Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

Quote Originally Posted by strangelight View Post
    None of us know the full story as yet. Perhaps we never will.

BUT the bureaucracy stinks to high heaven. Meeting 'quotas', and not opening offices because of 'offical' hours. We are talking human life here not a HDB flat.
    Also building blood stock that MAY or MIGHT be needed for other serious cases is not an excuse. Here the patient MUST have the blood. And its not like the Blood Bank's larder is empty.

Unfortunately we have many automatons in our civil service. Never use your descretion or initiative just follow your book of rules and bloody regulations and your arse will always be as smooth as a baby's.

A few months ago I assisted an elderly man (a stranger) who had slipped and struck his head on the pavement causing serious bleeding. Accompanied him to NUH A&E in the ambulance and whilst there I was asked to give my personal particulars in case the hospital needed to contact me. I asked if I or a hospital staff can use his handphone to contact his next of kin. Had a shouting match with the receptionist before she conceded. Contacted his family and I left when they arrived. The reason for not letting me use his h/p - as I was not related I may make off with it. Had to make the braindead receptionist understand that I was the one who called for the ambulance, accompanied the man and anyway the hospital had all my contactable details.

The sad thing is despite our rantings and ravings we allow these incompentences to go on. Tomorrow it might jolly well be one of us or our families.
    There are GOONDUs in every organisation. That cannot be helped. But then talking to GOONDus can also cause YOUR heart to have seizures too...

Those OFFICIALDOMS are all GOONDUs. Cannot use brain to think out of the box. DIE also follow things "in the box".

This case clearly shows that the Blood Bank staff DO NOT know how to service people and to them, better be safe. MUST follow rules. CANNOT do extra, otherwise boss scold ....
    duh ...

A few months ago I assisted an elderly man (a stranger) who had slipped and struck his head on the pavement causing serious bleeding. Accompanied him to NUH A&E in the ambulance and whilst there I was asked to give my personal particulars in case the hospital needed to contact me. I asked if I or a hospital staff can use his handphone to contact his next of kin. Had a shouting match with the receptionist before she conceded. Contacted his family and I left when they arrived. The reason for not letting me use his h/p - as I was not related I may make off with it. Had to make the braindead receptionist understand that I was the one who called for the ambulance, accompanied the man and anyway the hospital had all my contactable details.
    you are lucky they did not call security...

BUT the bureaucracy stinks to high heaven. Meeting 'quotas', and not opening offices because of 'offical' hours. We are talking human life here not a HDB flat.
    Also building blood stock that MAY or MIGHT be needed for other serious cases is not an excuse. Here the patient MUST have the blood. And its not like the Blood Bank's larder is empty.

Unfortunately we have many automatons in our civil service. Never use your descretion or initiative just follow your book of rules and bloody regulations and your arse will always be as smooth as a baby's.

The sad thing is despite our rantings and ravings we allow these incompentences to go on. Tomorrow it might jolly well be one of us or our families.
    the sad thing is... despite our govt's efforts to make spore a medical hub.. we are never quite there.. cos of the inflexibility of the people involved...

I am sure alot of us have read the forum page in ST before about complaints on our medical services etc etc.. it makes me shudder to think about it..

the cna report gives a balanced view.. but i am still hopeful that they will make a comment about their refusal to open the doors before the opening hours (10 mins before that I think)

There are indeed not enough blonds in the SG Hospitals.

Pls bring in some Swedish and Danish nurse.
    Last edited by Loupisk; 11th July 2007 at 05:09 PM.
    Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    There are GOONDUs in every organisation. That cannot be helped. But then talking to GOONDus can also cause YOUR heart to have seizures too...

Those OFFICIALDOMS are all GOONDUs. Cannot use brain to think out of the box. DIE also follow things "in the box".

This case clearly shows that the Blood Bank staff DO NOT know how to service people and to them, better be safe. MUST follow rules. CANNOT do extra, otherwise boss scold ....
    duh ...
    Will do u it if you are them???

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    Will do u it if you are them???
    Yes Why not?

There are so many assumptions being made about the case, but has anybody really paused to think whether event number 1 (Doors not opening shortly before opening time) led to event number 2 (Patient died)?

Assumption 1:
    Patient died because she did not receive the necessary blood products. (Unknown)

She was in DIVC, a critical condition that sometimes is not reversible.

Assumption 2:
    She was denied the blood products that she needed. (Unknown)

This is the relatives point of view. In the heat of battle some mis-coms can occur. I'm not saying this did not happen, but HSA has said it is not the case.

Assumption 3:
    Release of blood products contingent on relatives contributing blood. (Unknown, HSA says not)

HSA says not

Assumption 4:
    10 minutes delay in door opening contributed to delay in her getting blood.

See above.

You see, how easy it is to join imaginary dots?

The fact is, day in, day out, there are patients needing emergency blood. As you are sitting down for dinner this evening, the medical personnel at the Accident and Emergency, Operating theatres around Singapore are preparing for the evening surge of emergency cases. Tonight there will be someone who needs an emergency brain surgery, someone who has a complicated delivery, someone who has a knife wound, someone in a car accident. The hospital staff and folk in the blood bank just go about their business in getting the job done, far away from all the ignorant masses just waiting to slay them for every little misstep. Things work well most of the time, don't our guys deserve a little benefit of the doubt?

Mmmm thinking from the other side of the fence. Why is it so wrong to question? Seems that there is a school of thought that is we must accept everything the state regulated media tells us and not think otherwise. Making assumptions is not right but asking for accountability is that wrong? Or are we to just keep mum about everything as the govt is always right?

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    Mmmm thinking from the other side of the fence. Why is it so wrong to question? Seems that there is a school of thought that is we must accept everything the state regulated media tells us and not think otherwise. Making assumptions is not right but asking for accountability is that wrong? Or are we to just keep mum about everything as the govt is always right?
    No way I'm saying the govt (or HSA for that matter) is definitely right. Weigh the facts, understand the scenario from both sides, ask the right questions. Speculative questions in a vacuum of understanding is worthless.

I burst out crying when I saw the news...!!

Reminds me of :

Some time ago, a friend got bitten on the leg by a stray dog and his leg is bleeding non-stop, we quickly brought him to the nearest Ra$$les Clinic @ Yishun, I knocked onto the glass door and called the assistant (loudly), the door remained shut as it was not 6pm yet, about 5.30plus). She totally IGNORED ME!!!!

I have to bring my friend and he has "LIMPed" to another clinic..(after seraching for another 10 mins). Blood still flowing..

The other clinic (packed), ..took my friend Ic and say "wait for your number, doctor not in yet" (blood still flowing) and when I told her of the possibilities of wound infections, they then "wake-up" and usher my friend into the room.....we waited....and waited..., cos they were looking for the gauze and disinfecting lotion... OMG.....!!!

Izzit clinic a medical outlet to save pple?

Quote Originally Posted by LOTUSfairy View Post
    I burst out crying when I saw the news...!!

Reminds me of :

Some time ago, a friend got bitten on the leg by a stray dog and his leg is bleeding non-stop, we quickly brought him to the nearest Ra$$les Clinic @ Yishun, I knocked onto the glass door and called the assistant (loudly), the door remained shut as it was not 6pm yet, about 5.30plus). She totally IGNORED ME!!!!

I have to bring my friend and he has "LIMPed" to another clinic..(after seraching for another 10 mins). Blood still flowing..

The other clinic (packed), ..took my friend Ic and say "wait for your number, doctor not in yet" (blood still flowing) and when I told her of the possibilities of wound infections, they then "wake-up" and usher my friend into the room.....we waited....and waited..., cos they were looking for the gauze and disinfecting lotion... OMG.....!!!

Izzit clinic a medical outlet to save pple?

You lucky you are in Singapore, you can move from one clinic to another in a short sapce of time, and the second clinic has some stuff to treat you. Try repeating the scenario in a major North American city, or a town in developing asian country, lets see how far you get and how much it would cost you.

Quote Originally Posted by leejay View Post
    Yeah, I saw on the 10pm news last night. I felt very sad as I saw the husband's anger and grief.

If I am a billionaire, I'll sue them until they really go and sell blood to pay for their lawyers.
    wah... sell blood to pay for the lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    like my 1st post say... Do monthly donation...
    Bro, can't do monthly donation. HSA will only let one donate every 12 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by westwest2 View Post
    you are lucky they did not call security...
    Why would 'they' call the security? For doing what is rightfully the hospital's job for them? Would have been bad publicity for the hospital if I had decided to write to the press about it. That's what made the receptionist get the h/p:-)

Anyhow, there were some policemen there (on some other case) and they didn't find it neccessary to confront me. Two actually smiled and nodded when I left. I imagine they too knew things were not right but were in no position to help.

Picture this. An old man, old enough to be my father or even my grandfather, is laid out in a hospital way past midnight. His next of kin would have been worried sick as to his whereabouts. The sooner they know the better. Saves them 'running around' time as well.

Sometimes standing up for what you believe in can be difficult but if everyone does it every so often it will keep the guilty parties on their toes. Why do you think we have so many fines here?:-)

Reminds me of an anecdote of a boy throwing stranded starfish at low tide back into the sea. When some asked what difference it was going to make as there were hundreds of stranded starfish. The boy replied 'it makes a difference to this one' as he threw it back into the sea.

This is sad and truly sad. My sincere condolences to the family and friends of this poor lady.

On 7.07.07, there were lots of deliveries in all hospitals. In one such hospital, one of the mothers has juz delivered a full term baby by caesarean operation. Whilst waiting in the recovery room within the operating theatre, she was noticed to be pale and her blood pressure was not recordable. She was immediately resuscitated and received 50+ bags of blood. She was saved but had to have her womb removed because the bleeding would not stop. Her relatives were told to top up blood after that.

Juz wonder how unfair this world is. No one went to thank the blood donors and the blood bank for supplying and working overtime to make sure that the proper blood is matched and given to the patient. No one even bothered to donate blood regularly because such disasters happen from time to time.

Sometimes I feel that we are like a frog in a well. We try to interpret what we can see and make a summary judgement on it. Most of the time we might be right but don't you think that sometimes we can be wrong?

Why would 'they' call the security? For doing what is rightfully the hospital's job for them? Would have been bad publicity for the hospital if I had decided to write to the press about it. That's what made the receptionist get the h/p:-)

Anyhow, there were some policemen there (on some other case) and they didn't find it neccessary to confront me. Two actually smiled and nodded when I left. I imagine they too knew things were not right but were in no position to help.

Picture this. An old man, old enough to be my father or even my grandfather, is laid out in a hospital way past midnight. His next of kin would have been worried sick as to his whereabouts. The sooner they know the better. Saves them 'running around' time as well.

Sometimes standing up for what you believe in can be difficult but if everyone does it every so often it will keep the guilty parties on their toes. Why do you think we have so many fines here?:-)

Reminds me of an anecdote of a boy throwing stranded starfish at low tide back into the sea. When some asked what difference it was going to make as there were hundreds of stranded starfish. The boy replied 'it makes a difference to this one' as he threw it back into the sea.

its because you are making a unwanted behaviour in the hosp my friend...even you done a great deed...it does not entitle you to be rude to people...its sad to know that people think so highly of themselve after doing a great deed...if thats the case...

Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post
    You lucky you are in Singapore, you can move from one clinic to another in a short sapce of time, and the second clinic has some stuff to treat you. Try repeating the scenario in a major North American city, or a town in developing asian country, lets see how far you get and how much it would cost you.
    why bring up american or other countries? she is talking abt singapore.. so stick to singapore. with so many clinics within hopping distance and yet they don;t help u. is that good?

there is another way out in this situation, get the receptionist to make the call lor, since the issue here is that they are afraid you might run away with the h/p.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

how hard i want this thread to be in chinese one..enlish thing so long..very hard to read leh...............................by the way i donate blood every half year.
    Yes, Tough I am.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    I have already said my piece, am not going to continue this because frankly, quoting selectively instead of reading everything I have written simply to satisfy your justification of your view of the incident, i.e. using someone who disagrees with your view as a punching bag, I am not born to do that, as my mother would tell you.

Out of here.

Read what I said again, along with the scenarios and reasoning. Will not post here anymore, so you can quote and make merry with whatever I have written, I do not care. So long as one person thinks a little of what I have said, in my view my work is done here. Cheers!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast