Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

Default Re: Do we have enough blood in our hospitals?

Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    I think the public will definitely respond better to this report than what's reported on the TV.

But i still want my relatives and frens on standby!
    and take note of the opening hours.

Quote Originally Posted by furball View Post
    http://www.donorweb.org/bloodstocks

The blood bank has been appealing for donations all year long, but how many people donate blood regularly ? Give it some thought. If more Singaporeans answer the call, wouldnt it make things better ?
    like my 1st post say... Do monthly donation...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...287449/1/.html

Very interesting sanitized report...

Well state controlled media, what do you expect..... everything swept under the door.....

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    like my 1st post say... Do monthly donation...
    Maybe should have a personal account, like a saving account. Donate blood per month to my own account and if needed, no need to depend on others.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    Maybe should have a personal account, like a saving account. Donate blood per month to my own account and if needed, no need to depend on others.
    better still, cultivate your own rite... then can earn interest... then they take your blood to lend people, you can earn interest rates... owe blood return blood...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I can't donate blood

I can't donate blood
    I got no time to donate... haha...

open on sunday?

Always got misfortune when i go donate blood 1... end up never donate... hahahahaha...

1st time, no consent form from parents...
    2nd time, think underweight or something... forget whats the main issue...
    3rd time, wisdom tooth extraction 6 months within cannot...

suayz...

Quote Originally Posted by Will03 View Post
    i guess what the husband was most unhappy about is not so much on the quota.. but the fact that after he had gathered his relatives.. the staff refused to open the door.. cos its not the opening hours yet.........

in an emergency... what is of importance to the hospital staff.. it seems.. is to stick by the operating hours.. and not be flexible enuff to weigh the importance of the whole situation...

regardless if the wife could be saved by the blood transfusion or not.. we need to question... in an emergency... should we be so rigid ? I would like to see what the relevant authorities / parties have to say about this...
    Yes.....this I agreed with you.....think the husband is definitely piss with the fact that the staff refuse to open the door......it could be that if the staff open the door for them, his wife could stand a chance of surviving instead of the fact now. Definitely can understand his kind of feeling.....Imena if all the possible things have been done and yet it still fail, then really not choice but to accept it.....but now the case is there might be a chance but some kuku purposely hinder path to take the chance....hope someone would be answerable to this case as I don't feel that it is just acceptable in this case. Maybe the staff who refuse to open the door will have to answer for it....

With so much said by so many, let's wait for the Coroner's Report to surface the facts. Otherwise, it is meaningless to comment based on lack of information orbased on hear-say.

Quote Originally Posted by wazzup View Post
    So? You want a plague of honourable mentioning of how great and just you are?
    Cor....you're funny. You anyhow hantam and suddenly I'm the one with the problem.

Play fair a bit lah, wait for both sides to speak, can or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    Yes, u can have an autologous blood donation. Usually, ppl with rare blood type will donate his own blood for storage and use on himself should a situation arises when he needs the blood which is very difficult to find among the population.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    I got no time to donate... haha...

open on sunday?

Always got misfortune when i go donate blood 1... end up never donate... hahahahaha...

1st time, no consent form from parents...
    2nd time, think underweight or something... forget whats the main issue...
    3rd time, wisdom tooth extraction 6 months within cannot...

suayz...
    Opening Hours

Tuesday to Thursday 9 am - 6.30 pm
    Friday 9 am - 8 pm
    Saturday 9 am - 4.30 pm
    Sunday 9 am - 2 pm
    Monday & Public Holidays Closed

hope i don't get slammed for saying this... it is everytime when something really bad happened then we (singaporeans) start to react, or act. i do see the 'please donate blood' ads everywhere... but i am guilty of not donating blood. they need 300 people donating EVERYDAY.. makes me think if i should just stop being lazy and just go blood bank this weekend.

i feel bad for this woman as it is most unfortunate ... though fortunately her twins survived.
    R.I.P ....

the cause for the woman's death isn't 100% confirmed.. is there any actual autopsy report? and yeah the hospital.. they could be wrong because they are so inflexible... yet they have to stick to their rules... but i'm amazed the deceased's hubby can gather TWO HUNDRED RELATIVES with same blood grp at such short notice

let's see what the hospital says. as usual.
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

You don't need to be the same blood group to donate/receive blood.
    See here for more info.
    O- is the best blood to be a donor.

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    You don't need to be the same blood group to donate/receive blood.
    See here for more info.
    O- is the best blood to be a donor.
    O can give everyone else, but they can only receive from O
    AB is the most 'selfish', can only give to AB but can receive from anyone and everyone
    A can give to A & AB
    B can give to B & AB

thats about it i think.
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    Yes, u can have an autologous blood donation. Usually, ppl with rare blood type will donate his own blood for storage and use on himself should a situation arises when he needs the blood which is very difficult to find among the population.
    to a limited extend only....as previously mentioned, bld has a shelf life, abt 120 days ...
    platlets has a even shorter self life.
    frozen plasma can be kept for a longer period

Autologous transfusion is only feasible for planned, elective surgery. Certainly you can't keep blood indefinately for yourself. Doesnt work in an emergency situation either.
    Last edited by reactan; 11th July 2007 at 04:30 PM.

None of us know the full story as yet. Perhaps we never will.

BUT the bureaucracy stinks to high heaven. Meeting 'quotas', and not opening offices because of 'offical' hours. We are talking human life here not a HDB flat.
    Also building blood stock that MAY or MIGHT be needed for other serious cases is not an excuse. Here the patient MUST have the blood. And its not like the Blood Bank's larder is empty.

Unfortunately we have many automatons in our civil service. Never use your descretion or initiative just follow your book of rules and bloody regulations and your arse will always be as smooth as a baby's.

A few months ago I assisted an elderly man (a stranger) who had slipped and struck his head on the pavement causing serious bleeding. Accompanied him to NUH A&E in the ambulance and whilst there I was asked to give my personal particulars in case the hospital needed to contact me. I asked if I or a hospital staff can use his handphone to contact his next of kin. Had a shouting match with the receptionist before she conceded. Contacted his family and I left when they arrived. The reason for not letting me use his h/p - as I was not related I may make off with it. Had to make the braindead receptionist understand that I was the one who called for the ambulance, accompanied the man and anyway the hospital had all my contactable details.

The sad thing is despite our rantings and ravings we allow these incompentences to go on. Tomorrow it might jolly well be one of us or our families.

Opening Hours

Tuesday to Thursday 9 am - 6.30 pm
    Friday 9 am - 8 pm
    Saturday 9 am - 4.30 pm
    Sunday 9 am - 2 pm
    Monday & Public Holidays Closed
    Pity the ppl who really need blood on Monday and PHs. SURE Die liao.

Account Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by furball View Post
    http://www.donorweb.org/bloodstocks

The blood bank has been appealing for donations all year long, but how many people donate blood regularly ? Give it some thought. If more Singaporeans answer the call, wouldnt it make things better ?
    Who would do it until they themselves hit the same problem? I would love to donate of course, I do it regularly back in the daze of poly where time is on my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post
    Cor....you're funny. You anyhow hantam and suddenly I'm the one with the problem.

Play fair a bit lah, wait for both sides to speak, can or not?
    Ok oK, my bad, we'll wait and see then

I am sure the hospital has some spare some where some how...
    I think hers is an extreme case. But then if u are so worried, then go have relatives and frens on standby!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast