Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Studio Photo Expensive - From consumers' point of view

Default Re: Studio Photo Expensive - From consumers' point of view

If the studio don't bother to make themselves look professional, the customer will never see the value.

Side example, if jewelery companies don't pour huge amounts into marketing/branding diamonds, they probably will cost as much as a pebble picked up from Changi beach.

Just graduated, where got so much spare ca$h to spend on photo shoot!!! Need to repay study loan, start saving from scratch....

Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    If the studio don't bother to make themselves look professional, the customer will never see the value.

Side example, if jewelery companies don't pour huge amounts into marketing/branding diamonds, they probably will cost as much as a pebble picked up from Changi beach.
    exactly
    if Prada started charging cheaper than a certain amount for anything of theirs, then people would assume that it's not desirable enough

So many photographers compete on price so in the end I get god knows how many clients who assume it's very cheap cause they saw some $99 dollar photo package at some shopping mall.

and if you graduate and can't afford the photos, then take your own photos with your point and shoot camera. I didn't get any photos taken when I graduated.not the end of the world.

Well, just like people who go on travels and insist on taking, "I've been here." photos and placing their faces in every single travel photo. There are ppl who feel that a graduation is not a graduation without photos.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    exactly
    if Prada started charging cheaper than a certain amount for anything of theirs, then people would assume that it's not desirable enough

So many photographers compete on price so in the end I get god knows how many clients who assume it's very cheap cause they saw some $99 dollar photo package at some shopping mall.

and if you graduate and can't afford the photos, then take your own photos with your point and shoot camera. I didn't get any photos taken when I graduated.not the end of the world.
    Imagine if Canon only sold L lenses.... How could anyone get started in photography? That's why they have a consumer range, that's why they have a kit lens. And honestly speaking, most people get by very well with their non-L or third party lenses, thank you.

Can we learn something from this as portrait photographers?

The point is that there is a market, and we have to understand what the market is willing to pay, and there is no point trying to charge more than what the market will pay.

To charge a successful executive $510 for a photo is one thing. To charge a fresh grad or a retiree $510 for portrait is another.

Students and senior citizens get discounts for many things (eg bus/MRT, admissions to museums, etc) because they cannot afford to pay as much as regulars.

If you insist on charging the same rates for everyone because you want to "educate" the market on the quality of your photography, I think you'll find very few students will come for your "education".

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    The point is that there is a market, and we have to understand what the market is willing to pay, and there is no point trying to charge more than what the market will pay.

To charge a successful executive $510 for a photo is one thing. To charge a fresh grad or a retiree $510 for portrait is another.

Students and senior citizens get discounts for many things (eg bus/MRT, admissions to museums, etc) because they cannot afford to pay as much as regulars.

If you insist on charging the same rates for everyone because you want to "educate" the market on the quality of your photography, I think you'll find very few students will come for your "education".
    What does $510 including? it could be asking for a session for family portraits, solo portraits, plus 30" by 40" size wall photos with frame and a desk top photo with frame.

If he is asking for this, the price is very fair, of course there are other studios can offer cheaper, and I believe all studio in Singapore will let customer know and agree on the cost or charge before the session, and this is fair and square.

convocation portraits it is not a necessity item, if this is not important to the student or family, they don't have to spend the money, or can just buy a smaller or cheaper package.

The customer has a choice, if they pick the most expensive item, they have to pay the price for the item, not giving them discount just because they are student or retiree.

This student spend money on game, and asking $510 is it expensive? why? don't he know that few thousand students graduate each year, so many of them don't even have family portraits professionally done, just using PnS taking photos with family on that day, and he definably have a choice to buy from somewhere else or smaller package.
    Last edited by catchlights; 9th July 2007 at 05:06 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I was just going to ask that, what items was included for $510...

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    I was just going to ask that, what items was included for $510...
    maybe the rest of the siblings also need to rent the grown from the studio? maybe asking for 30" by 40" wall canvas portraits with goldleaf frame?

each year, the graduate students was flood with all these convocation portraits offers from many studios, these is the second largest pie beside wedding photography, and there already has many so call "studios" or "photographers" offer super cheap packages, I have seen some of these finish works at the print shops and frame makers, would said some of the works are really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    This student spend money on game, and asking $510 is it expensive? why? don't he know that few thousand students graduate each year, so many of them don't even have family portraits professionally done, just using PnS taking photos with family on that day, and he definably have a choice to buy from somewhere else or smaller package.
    Think about it, I think you are quite right!!! I have been spending much on computers, games, tonnes of DVDs, movies, fun.... think total can easily take piles of albums already!!!

It's up to the market, I guess. What you or I or anyone else pontificating here thinks is unimportant. Lets see how many portraits you sell to fresh grads at $510 each.

It's up to the market, I guess. What you or I or anyone else pontificating here thinks is unimportant. Lets see how many portraits you sell to fresh grads at $510 each.
    for an example, if you would to walk into a watch boutique, asking to buy a Rolex, the watch is still selling the same price, regardless you are 18 year old student or 75 year old retiree.

and if someone ask why L lenses are so expensive, so should Canon make L lenses more affordable to everyone?

btw, if this student take up the $510 portraits package with his family, who will be the one paying this $510?

1. That's why they also sell other brands, starting at $9.90.

2. That's why they also sell non-L lenses, and on a volume basis, non-L lenses probably outsell L lenses 5 to 1.

3. Depends.

for an example, if you would to walk into a watch boutique, asking to buy a Rolex, the watch is still selling the same price, regardless you are 18 year old student or 75 year old retiree.

and if someone ask why L lenses are so expensive, so should Canon make L lenses more affordable to everyone?

btw, if this student take up the $510 portraits package with his family, who will be the one paying this $510?

1. That's why they also sell other brands, starting at $9.90.

2. That's why they also sell non-L lenses, and on a volume basis, non-L lenses probably outsell L lenses 5 to 1.

3. Depends.
    yes, if this student think it is expensive, can also shop at other places.

There already have many other studios offer lower price package, and some are really dirt cheap, I'm not sure do you really aware of that?

Mostly the parents will initial for a family portraits, and pay whatever they can effort, asking a youngster to buy something "expensive" for the family? I think he would rather spend that money on his computer.

aft consumer feedback in this thread got any svc provider offer a neat package for such a market. cos every yr got students graduate.

package A: bare basics

package B: something betta

package C: for deep wallets

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    aft consumer feedback in this thread got any svc provider offer a neat package for such a market. cos every yr got students graduate.

Have.... already have since long long ago..

package C: $900~$2000

package B: $250~$700

package A: $38 for one solo only with one 8"x10" desk top

DIY package: poll a few students together to hire someone shoot at location or studio.

make do with anything package: ask anyone with camera to take for them.

Have.... already have since long long ago..

package C: $900~$2000

package B: $250~$700

package A: $38 for one solo only with one 8"x10" desk top

DIY package: poll a few students together to hire someone shoot at location or studio.

make do with anything package: ask anyone with camera to take for them.
    Super Cheap Package:

Hold P&S with one hand set at wide-angle and take own photos and with family and friends. Don't have P&S use handphone also can.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Super Cheap Package:

Hold P&S with one hand set at wide-angle and take own photos and with family and friends. Don't have P&S use handphone also can.
    A Nokia N95 Hp takes good picture but it cost more then $510 if buy without plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    Just graduated, where got so much spare ca$h to spend on photo shoot!!! Need to repay study loan, start saving from scratch....
    Then dont expect quality photos, you pay for what you get, cannot afford, then dont buy. Its simple.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12