Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Some food to share

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Gim Boon Tai
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Some food to share

    Hi folks,

    Did a simple collaboration with fellow CSer Dream Merchat. Some results to share.
    C&C welcome

    1.


    2.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

  2. #2

    Default Re: Some food to share

    First and most important thing about food photography is you cannot smell, touch and taste food photos.

    So how do you go about making the food look great and appealing to audiences?

    As for your photos, both of them lack the ability to entice food lovers. Photos are relatively quite dark. The props used does not really compliment with the main food dish. Lighting usage is poor. You could try vertical shot as well as it does not always necessary have to be horizontal. Sometimes cropping away some stuffs will look better as it will bring your eyes towards the food rather than the whole.

    Using a slightly shallow depth will help as well. Keep it simple is always the best. Too much props sometimes just kills the overall settings.

    Try again.
    Last edited by Godzilla Invades; 13th July 2007 at 10:05 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Some food to share

    Hi Splutter,

    Personally I find both pics a bit too dark and lighting very flat....

    I kind of cannot find the focus point (optical not compositional)...the entire open face sandwhich looks OOF to me and somehow I have a feeling that the set up is a Japanese location (sushi bamboo mat + sake bottle look a like) but the food is sandwhich.

    I like the 2nd pic more, simple and yet inviting, may be its the colour of the soup. But the front or lower bread being out of the DOF is abit distracting. I prefer the last bread to be out of the DOF then the front bread.

    Just my thinking though.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Some food to share

    Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    Hi Splutter,

    Personally I find both pics a bit too dark and lighting very flat....

    I kind of cannot find the focus point (optical not compositional)...the entire open face sandwhich looks OOF to me and somehow I have a feeling that the set up is a Japanese location (sushi bamboo mat + sake bottle look a like) but the food is sandwhich.

    I like the 2nd pic more, simple and yet inviting, may be its the colour of the soup. But the front or lower bread being out of the DOF is abit distracting. I prefer the last bread to be out of the DOF then the front bread.

    Just my thinking though.
    That is not a bamboo mat. It's just a texture mat cloth.

    And it's not a sake bottle. I think it's a pepper grinder.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Some food to share

    Yah, i understand they are not, dats why I say somehow I have this feeling....I also duno why, may be 2 "Japanese look a like" item gave me that feeling

    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    That is not a bamboo mat. It's just a texture mat cloth.

    And it's not a sake bottle. I think it's a pepper grinder.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Some food to share

    Ooooh i recognise that mat. $3.90 from Ikea. hahaha Also bought one. They can come in useful for food shots sometimes.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Some food to share

    Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    Yah, i understand they are not, dats why I say somehow I have this feeling....I also duno why, may be 2 "Japanese look a like" item gave me that feeling
    Actually I think the feel is more like from the restaurant "The Ship" or "Jack's Place"......hehe

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Some food to share

    Jack's place should have the signature white and green checkers... Country Mana may be

    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    Actually I think the feel is more like from the restaurant "The Ship" or "Jack's Place"......hehe

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •