Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Victory Monument

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bt. Merah
    Posts
    161

    Default Victory Monument

    This is my fourth attempt to capture this monument in Bangkok. I'm trying to emphasise on the tower against the dramatic sky The sky was changing fast and I manage to take this shot right before a heavy down pour. I've tried numerous times on previous trips but the skies always shows up as blanks.The rain came and go so quickly and the human traffic along the walk way makes it impossible to setup my tripod. This shot was taken in RAW. Only a boost in saturation in LR and converted to jpeg in CS2. Your comments pls. Thanks

    Exif:

    Iso: 800
    FL:32mm
    f-stop:f6.3
    shutter: 1/25sec


    Last edited by Scuderia; 10th July 2007 at 10:43 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Victory Monument

    If you are looking to emphasize the tower and skies...

    I would suggest using your 5D at 17mm, do a shot from bottom up near the foot of the tower.

    The cars spoil the shot. Either capture them still or do a long exposure to get steaks of light...
    Last edited by XC Pictorial; 10th July 2007 at 10:39 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Victory Monument

    If it's a dramatic, moody effect that's needed, then yes, the cars spoiled the shot.
    But if you want that cosmopolitan, city hustle-and-bustle feel, then the cars should be in.

    The cloud pattern is intriguing. Not sure if you really needed to shoot at f/6.3? Maybe you could still have reached a hyperfocal focussing distance, and the monument still in the DOF, with larger apertures so you could minimise blur from handshake or use a lower ISO?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bt. Merah
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Victory Monument

    Thanks for the comments XC. I also wished that I could shoot at 17mm. But forgot to bring that lens But frankly, I've got no time to cross the road to the foot of the tower. The heavy rain came in less than 10 mins after I came out of the BTS station. I would really want to try shooting from the foot of the tower with that sky if given the chance again. Tried the cars streaks, failed: no tripod= hand shake. Maybe next time will try stopping them instead. Will keep learning. Thanks

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bt. Merah
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Victory Monument

    Quote Originally Posted by cjtune View Post
    If it's a dramatic, moody effect that's needed, then yes, the cars spoiled the shot.
    But if you want that cosmopolitan, city hustle-and-bustle feel, then the cars should be in.

    The cloud pattern is intriguing. Not sure if you really needed to shoot at f/6.3? Maybe you could still have reached a hyperfocal focussing distance, and the monument still in the DOF, with larger apertures so you could minimise blur from handshake or use a lower ISO?
    Thanks for the comments cjtune. I've tried to increase the shutter sp by boosting my iso to 800 as my max aperture was only f4. But my lens was not up to the job at wide open. Corner softness is unbearable. Are you recommending that I lower the iso because its too noisy?
    Last edited by Scuderia; 10th July 2007 at 11:07 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Victory Monument

    Quote Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
    Thanks for the comments cjtune. I've tried to increase the shutter sp by boosting my iso to 800 as my max aperture was only f4. But my lens was not up to the job at wide open. Corner softness is unbearable. Are you recommending that I lower the iso because its too noisy?
    Nah, your ISO 800 shot is quite good. It's a Canon...
    BTW, I meant wider aperture for that focal length, no need to go wider angle.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Victory Monument

    Quote Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
    Thanks for the comments XC. I also wished that I could shoot at 17mm. But forgot to bring that lens But frankly, I've got no time to cross the road to the foot of the tower. The heavy rain came in less than 10 mins after I came out of the BTS station. I would really want to try shooting from the foot of the tower with that sky if given the chance again. Tried the cars streaks, failed: no tripod= hand shake. Maybe next time will try stopping them instead. Will keep learning. Thanks
    Try to have a monopod when you travel

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bt. Merah
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Victory Monument

    Quote Originally Posted by cjtune View Post
    Nah, your ISO 800 shot is quite good. It's a Canon...
    BTW, I meant wider aperture for that focal length, no need to go wider angle.
    Point noted. Thanks
    Last edited by Scuderia; 11th July 2007 at 05:00 PM.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bt. Merah
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Victory Monument

    Quote Originally Posted by XC Pictorial View Post
    Try to have a monopod when you travel
    Thanks for the tips

  10. #10

    Default Re: Victory Monument

    Not really a critique. It's admirable effort for persisting to get the "right" picture by revisiting the same location.
    "...not taking what one doesn't desire is the hardest thing in the world" - Albert Camus

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bt. Merah
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Victory Monument

    Quote Originally Posted by centurion_sg View Post
    Not really a critique. It's admirable effort for persisting to get the "right" picture by revisiting the same location.
    Thanks a lot centurion_sg! That's one good encouragement for me to try again. The first time I took a shot of this monument was 2 years ago.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •