Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: recommend filter or polarizer?

Default Re: recommend filter or polarizer?

Can CPL be used on landscape such as buildings or caves to get more saturated colors? Will there be vignetting if I were to stack a UV filter on top of the CPL?

Quote Originally Posted by Camm View Post
    Can CPL be used on landscape such as buildings or caves to get more saturated colors? Will there be vignetting if I were to stack a UV filter on top of the CPL?
    CPL only blocks reflections. I have used UV filter and the CPL sits on top with no vignetting. Must remember to get the thin type though ...

Quote Originally Posted by Camm View Post
    You can only get that effect if you have the sun in the right position as mentioned before. Doing that in a cave might be a challenge....
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    CPL only blocks reflections. I have used UV filter and the CPL sits on top with no vignetting. Must remember to get the thin type though ...
    Hmm..is the UV filter suppose to be on top of cpl or the other way round? Other than B&W, which other brand belongs to the thin type?

Best is not to have any filter besides the CPL on your lens. If you really, really want to have the UV filter on, then put the CPL on top of your UV filter. Beware of vignetting though.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

using polarizer on portrait with sky as background w/o flash, would the pic come out blue sky w/o the subject being dark?

Quote Originally Posted by foxxkat View Post
    okay i will try my hands on CPL first.
    any brand/model to recommend?
    have u gotten your cpl? i got a quick quote from ms color at abt 35 bucks.
    G

hi, will a CPL be usable on a lens which rotates when focusing?

Have a CPL and UV . using uv for protectin lens element along with a hood. Using B+W brand. Heard Heliopan is good too. Got slim type B+W filters for the wide ( have 28 -105 mm lens), but read later the slim is meant for really wide angle filters ( approx like 12~15 mm and below) and u cant attach a hood on them (atleast the B+W make slim )

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    1) CPL - circular polariser. Don't worry about the other type of polariser, I have NEVER seen it before, so just ask for a CPL when you get your stuff. This does two main things - reduce glare/reflection from non-metallic surfaces, and this first thing is therefore linked to the second - which saturates colours (due to cut off of glare) and increases contrasts in the sky wherever applicable.
    Another use...when attempting to snap photos through a reflective surface, such as a window. The reflected image on the glass can be filtered out by turning the polariser, such that only the light from the subject is captured.

Quote Originally Posted by benn8 View Post
    hi, will a CPL be usable on a lens which rotates when focusing?
    Yes, you can still use it but you will have to focus on your subject 1st before rotating the CPL to achieve the desire effect. If you were to set your CPL 1st it will rotate together with the lens while focusing therefore changing the position of the filter and the out come of the shot.

CPL gives you the kind of deep blue sky effect that you see on post card, as mention before the effet is at its greatest when the sun is at 90 degree to you. It also help you to see thru water and glass by removing the reflection. If you are using a wide or super wide angle lens be carefully not to have half of your picture with deep blue sky n light blue sky.

The CPL can also because as a ND filter as they also reduce the amount of light reaching the sensor.This will allow you to use slower shutter speed or wider apertures. The amount of light reduction will vary between 1 to 3 stops depending on the amount of Polarised light from the subject and the position of the filter.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12