Thread: How do you protect the rubber parts of your camera / lenses?

Default How do you protect the rubber parts of your camera / lenses?

Hi, i am new here.

I am wondering how do you keep the rubber part of your camera (the grip) and lense (the zoom and focusing ring) always in mint condition? Do you use damped cloth or some specific chemical?

I know we should not use silicone as it makes the rubber looks nice but slippery.

any input?

thanx

Default Re: How do you protect the rubber parts of your camera / lenses?

Gaffer it up!!
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

I just use a damp cloth to do a wipe-down twice, let them all (Lenses & camera(s)) air dry before keeping them back into the dry cabi. Been doing this for years and the rubber parts are looking as good as new!

Quote Originally Posted by ipin View Post
    I just use a damp cloth to do a wipe-down twice, let them all (Lenses & camera(s)) air dry before keeping them back into the dry cabi. Been doing this for years and the rubber parts are looking as good as new!
    I agree, since wiping it down will remove pespiration, sea spray, dust etc that can dry and crack the rubber. Also, keeping it in a dry-cab of the correct humidity will help.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

i use wet tissue to clean the rubber portion

Quote Originally Posted by luisanthony View Post
    Hi, i am new here.

I am wondering how do you keep the rubber part of your camera (the grip) and lense (the zoom and focusing ring) always in mint condition? Do you use damped cloth or some specific chemical?

I know we should not use silicone as it makes the rubber looks nice but slippery.

any input?

thanx
    Keep it in the dry box/cabi and never take it out will guarantee you that the rubber parts of your camera pristine.

There is a side benefit or cost, you won't be able to use your camera, and improve your photography skill.

Worry less, use and enjoy photoraphy, unless you are merely into the equipment and not photography.

Ok ok, if you really must, gaffer them. I do gaffer some part of my camera, particularily parts of the camera in contact with my hand.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio