Thread: Which Infra Red Filters to get?

Default Which Infra Red Filters to get?

I'm thinking of giving a try at IR photography with my digicam.. Which IR filter should I get? Hoya has R72 and RM90.. what's the diff in terms of effect and which is more suitable?

http://www.thkphoto.com/products/hoya/oef-15.html

The difference is in at which level they cut off. The R72 s'posingly cuts off at 720nanometers, but I'm not too sure, the RM90, 900nm?

Red goes all the way to 650nm +++. The R72 does provide more tonal range than the RM90 since the cut off is much lower.

As for which one to choose, you'll definitely want the R72 since it's $30 at Cathay Photo. The RM90 is around $150 and above. I'm not too sure on the exact pricing of the RM90.

RM90 is used more for seeing through fog and stuff like that. More of a "x-ray" effect, some may say. Using the RM90 filter, you can acutally "see through clothes" and see what's inside pockets... thin clothes and other materials only.

Originally posted by Nerd
    As for which one to choose, you'll definitely want the R72 since it's $30 at Cathay Photo.
    Which filter size is this? Thanks.

I got it for my A40, 52mm thread size.

Nerd, thanks for the info.. Guess I'll try looking for the R72 then.. since the RM90 is so ex..

i have got 58mm infra red filter for sony f707/717. email yeogi@singnet.com.sg for details.