Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    It is easy to be an armchair critic and just say, oooh everyone up there on their high pedestals do not care, they just want their money; this may be true of some, but we cannot let a few drops of mud muddy the ocean and call it a muddy ocean. Being a doctor is not easy, especially when you are involved in life or death situations, we may all dream of a world where doctors act like Hugh Laurie in House MD, but welcome to reality; even superdoctors are limited by their circumstances.
    Plenty of armchair critics in this forum. Ask any of them to draft policies, operationalise plans and balance budgets, while keeping staff happy. Lets see how many of them can do a better job than the incumbents. Easy to sit back and critique, especially in the anonymity of an internet forum.

Whilst you guys are siiting here pounding on a keyboard, shooting arrows at our health service, the docs and underappreciated nurses are out there seeing patients, the lab techs are running tests, x-ray technicians setting up for wet films, blood bank techs thawing packs for an emergency op on a boy racer who just smashed his face because he didn't wear a seat belt. These are the folk who go about their work quietly, performing a public service day after day. The A&E receptionist that our poster here so "Heroically" confronted, the girl with 'O' level qualifications dealing with abusive patients/parents day after day, fretting about her 2-year old at home alone because she is doing the night shift. These are the "heroes", not the ungrateful, whining, navel-gazing, presumptous Singaporeans throwing brickbats in utter ignorance of what it takes to run an emergency medical service.

Please, go ahead, keep casting those stones. Drive all these "useless goondus", "bureaucratic civil servants" out of their jobs. Keep them away. You can do a better job, right? You know how to set up a healthcare delivery service that performs 100% efficiently at low cost, yes? YOU, the master of second guessing, retrospection, YOU could never ever do any worse than those "idiots" in the health ministry, can you? Please, drive them all out. Make it impossible for the heads of departments in hospitals to retain their staff. Abuse them to the point they swear they will never allow their children to be involved in health care professions. Lets see what happens.
    Last edited by dkw; 12th July 2007 at 09:14 AM.

Hope this gives all Singaporeans a wake up call.. How many of us here are regular blood donors? Probably only a handful.

Right now just over 1% of our population are regular blood donors and our hospitals need an average of 300 to 350 units of blood everyday. Hence I believe instead of sitting in front of the computer passing senseless remarks, heading down to the Blood Bank for blood donation is definitely more helpful.

As for those who say they have no time on hand, it is just a pathetic excuse in my opinion. I am sure sparing a day out of 365 days a year isn't a lot to ask for. If u want to do good and save a life, I believe u must be prepared to at least inconvenience urself a little.

Give Blood. Give Life.
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post
    Whilst you guys are siiting here pounding on a keyboard, shooting arrows at our health service, the docs and underappreciated nurses are out there seeing patients, the lab techs are running tests, x-ray technicians setting up for wet films, blood bank techs thawing packs for an emergency op on a boy racer who just smashed his ugly face because he didn't wear a seat belt. These are the folk who go about their work quietly, performing a public service day after day. The A&E receptionist that our poster here so "Heroically" confronted, the girl with 'O' level qualifications dealing with abusive patients/parents day after day, fretting about her 2-year old at home alone because she is doing the night shift. These are the "heroes", not the ungrateful, whining, navel-gazing, presumptous Singaporeans throwing brickbats in utter ignorance of what it takes to run an emergency medical service.

Please, go ahead, keep casting those stones. Drive all these "useless goondus", "bureaucratic civil servants" out of their jobs. Keep them away. You can do a better job, right? You know how to set up a healthcare delivery service that performs 100% efficiently at low cost, yes? YOU, the master of second guessing, retrospection, YOU could never ever do any worse than those "idiots" in the health ministry, can you? Please, drive them all out. Make it impossible for the heads of departments in hospitals to retain their staff. Abuse them to the point they swear they will never allow their children to be involved in health care professions. Lets see what happens.
    Hey relax bro... we appreciate the staff. It's true, most of us here will not be able to draft an excellent plan. That's why we need flexible, jai directors, CEO, President, PM, NCC sergeant, Class rep, I/Cs to do the right job. A person that is fit for the job. Everyone has their strength n weaknesses. That's why everyone goes thru interviews, courses, upgrading, past experience to ensure that everyone should be the right person for the right job.

Everyone is a hero is any sense. A cleaner at the kopitiam is also a hero too. He/she has to timely clear the plates, make sure customers have clean tables...so birds will not feed on it, dispose waste food properly, so pest will not come, will not spread disease...etc.

Engineers, photographers, receptionist, flowerist, garanguni man, doc, laywers are all heros in 1 way or another. However, if they cant face the pressure due to their day to day job, eg, front line customer service officer who deal w unreasonable customers or engineers complain working long hrs w/o overtime pay, i'm sorry, they have to leave their job and deem unsuitable for the job.

b4 joining a career or taking up the position, we shd know the setbacks of the position, eg, long hrs, face rude customers....

That's why, most of us go thru tough selections, eg ministers, to ensure we r suitable to take up the job. Ministers also face lots of criticism. Will they be driven away??

If you are paid and train to do a certain task, shdn't you do it properly and if there are any backfire, shdn't u be answerable as u r the boss of the rules?
    Last edited by damienster; 12th July 2007 at 04:31 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post
    Whilst you guys are siiting here pounding on a keyboard, shooting arrows at our health service, the docs and underappreciated nurses are out there seeing patients, the lab techs are running tests, x-ray technicians setting up for wet films, blood bank techs thawing packs for an emergency op on a boy racer who just smashed his ugly face because he didn't wear a seat belt. These are the folk who go about their work quietly, performing a public service day after day. The A&E receptionist that our poster here so "Heroically" confronted, the girl with 'O' level qualifications dealing with abusive patients/parents day after day, fretting about her 2-year old at home alone because she is doing the night shift. These are the "heroes", not the ungrateful, whining, navel-gazing, presumptous Singaporeans throwing brickbats in utter ignorance of what it takes to run an emergency medical service.

Very well said.

I happened to be admitted to SGH a few weeks ago. Life is certainly tough being a hospital worker ie. from Docs to nurses to cleaners etc. Many of the ppl going to the hospital will not hesitate to abuse the staff for any mistake, cos they are already moody. I find hospital is a very stressful place to work - the demands and critics place on these workers are not only coming from their bosses but also patients and visitors and in this case, from ppl here in CS. Despite all these the staff in SGH was able to carry on their work with a smile on their face.

I am certainly very thankful and appreciative of the health care staff in our hospital. They are doing a job that many will shun but will not hesitate to comments and condemn.

Let me quote this again from dkw : "Please, go ahead, keep casting those stones. Drive all these "useless goondus", "bureaucratic civil servants" out of their jobs. Keep them away. You can do a better job, right? You know how to set up a healthcare delivery service that performs 100% efficiently at low cost, yes? YOU, the master of second guessing, retrospection, YOU could never ever do any worse than those "idiots" in the health ministry, can you? Please, drive them all out. Make it impossible for the heads of departments in hospitals to retain their staff. Abuse them to the point they swear they will never allow their children to be involved in health care professions. Lets see what happens."
    Last edited by chngpe01; 12th July 2007 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GDSNP View Post
    Hope this gives all Singaporeans a wake up call..
    Give Blood. Give Life.
    wake up? since when do singaporeans wake up? even after major incidents, its back to the usual stuff after a few months.

Give blood? asking singaporeans to donate money freely is already hard enough, still want ask them donate blood regularly? i think it's more than a bit difficult.

sorry, reality hits home. we are a pragmatic society.

Empathy them and respect their field of works. Please please please, be more sensitive to our people .......
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Quote Originally Posted by skopio View Post
    Give blood? asking singaporeans to donate money freely is already hard enough, still want ask them donate blood regularly? i think it's more than a bit difficult.
    I have seen people donated more bloods and they keep regularly donating it ..

It is not difficult if you have a belief saving a life is more important then anything else .. and you knows it is worth doing it.
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

I apologise for the outburst. I'm just fed up at how quick and freely folk are to shoot off a nasty note without ANY knowledge or understanding whatsoever. If it turns out that there had been some negligence or a bureacracy which caused this poor lady her life, then FINE, go ahead and lay it onto the HSA and hospital. But there are over 100 posts in this thread, mostly critical, based upon an news reports from a emotional husband? How is that considered fair play? Meanwhile the REAL people doing the REAL job are reading this, and being unable to reply, are bristling and some of them are wondering why they put up with all this rubbish.

Why o why? Hold your horses!

As you can see from this morning's news report, she received over 100 units of blood over 2 days! Anybody with any sort of understanding of what this means could see that 1) She was amply supported, 2) She was in dire straits and additional transfusions may not have helped, and 3) It does not seem to be the immediate die-die must transfuse within a few hours or perish from bleeding type of scenario when she passed away.

A tragedy yes, I am very sad for the husband and kids. But she is not the first person to die from complications of childbirth and she will not be the last.

Hi, i feel that we should wait for the full investigation outcome from both sides.

Personally, i think our SG hospitals are among the best in Asia along with Japan and Hongkong.

if u have been to hospitals in our neighbouring countries, u will thank for what u have in SG.

Can singapore be World Class Standard

I wrote this one years ago in BayB forum. This happened to my wife.

I'm newbies here...Thanks for the usefull information and helpful people here..
    My wife warded to KKH 24 hour clinic when she was bleeding excessively last saturday at 2230 hrs. The doctoe that attending to her( not to mentioned her name here) was so impatient althought I had mentioned to her that my wife is the vietnamese and knew little mandarain. My wife was so nervous and cried in tear and probably of the fear, she didn't understand her instruction and she start to show face and raised her tone instead of caring and concern manner. This is the first incident that I encountered, very non professional.
    Lately, she was brought to her bed. The second days afternoon, I decided to change room because I of the Indian patient was very noise, she keep making call and her telephone ring from time to time and during midnite make call till 2 am. I really can't stand thus approached the staff to requsted for a bed to be changed. However, the staff give a lot of negative reply. ( eg. The bed all are planned according to schedule. if you change to another room, you till this problem, so n so.). I want my wife to have a good rest thus I used the golden word 'Please' again and again in a very low tone and at last she agreed but say only can change only one time. I agreed. My wife was satified with the room. However, we wait and wait for our drinking water to be taken into the new bed, but it was't almost half an hour and I have to go back to the old bed and get it myself. The name tag and information tag was not shift to her new bed, until my wife discharged yesterday, the name of other patient is still there. what are the staff doing...very busy meh. I notices that most of the bed was not occupied( 6 beded). Some room only 1 patient.
    In the afternoon, my wife want to take a walk outside her room, so I bring her out and rest at the lobby outside her room. At that moment she want to vomit and she seem like faint due to giddyness. ( I can see from her eyes). I saw one trainee doctor sitting somewhere not far from her and I requested for help..( he was sms or playing with his hand phone..I'm not sure). He came to me and say that he is not from this sector, however he rush for help and 2 staff came for assistance. However, the doctor still keeping pressing with his handphone...why cannot stop meh.! My company practising no HP are allow inside the office...why not he make use of the rest room or some hidden places. It spoilt a company images...I thinks..The staff nurse walk so slow when I requested for plastics bag and I rush to her and pass it to my wife. My wife do not want to dirty the floor.
    Another incident that she was sending by a staff to do the ultrasound scanning and I was with her. After we reach the counter, she pass her file to the receptionist and she left the counter without informed me what to do next. I wait until my wife complaint that she want to urine. At early stage, the staff nurse told me that she cannot urine... we quickly approached the receptionist and inform the staff there...and she was push to the room and did her scan and I push her to urine and push her back to her room. At that moment, I didn't see the staff that brought her to the counter... where is she???? Talking about World Class Standard, we are very very far away...
    All in All, I will not recommend my friend or anyone to KKH. We are talking techincally, advance equipment ( I'm not sure)..however, servicing, caring and personal relationship is still very important.
    BTW, there is still a lot of good staff there. I would like not to conderm all and this are just my points of views and just sharing with everyone.
    Although I have to paid $860+ 1500 (medisave) for a three days stay (very expensive with this kinda of service). Most importantly, my wife is ok and I take good care of her. Thanks god grace.

Lastly, I will be looking for TMC coz it is near my house( 1 bus stop away). Although, I have booked a doctor at KKH, I would like to make a cancellation.

Above are incident happened a yr ago but yet today still hear bad comments of our hospital. With the higher medication cost but non-professional service.

Hi, very well said dkw. Though I suspect sooner or later you'd find out that balanced thinking in this place renders you being accused of being in cahoots with the people whom the majority are mudslinging. Me, I'm tired of it.

How do you put it - there are ways to improve, things to improve. Gathering a lynch mob whenever things go wrong is never the best way to a solution, neither is using legal force to stomp on the system when every system has its limitations.

Violence is the refuge of the incompetent: unfortunately violence today can be applied very roughly to almost everything, including a snapback reaction of SUE SUE SUE from watching too many American serials.
    Last edited by night86mare; 12th July 2007 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Minlon View Post

I wrote this one years ago in BayB forum. This happened to my wife.

I'm newbies here...Thanks for the usefull information and helpful people here..
    My wife warded to KKH 24 hour clinic when she was bleeding excessively last saturday at 2230 hrs. The doctoe that attending to her( not to mentioned her name here) was so impatient althought I had mentioned to her that my wife is the vietnamese and knew little mandarain. My wife was so nervous and cried in tear and probably of the fear, she didn't understand her instruction and she start to show face and raised her tone instead of caring and concern manner. This is the first incident that I encountered, very non professional.
    Lately, she was brought to her bed. The second days afternoon, I decided to change room because I of the Indian patient was very noise, she keep making call and her telephone ring from time to time and during midnite make call till 2 am. I really can't stand thus approached the staff to requsted for a bed to be changed. However, the staff give a lot of negative reply. ( eg. The bed all are planned according to schedule. if you change to another room, you till this problem, so n so.). I want my wife to have a good rest thus I used the golden word 'Please' again and again in a very low tone and at last she agreed but say only can change only one time. I agreed. My wife was satified with the room. However, we wait and wait for our drinking water to be taken into the new bed, but it was't almost half an hour and I have to go back to the old bed and get it myself. The name tag and information tag was not shift to her new bed, until my wife discharged yesterday, the name of other patient is still there. what are the staff doing...very busy meh. I notices that most of the bed was not occupied( 6 beded). Some room only 1 patient.
    In the afternoon, my wife want to take a walk outside her room, so I bring her out and rest at the lobby outside her room. At that moment she want to vomit and she seem like faint due to giddyness. ( I can see from her eyes). I saw one trainee doctor sitting somewhere not far from her and I requested for help..( he was sms or playing with his hand phone..I'm not sure). He came to me and say that he is not from this sector, however he rush for help and 2 staff came for assistance. However, the doctor still keeping pressing with his handphone...why cannot stop meh.! My company practising no HP are allow inside the office...why not he make use of the rest room or some hidden places. It spoilt a company images...I thinks..The staff nurse walk so slow when I requested for plastics bag and I rush to her and pass it to my wife. My wife do not want to dirty the floor.
    Another incident that she was sending by a staff to do the ultrasound scanning and I was with her. After we reach the counter, she pass her file to the receptionist and she left the counter without informed me what to do next. I wait until my wife complaint that she want to urine. At early stage, the staff nurse told me that she cannot urine... we quickly approached the receptionist and inform the staff there...and she was push to the room and did her scan and I push her to urine and push her back to her room. At that moment, I didn't see the staff that brought her to the counter... where is she???? Talking about World Class Standard, we are very very far away...
    All in All, I will not recommend my friend or anyone to KKH. We are talking techincally, advance equipment ( I'm not sure)..however, servicing, caring and personal relationship is still very important.
    BTW, there is still a lot of good staff there. I would like not to conderm all and this are just my points of views and just sharing with everyone.
    Although I have to paid $860+ 1500 (medisave) for a three days stay (very expensive with this kinda of service). Most importantly, my wife is ok and I take good care of her. Thanks god grace.

Lastly, I will be looking for TMC coz it is near my house( 1 bus stop away). Although, I have booked a doctor at KKH, I would like to make a cancellation.

Above are incident happened a yr ago but yet today still hear bad comments of our hospital. With the higher medication cost but non-professional service.
    slamming session... haha...

well, been on both side of your situation... i also find that well... both side got story to say lah...

Like when i am having my training at wards... really crazy sometimes... for eg...

7am to 3pm is morning shift, lets see... a typical ward setting is, morning bath and change bedsheet and stuff... so depending on ward setting, if mostly medical, still quite simple, can ask them to go take a shower while you clean up, they can take their med themselves... imagine those with patients on bed can't move kind, have to clean them on bed, need 2 staff to help. Serve breakfast... blah blah blah... doctor's round, then follow doctor... etc... then do dressing, etc... after that write report... alot of documentation to do...

2pm to 9pm is afternoon shift, also got alot to do and follow up... still got admission, test, etc...

so on & so forth...

but on the other side of the receiving end...

Well, i still dunno y its so much diff between govt & pte hospital... like how most respond in govt, some really quite rude... and most in pte are very polite... the rudest shock i have is when i wake up in TTSH 1 morning, 1 whole bunch of trainee and a doc was crowding around me, then never say hi or something, then say what my condition, then what problem, etc, then move off... just like that... so rude... if not for A&E... i won't even go in...

well, there are bad eggs in every sector... just sometimes suay to meet them when you suay, and start to pray you meet an angel lor...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by skopio View Post
    wake up? since when do singaporeans wake up? even after major incidents, its back to the usual stuff after a few months.

sorry, reality hits home. we are a pragmatic society.
    Pragmatic? Apathetic u mean??
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    slamming session... haha...

well, been on both side of your situation... i also find that well... both side got story to say lah...

Like when i am having my training at wards... really crazy sometimes... for eg...

7am to 3pm is morning shift, lets see... a typical ward setting is, morning bath and change bedsheet and stuff... so depending on ward setting, if mostly medical, still quite simple, can ask them to go take a shower while you clean up, they can take their med themselves... imagine those with patients on bed can't move kind, have to clean them on bed, need 2 staff to help. Serve breakfast... blah blah blah... doctor's round, then follow doctor... etc... then do dressing, etc... after that write report... alot of documentation to do...

2pm to 9pm is afternoon shift, also got alot to do and follow up... still got admission, test, etc...

so on & so forth...

but on the other side of the receiving end...

Well, i still dunno y its so much diff between govt & pte hospital... like how most respond in govt, some really quite rude... and most in pte are very polite... the rudest shock i have is when i wake up in TTSH 1 morning, 1 whole bunch of trainee and a doc was crowding around me, then never say hi or something, then say what my condition, then what problem, etc, then move off... just like that... so rude... if not for A&E... i won't even go in...

well, there are bad eggs in every sector... just sometimes suay to meet them when you suay, and start to pray you meet an angel lor...
    This is not a suay or not suay matter It should be a standard practice, since we are claiming to be WCS. The management are trained professionally and how much $ spent in training their staff but performed inconstitence?

This is not a suay or not suay matter It should be a standard practice, since we are claiming to be WCS. The management are trained professionally and how much $ spent in training their staff but performed inconstitence?
    There was once a story of this particular family; the father was a drug addict who abused his wife and 2 sons daily, beating them up regularly. They lived very miserable lives.

When the 2 sons in this family grew up, one became a successful businessman. He had contacts all around the world, and he built up an empire which was untouchable.

The other became a drug addict.

A reporter chanced upon this story and interviewed the 2 brothers after hunting them down; the businessman was asked about his secret to success and he replied: Oh, I saw my father, and I vowed never to be like that.

The drug addict son was asked about why he chose this path, and he replied: What to do, I have this kind of father.

To cut the point short, you can have the same type of training. But different people will bring away different things, and the system can never control the quality output of PEOPLE. Products, maybe. But people are not products.

you can train, but its hard to change their mindset...

sometimes i find it extremely funny... esp in 1 hospital environment... you see staff in Class C & Class A is world different...

esp when i was trained in a pte hospital for my 1st few years... then go to a restructured C class, a total culture shock... patients tell me, you are extremely different from the staff here... ya know, they dun do dressing like you, theirs is just 1 swipe, can feel yours really detailed, they don't care... blah blah blah... some say, eh i haven bathe today (afternoon shift) then i bring them to bathe... or no dressing done yet... etc... well, not to badmouth them... but sometimes really shake head... i've also complaint about wards when i was posted there, lecturers come to mediate... yet dun see any improvements... anyway, just there for few weeks... move on lor... lucky i not in doing that line, else i think i'll get killed for all the pro patient spoil market acts.

but still, people like me dun even wanna do, mean only small amount left... if we still complain, they also go, then who else to take care of you guys when you are sick? be contented lor... sometimes explain why you feel frustrated instead of telling people you are frustrated...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by GDSNP View Post
    Pragmatic? Apathetic u mean??
    Yup, that is the word.

Blog Entries

The second days afternoon, I decided to change room because I of the Indian patient was very noise, she keep making call and her telephone ring from time to time and during midnite make call till 2 am. I really can't stand thus approached the staff to requsted for a bed to be changed. However, the staff give a lot of negative reply. ( eg. The bed all are planned according to schedule. if you change to another room, you till this problem, so n so.). I want my wife to have a good rest thus I used the golden word 'Please' again and again in a very low tone and at last she agreed but say only can change only one time. I agreed. My wife was satified with the room. However, we wait and wait for our drinking water to be taken into the new bed, but it was't almost half an hour and I have to go back to the old bed and get it myself. The name tag and information tag was not shift to her new bed, until my wife discharged yesterday, the name of other patient is still there. what are the staff doing...very busy meh. I notices that most of the bed was not occupied( 6 beded). Some room only 1 patient.

This is a case of damn if you do and damn if you don't.

The question is did you get a change? yes and yet you are not happy and still complaint - action taken by staff still got complaint if no action taken also complaint.

To you, changing a room is a simple task of moving over.

Simple logic will tell one that it is not such an easy task. One has to ensure the whole system is updated the other shift knows of the change etc. because medicine, treatment etc is to be given to Bed xx and now it is not bed xx but bed yy. And imagine if another patient move over to bed xx etc etc and confusion start and wrong treatment and medicine goes to the wrong patient bec she/he moves the bed ... then more complaint etc etc...

More importantly a change was made despite of the challenges and the sad fact is that their effort in explaining is taken in a negative light ie "negative reply". What is sadder is that even the drinking water is expected to be carried over within 1/2 hour, though you can do it yourself as proven.

Perhaps it is the mindset of the patient that need to change ie. going into a hospital expecting to be treated with 24/7 with 100% personalize care.

During my admission few weeks ago I waited more than 45mins for the pre-ops examination and I was rather agitated cos I perceived that the staff was "that busy meh" and then my wife reminded me that perhaps I should put myself in the shoes of the staff and be more understanding. Because the mindset of the ppl going to the hospital is like a snake ready to strike at the staff for every discomfort and mistakes. And under scuh condition who would want to work in the hospital? That awoken me and my subsequent stay was very pleasant cos respect was given and also returned many times. My total cost of my stay was over $3000(include CPF medisave) and no regrets.
    Last edited by chngpe01; 12th July 2007 at 11:40 AM.

To cut the point short, you can have the same type of training. But different people will bring away different things, and the system can never control the quality output of PEOPLE. Products, maybe. But people are not products.[/QUOTE]

Rule and Regulation has to be enforced...If the quality output of people is not up to a company requirements and cannot follow instruction...ask them to bye bye lor!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast