to replenish even b4 the transfusion completed right?

    so why are they talking about quota? cant they just do anything possible to save a life first?
    My friend, this is exactly the point I am trying to make. Nobody knows what has transpired. I know from some experience, how in the emotional heat of a medical emergency, information gets miscommunicated and perceptions are altered. Please don't take the husband's word as gospel. I am not saying he is lying, I am saying that in his anxiety, he may not have understood what was going and percieved things incorrectly. Believe me, happens all the time. If you read the news report, the blood bank lady has already said there IS NO QUOTA. Why is it so difficult to give the benefit of the doubt and believe that?

    As for your point about replenishment, no, it is not so easy, and it may not even be relevant to this case. She has already had more than 100 units, and was already suffering from a transfusion reaction. See my other posts.

    Please don't pre-judge.

  14. #154

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Did you read the report you posted?

    She suffered from a condition, which is defined as:



    The site I'm using, found easily via GOOGLE, states that blood transfusion reaction is a possible risk factor for the condition, and the treatment for the condition is to determine and treat the underlying cause of the condition itself.

    Here, read what blood transfusion reaction is, but I suspect I'm wasting my time.
    sorry if i waste your time.
    anyway, could her dead was due to shortage of blood due to her excessive breeding?
    you know shortage of blood could lead to many breakdown in the body so there is also
    possibility that it could be due to the above and that the hospital could be blamed.

    dont expect ordinary folks like me would know everything lah. but at least by looking on the
    ground value, what the hospital done was wrong. sorry she had hit the blood quota.
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

  15. #155

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Notwithstanding the policy considerations, I think this episode shows the "Just Follow Law" mentality of Singapore so well.

    I think the hospital forgot the most important reason for its existence: To do whatever it takes to save a life.

    I trained as a combat medic in the Army. I was taught to do whatever necessary to save the life of a casualty in front of me. If the soldier needs three bandages, I was told to give three bandages. If he needs infusion, give infusion. If he needs morphine, give morphine. Etc.

    I can't give only one bandage when he needs three, simply because there might be other casualties down the line that I don't know about. I can't have a quota of bandages per soldier. I do whatever it takes because that is the only way to save a life. It may be that there could be more casualties in front, but I don't know that. What I do know is that if I stint on this casualty, if I impose a "quota", he may very well die.

    I think the hospital forgot this. Or the blood bank. Or whomever.

    Rules are created for a reason, true. But the creator could not have foreseen every particular circumstance when creating the rules. Hence if there is a reason to break the rule, then the rule must be broken.

    Conscience and common sense are as necessary as policy thinking.

  16. #156

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    sorry if i waste your time.
    anyway, could her dead was due to shortage of blood due to her excessive breeding?
    you know shortage of blood could lead to many breakdown in the body so there is also
    possibility that it could be due to the above and that the hospital could be blamed.

    dont expect ordinary folks like me would know everything lah. but at least by looking on the
    ground value, what the hospital done was wrong. sorry she had hit the blood quota.
    so you want them to sue the hosp which will in turn rise the cost of health care in sg?

  17. #157
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    sorry if i waste your time.
    anyway, could her dead was due to shortage of blood due to her excessive breeding?
    you know shortage of blood could lead to many breakdown in the body so there is also
    possibility that it could be due to the above and that the hospital could be blamed.

    dont expect ordinary folks like me would know everything lah. but at least by looking on the
    ground value, what the hospital done was wrong. sorry she had hit the blood quota.
    ???? u mean the twins?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  18. #158
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    sorry if i waste your time.
    anyway, could her dead was due to shortage of blood due to her excessive breeding?
    you know shortage of blood could lead to many breakdown in the body so there is also
    possibility that it could be due to the above and that the hospital could be blamed.

    dont expect ordinary folks like me would know everything lah. but at least by looking on the
    ground value, what the hospital done was wrong. sorry she had hit the blood quota.
    Yes, you do not the situation, what the hospital did or did not do, yet you are very quick to accuse them of some misdeed? You demand an apology? What if in fact they had been very above board and the husband in his grief had mis-perceived or the press had sensationalised? How is that fair?

  19. #159
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    Notwithstanding the policy considerations, I think this episode shows the "Just Follow Law" mentality of Singapore so well.

    I think the hospital forgot the most important reason for its existence: To do whatever it takes to save a life.

    I trained as a combat medic in the Army. I was taught to do whatever necessary to save the life of a casualty in front of me. If the soldier needs three bandages, I was told to give three bandages. If he needs infusion, give infusion. If he needs morphine, give morphine. Etc.

    I can't give only one bandage when he needs three, simply because there might be other casualties down the line that I don't know about. I can't have a quota of bandages per soldier. I do whatever it takes because that is the only way to save a life. It may be that there could be more casualties in front, but I don't know that. What I do know is that if I stint on this casualty, if I impose a "quota", he may very well die.

    I think the hospital forgot this. Or the blood bank. Or whomever.

    Rules are created for a reason, true. But the creator could not have foreseen every particular circumstance when creating the rules. Hence if there is a reason to break the rule, then the rule must be broken.

    Conscience and common sense are as necessary as policy thinking.

    Very good. I'll pray very hard for the next guy who comes along and needs the bandages and you have none left.

  20. #160

    Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

    End of the day..... all the talking here amounts to nothing... so I find it so strange you have certain individuals who are really keen to push the official media's version down everyone's throat and defending the hospital. It seems more like this individuals are trying so hard to convince everyone to just forget about the matter and move on. A case of the rumoured undercover counter anti party task force at work?

    I would say let's just wait for the investigation and be wary of what the news says. Anyway we all know and in case new readers dont know. Our press is not exactly free.... it is state regulated and it reports only pro state reports. At the 16th Asian Media Information and Communication Centre Annual Conference, the SPH's editor in chief said this infamous lines " Willingly played a nation building role" and makes no apologies for being pro Singappre. Basically SPH is not neutral and will report news to put the government in good light.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3678910 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •