Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

Quote Originally Posted by Minlon View Post
    To cut the point short, you can have the same type of training. But different people will bring away different things, and the system can never control the quality output of PEOPLE. Products, maybe. But people are not products.
    Rule and Regulation has to be enforced...If the quality output of people is not up to a company requirements and cannot follow instruction...ask them to bye bye lor![/quote]

tats y alot of ppl bye bye... sad to say... most of the people who bye bye are those whom are really nice and passionate to the whole well-being & welfare of the patients...

cos you think lor, if i nice, sure won't stay there for long, go look for better pay, better prospect... y stay there to kena screw everyday? so those left to kena screw everyday, will end up numb... well, thats how i feel...

I can be nice for maybe 1 month, but if nobody reciprocate, then i will lose the motivation sooner or later...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Rule and Regulation has to be enforced...If the quality output of people is not up to a company requirements and cannot follow instruction...ask them to bye bye lor!
    ...And you say this when there is a shortage of both doctors AND nurses.

In your "Utopian future", you will just end up with very slavish doctors and nurses... Who somehow can't do their job because there's very few of them; since the hospitals have fired everyone who doesn't follow the instructions to a T.

Do you work? Does your company have regulations? Do you follow them properly? I doubt so. Do unto others what you would have done to yourself.

Besides, following instructions count for diddly squat. I can have a doctor/nurse who follows instructions very well, but can't do anything for nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01 View Post
    This is a case of damn if you do and damn if you don't.

The question is did you get a change? yes and yet you are not happy and still complaint - action taken by staff still got complaint if no action taken also complaint.

To you, changing a room is a simple task of moving over.

Simple logic will tell one that it is not such an easy task. One has to ensure the whole system is updated the other shift knows of the change etc. because medicine, treatment etc is to be given to Bed xx and now it is not bed xx but bed yy. And imagine if another patient move over to bed xx etc etc and confusion start and wrong treatment and medicine goes to the wrong patient bec she/he moves the bed ... then more complaint etc etc...

More importantly a change was made despite of the challenges and the sad fact is that their effort in explaining is taken in a negative light ie "negative reply". What is sadder is that even the drinking water is expected to be carried over within 1/2 hour, though you can do it yourself as proven.

Perhaps it is the mindset of the patient that need to change ie. going into a hospital expecting to be treated with 24/7 with 100% personalize care.

During my admission few weeks ago I waited more than 45mins for the pre-ops examination and I was rather agitated cos I perceived that the staff was "that busy meh" and then my wife reminded me that perhaps I should put myself in the shoes of the staff and be more understanding. Because the mindset of the ppl going to the hospital is like a snake ready to strike at the staff for every discomfort and mistakes. And under scuh condition who would want to work in the hospital? That awoken me and my subsequent stay was very pleasant cos respect was given and also returned many times. My total cost of my stay was over $3000(include CPF medisave) and no regrets.
    Hi PE

I like your Nature shoot .. Well, frantly speaking I like to see a utopia world...
    I'm previously handle Project and my duty is provide better service, quality at a lower cost inorder to get more order from our customer. Sometime customer is ridiculors but we cannot reply them negatively. We must make them 'song'. We just cannot said this cannot be done and that cannot be done. We have to think of a solution to compromise each other. This is my responsibility in a service line.
    Since they cannot stop the Indian lady to stop talking loudly from morning to the middle of the nite, then it is their duty to think of a better alternatives to improve it. Or they might change a room if anyone have a request, although the changing might be very troublesome. They have to do it coz it is their job. They should be very familiar with their system and I suppose it is not a difficullt if they know the system well. Just because of trouble or lazy?
    We bring up an issue coz we knew that there is room of improving and not complaining. We want a continuing improving team Singapore and not keep quiet and let it be. Hope you understand.

You're a kind heart person and if everyone is the same...then we can achieve a Utopia world. Hope to see this days come.

Quote Originally Posted by leejay View Post
    Yeah, I saw on the 10pm news last night. I felt very sad as I saw the husband's anger and grief.

If I am a billionaire, I'll sue them until they really go and sell blood to pay for their lawyers.

bro, if you are a millionair, the blood supply to you would be like tap water.
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    I wish everyone would see the reason for policies, cold-blooded as they seem.

The media is good at sensationalising things, why don't we all take a look at an alternative article here, and from a personal viewpoint, I wonder why we express outrage at this particular incident, when the truth is uglier over here, I quote:
    if they are really seriously with the stock level, alternative policy should be implemented
    now b4 even the next casualty came out. they are paid to do all the thinking and not sitting
    there and wait for solution. they cant tell the next patient that "hey bro, sorry no blood
    in blood bank, take a Q number and wait for our call at home."

pay donor for blood. that is what our govt believes. only money can bring in the best ppl.

BTW: http://www.todayonline.com/articles/199594.asp

(Frankly I thought the news team should have sought the hospital's views before going on air, but news media in Singapore... )

Quote Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
    There is no quota in blood transfusion. But blood product has shelf live. There is also different and specific blood type. So they do run out. Dont get it wrong.
    Relatives / family are asked to donate to top up or in the case of inadequate specific group, donate to the patient in need.
    blood bank no money to buy freezer?
    even sperm can store up to 100 years, blood cannot?
    for the past 1 mth, no one donated blood?

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    Well, I dunno whether the people in this thread are doctors, but I'm not, but let's step back for a moment and think whether more blood will save the poor woman. We don't know how much blood exactly was transfused in this case, ie. what the quota was and whether it could be higher, but let's imagine you are the director of the hospital or the blood bank, would you allow unlimited blood usage for one patient, knowing that there may be other patients who need blood and will have a higher chance of surviving ? It's a cruel world, yes, but decisions have to be made to favour the majority.
    i dont think there would be only a few packets of blood in a big hospital. anyway, the blood
    transfusion progress takes time, so it would not be difficult to replenish if it is required.

has our healthcare become so "business like" until no money no talk ?

take a look at some old folks.. when they are sick.. they are just chucked into C class wards.. some of them i believe gave much to nation building when they were young.. but they are old..sigh.
    Last edited by raincool2005; 12th July 2007 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    blood bank no money to buy freezer?
    even sperm can store up to 100 years, blood cannot?
    for the past 1 mth, no one donated blood?
    Do you even pause to do a little research before posting? Blood products has limited shelf life, it is not just a matter of freezing or refrigeration. A 5-second search on google will give you this --> http://www.bloodbook.com/products.html. Posting in ignorance?

To your other point, did you donate blood in the last month?

Twins mum's death: A blood issue
    Woman died from massive bleeding during childbirth, not blood shortage: Hospital

Ansley Ng
    ansley@mediacorp.com.sg

THE woman who died after giving birth to twins succumbed to an acute blood condition arising from massive bleeding, not because the hospital ran out of blood supplies, Raffles Hospital clarified yesterday.
    Madam Swee Lay Kuan, 44, was admitted to the hospital last Thursday for bleeding. And when it did not stop two days later, she was transferred to the Intensive Care Unit, where she delivered twins a boy and a girl.
    But on Monday, instead of basking in the joy of holding her newborn twins in her arms, Mdm Swee died from a severe blood condition, Disseminated Intra-Vascular Coagulopathy a blood coagulation problem resulting from massive bleeding and transfusion.
    The initial bleeding happened because of a low-lying placenta, which covered the babies' exit. When it did not stop, Mdm Swee was scheduled for Caesarean section in the interest of her twins, said the private hospital's spokeswoman Liang Hwee Ting.
    During the operation, she suffered massive bleeding, and emergency blood transfusion was carried out several times.
    At her wake on Tuesday, her distraught husband Jason Low told Channel 8 News there was not enough blood to save his wife, and doctors could not get around the protocol of getting permission from higher management to have more blood released to help his wife.
    Mr Low said he was told his wife had overshot a transfusion limit and doctors needed permission to release more blood.
    "Do you need permission to save a life?" a sobbing Mr Low asked.
    Believing that the hospital had run out of blood supplies, Mr Low, 43, had rallied nearly 200 friends and family members on Sunday to donate blood to save Mdm Swee.
    Yesterday, the hospital clarified its procedures and the incident.
    "Blood transfusion is given based on clinical needs, and all bleeding emergencies are given top priority," said Ms Liang. "No approval from the hospital's higher authority is required."
    She added there was never a shortage of blood for Mdm Swee.
    The hospital has its own blood supply and will request for more units from the Bloodbank@HSA when its supply runs low during emergencies.
    "In the case of Mdm Swee, where massive bleeding was encountered, the hospital had immediately requested the Bloodbank@HSA for further units of blood. This request was readily met. The hospital will not wait until supplies are low to send for replenishment," she said.
    Ms Liang added that the hospital is in contact with Mr Low and will "render support and assistance in any way we can".
    A Bloodbank spokeswoman said that in an event of a sudden or unanticipated massive bleeding emergency, hospitals will send a sample of the patient's blood to the bank for blood matching, and blood supplies will be sent to the hospital immediately.
    The couple, both working in a family-run cleaning company, have two other daughters, aged 11 and 17.
    Mdm Swee's death certificate stated that she died of cardio-respiratory failure. A coroner's inquiry will be held to find out how she died.
    The twins are in stable condition and have been transferred to the Singapore General Hospital.
    Woman died from massive bleeding during childbirth, not blood shortage: Hospital

Ansley Ng
    ansley@mediacorp.com.sg

they can say anything they want now!

i dont think there would be only a few packets of blood in a big hospital. anyway, the blood
    transfusion progress takes time, so it would not be difficult to replenish if it is required.
    And your opinion is based on?

Rule and Regulation has to be enforced...If the quality output of people is not up to a company requirements and cannot follow instruction...ask them to bye bye lor!
    cannot like that say...there is a shortage of doc and nurse in gov sector...

Twins mum's death: A blood issue

Ansley Ng
    ansley@mediacorp.com.sg

THE woman who died after giving birth to twins succumbed to an acute blood condition arising from massive bleeding, not because the hospital ran out of blood supplies, Raffles Hospital clarified yesterday.
    Madam Swee Lay Kuan, 44, was admitted to the hospital last Thursday for bleeding. And when it did not stop two days later, she was transferred to the Intensive Care Unit, where she delivered twins a boy and a girl.
    But on Monday, instead of basking in the joy of holding her newborn twins in her arms, Mdm Swee died from a severe blood condition, Disseminated Intra-Vascular Coagulopathy a blood coagulation problem resulting from massive bleeding and transfusion.
    The initial bleeding happened because of a low-lying placenta, which covered the babies' exit. When it did not stop, Mdm Swee was scheduled for Caesarean section in the interest of her twins, said the private hospital's spokeswoman Liang Hwee Ting.
    During the operation, she suffered massive bleeding, and emergency blood transfusion was carried out several times.
    At her wake on Tuesday, her distraught husband Jason Low told Channel 8 News there was not enough blood to save his wife, and doctors could not get around the protocol of getting permission from higher management to have more blood released to help his wife.
    Mr Low said he was told his wife had overshot a transfusion limit and doctors needed permission to release more blood.
    "Do you need permission to save a life?" a sobbing Mr Low asked.
    Believing that the hospital had run out of blood supplies, Mr Low, 43, had rallied nearly 200 friends and family members on Sunday to donate blood to save Mdm Swee.
    Yesterday, the hospital clarified its procedures and the incident.
    "Blood transfusion is given based on clinical needs, and all bleeding emergencies are given top priority," said Ms Liang. "No approval from the hospital's higher authority is required."
    She added there was never a shortage of blood for Mdm Swee.
    The hospital has its own blood supply and will request for more units from the Bloodbank@HSA when its supply runs low during emergencies.
    "In the case of Mdm Swee, where massive bleeding was encountered, the hospital had immediately requested the Bloodbank@HSA for further units of blood. This request was readily met. The hospital will not wait until supplies are low to send for replenishment," she said.
    Ms Liang added that the hospital is in contact with Mr Low and will "render support and assistance in any way we can".
    A Bloodbank spokeswoman said that in an event of a sudden or unanticipated massive bleeding emergency, hospitals will send a sample of the patient's blood to the bank for blood matching, and blood supplies will be sent to the hospital immediately.
    The couple, both working in a family-run cleaning company, have two other daughters, aged 11 and 17.
    Mdm Swee's death certificate stated that she died of cardio-respiratory failure. A coroner's inquiry will be held to find out how she died.
    The twins are in stable condition and have been transferred to the Singapore General Hospital.

Ansley Ng
    ansley@mediacorp.com.sg

they can say anything they want now!
    Just so that we understand your bias, even if the above were a statement of the facts, you would choose not to believe, right?

No point trying to convince you then, is there?

Hi PE

I like your Nature shoot .. Well, frantly speaking I like to see a utopia world...
    I'm previously handle Project and my duty is provide better service, quality at a lower cost inorder to get more order from our customer. Sometime customer is ridiculors but we cannot reply them negatively. We must make them 'song'. We just cannot said this cannot be done and that cannot be done. We have to think of a solution to compromise each other. This is my responsibility in a service line.
    Since they cannot stop the Indian lady to stop talking loudly from morning to the middle of the nite, then it is their duty to think of a better alternatives to improve it. Or they might change a room if anyone have a request, although the changing might be very troublesome. They have to do it coz it is their job. They should be very familiar with their system and I suppose it is not a difficullt if they know the system well. Just because of trouble or lazy?
    We bring up an issue coz we knew that there is room of improving and not complaining. We want a continuing improving team Singapore and not keep quiet and let it be. Hope you understand.

You're a kind heart person and if everyone is the same...then we can achieve a Utopia world. Hope to see this days come.
    well... that depends which ward you go to... sometimes changing a bed will need a few departments involved... for eg...

1) Need to check with billing and admin, to see if any free beds available.
    2) Need to check if ward staff are available for switch.
    3) Need to exchange notes with both sides
    4) Need to inform doctor in charge
    5) Need to make sure her diet is passed to other ward

etc etc... not easy task... 1 change of bed, all must be informed... imagine giving wrong diet, wrong diagnosis...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post
    Just so that we understand your bias, even if the above were a statement of the facts, you would choose not to believe, right?

No point trying to convince you then, is there?
    good one there...

And your opinion is based on?
    He is not medically trained, so his opinion is better than medically trained personnel.

So if he says that they are cooking up new names, risking doctors' careers to make that diagnosis.. He must be right!

Welcome to Singapore.

Do you even pause to do a little research before posting? Blood products has limited shelf life, it is not just a matter of freezing or refrigeration. A 5-second search on google will give you this --> http://www.bloodbook.com/products.html. Posting in ignorance?

To your other point, did you donate blood in the last month?
    do i have to be a medical professor to post here? if the authority knows there is shelf life,
    act on it, they are paid to think to solve problem and not sitting there and start telling ppl
    who comes to them and says "hey bro, no blood for you cos what we have is expired."

would you believe if i say yes and i donate every month?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    He is not medically trained, so his opinion is better than medically trained personnel.

So if he says that they are cooking up new names, risking doctors' careers to make that diagnosis.. He must be right!

Welcome to Singapore.
    Its a nightmare...

do i have to be a medical professor to post here? if the authority knows there is shelf life,
    act on it, they are paid to think to solve problem and not sitting there and start telling ppl
    who comes to them and says "hey bro, no blood for you cos what we have is expired."

would you believe if i say yes and i donate every month?
    If the authority knows there is shelf life, what can they do about it if no one donates?

Start kidnapping people off the streets and drain blood from them, start a Vampire Empire?

It doesn't take a medical professor to know that there is no solution to this except Singaporeans donating more blood. Simple as that.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast