Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?

  1. #1

    Question What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?

    Hi all brother & sister I'm a newbe 1 2 take some photo of the NDP firework can anyone share what is the best ISO,speed & aperture to use ? Thanks in adv

  2. #2

    Default Re: What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?

    ISO 100, infinity, 30 sec guess should be good enough

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    2,567

    Default Re: What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?

    eh... half right.

    Actually, the best method is bulb mode and you go by intuition on how long to expose your shots for.

  4. #4

    Default Re: What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Die Hard View Post
    Hi all brother & sister I'm a newbe 1 2 take some photo of the NDP firework can anyone share what is the best ISO,speed & aperture to use ? Thanks in adv
    f22, ISO100, Bulb mode...

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?

    here is an advice.
    firstly look and what lens you are going to use?
    my guess is kit lens
    then go for F22, iso 100, timing above 20secs.
    timing is really up your creativity,
    using bulb, you still to have a time more then 15sec(not easy to count and watch the fireworks at same time)
    set 20secs or best set 30secs, result may vary with different lens.
    what you need to worry is if you are sitthing in the stands, is your lens wide enough, from what i have seen, the height range this year is quite big.
    good luck and happy shooting.
    Member of the earth

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Land of the Teddy Bear
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?

    iso 100 or lower, bulb mode and f11-16. depending what kinda fireworks it is. if it's spams, then holding too long will have overexposed fireworks and a whole chuck of overlaying fireworks which will look messy -.-

  7. #7

    Default Re: What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?

    There is no best fixed settings.

    Before the fireworks start, try some test shots
    - 2 sec exposure ( for short burst fireworks )
    - between 3 to 10 ( for longer burst fireworks )
    and check which aperture value give a better ambient exposure


    Recommended setup settings:
    - lowest ISO
    - Aperture , f8 or smaller ( get from above testing )
    - Use Bulb mode for Shutter Speed , manually control depend on the burst type
    - Tripod
    - Release Cable
    - Lens hood (optional)
    - Hot-shoe Spirit Level (good to have as unable to see the horizon during night time)
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  8. #8

    Default Re: What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?

    Wah so many brother & sister have get me the setting thanks alot. So the best aperture will between f8/f11 & speed at bulb about 2 to 10 sec depend how long the expo is. I will try it out this sat for the NDP rehearse. Thank alot again it really help

  9. #9

    Default Re: What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?

    Quote Originally Posted by GilbertGoh View Post
    here is an advice.
    firstly look and what lens you are going to use?
    my guess is kit lens
    then go for F22, iso 100, timing above 20secs.
    timing is really up your creativity,
    using bulb, you still to have a time more then 15sec(not easy to count and watch the fireworks at same time)
    set 20secs or best set 30secs, result may vary with different lens.
    what you need to worry is if you are sitthing in the stands, is your lens wide enough, from what i have seen, the height range this year is quite big.
    good luck and happy shooting.
    Thanks good advice . Im using a 17-55mm f2.8 just got it so do I follow your setting ?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?

    Depends on what effects u want to achieve. For me personally i use ISO100, f/11 onwards and expose around 4 - 8 secs. Smaller apertures give u a slicker fireworks trail while larger ones are thicker.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  11. #11
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?







    S'pore Art thingy at the Pandan......

  12. #12

    Default Re: What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?

    S'pore Art thingy at the Pandan......[/QUOTE]

    Wah very nice lei

  13. #13

    Default Re: What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Depends on what effects u want to achieve. For me personally i use ISO100, f/11 onwards and expose around 4 - 8 secs. Smaller apertures give u a slicker fireworks trail while larger ones are thicker.
    OK. Noted thanks alot brother Will note down all advice Many thanks to all

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Die Hard View Post
    OK. Noted thanks alot brother Will note down all advice Many thanks to all
    U're most welcome bro. U can try taking fireworks on National Day and the previews.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  15. #15

    Default Re: What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    There is no best fixed settings.

    Before the fireworks start, try some test shots
    - 2 sec exposure ( for short burst fireworks )
    - between 3 to 10 ( for longer burst fireworks )
    and check which aperture value give a better ambient exposure


    Recommended setup settings:
    - lowest ISO
    - Aperture , f8 or smaller ( get from above testing )
    - Use Bulb mode for Shutter Speed , manually control depend on the burst type
    - Tripod
    - Release Cable
    - Lens hood (optional)
    - Hot-shoe Spirit Level (good to have as unable to see the horizon during night time)
    Great advice. To TS, consider adding a black card to the setup also.

  16. #16

    Default Re: What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?

    every year ard dis time, dis kinda post will be appearing again. haha.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: What speed , aperture & ISO you use to shot firework ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cjyong View Post
    every year ard dis time, dis kinda post will be appearing again. haha.
    Yeah, especially during National Day and SFF period.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •