Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lion without teeth - Book Review of "The Singapore Miracle" by Rodney King

Default Re: Lion without teeth - Book Review of "The Singapore Miracle" by Rodney King

Well whatever it is, "those who are well off and comfortable" would definitely be applied to anyone on Clubsnap. Unless you happen to be malnourished at the expense of getting a computer, Internet connection and a camera (I mean, this is a photography forums).. In which case you're unsaveable.

I cannot think of a country where there are no poor.

There are things to be improved, but there will always be things to improve. People always say that Hong Kong is a great place to live in, and the usual Singaporean pessimist will tell you that they will migrate there if they have $. After a few days there I got sick and tired of the fact that I could never see the sun due to the permanent haze that never seems to clear, and the buildings in Mongkok often dripped an unidentifiable substance onto hapless passerbys even when it hadn't rained, go figure.

And don't get me started on other countries' public housing. Really. Until you can find something like this in Singapore, which isn't slated for some form of restoration/improvement/repair soon, I think I'm happy with living in a 99 year-leased place than living forever in a slum.

http://contaxg.com/files/5517/1IMG0120600.jpg
    Last edited by night86mare; 9th July 2007 at 11:12 AM.

Default Re: Lion without teeth - Book Review of "The Singapore Miracle" by Rodney King

Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b View Post
    Photo copy can?
    Hand copy also Eh Sai.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    And don't get me started on other countries' public housing. Really. Until you can find something like this in Singapore, which isn't slated for some form of restoration/improvement/repair soon, I think I'm happy with living in a 99 year-leased place than living forever in a slum.
    I think they should start to worry about the 99 year lease only when they are 98.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I think they should start to worry about the 99 year lease only when they are 98.
    How does one live to 98..

When you stress yourself out over the fact that you are so free that you have time to complain about others' misery when you simply have no means or way to thoroughly understand how they really feel?

I find it hypocritical, but maybe it's just me! And that's with the assumption that you bought a HDB flat when you came out of the womb. Technically assuming you happen to marry REALLY early, by today's standards, maybe at 20. And you happen to have enough money to start moving out, incidentally.. 119 years old, you worry about your house. =)

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    How does one live to 98..
    Eat Dragon Bones mah.

Eat Dragon Bones mah.
    I thought must find DRAGON BALL..

Not eat Dragon Bones?

Eat Dragon Bones mah.
    sounds gross.

The 'King' just want to have some cheap publicity. Just ignore him!!

Forgive him as he does not know what he is talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    The 'King' just want to have some cheap publicity. Just ignore him!!

Forgive him as he does not know what he is talking about!
    Why not read it first before ignoring it? Or has it become all who oppose the party's view is wrong? As the chinese say there is no smoke without fire....

The fact that people here even wonder why the book will be "allowed" for sale here, or whether local bookstores "dare" to carry this book, tells you a lot about the nature of this country. Such fear is not the mark of a great nation.

There are thousands of books and articles criticising America, American policy, Bush, etc. written by serious academics and professors and analysts, some from govt think tanks. Newspapers blast government policy all the time. Film-makers criticise the govt too (eg Michael Moore). There are nightly talk shows that criticise America, American policy, Bush, etc. Even Jay Leno takes swipe at govt officials on his talk shows every night. You don't see the American govt trying to "ban" or "rebut" every single criticism, do you? People are free to read what they want and to make up their own minds.

Such is the mark of a great society. That people can speak their minds without fear, that people are allowed to read, see and hear what they want and make up their own minds, and the govt can tolerate alternative views and criticism without being defensive or feeling insecure.
    Last edited by waileong; 10th July 2007 at 02:01 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123