Thread: Dengue Hotspots !

Default Dengue Hotspots !

just in case, u are doing outdoor shooting, this info will be helpful.. bring insect repellant..

http://app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/cat...ub.asp?cid=239

Default Re: Dengue Hotspots !

Useful indeed, thanks for sharing.

Just another note: Aedes aegyptii, the main vector of dengue, is most active at dawn, with 5 to 9 being the most dangerous period. These days, if I need to photograph insects in the neighbourhood, I put up with the heat and do it around noon or 1pm instead, when the mosquitoes are hiding indoors!

Quote Originally Posted by vespa_bicolor View Post
    Useful indeed, thanks for sharing.

Just another note: Aedes aegyptii, the main vector of dengue, is most active at dawn, with 5 to 9 being the most dangerous period. These days, if I need to photograph insects in the neighbourhood, I put up with the heat and do it around noon or 1pm instead, when the mosquitoes are hiding indoors!
    5 to 9 ? tat is when most pple are going school and going to work..

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    5 to 9 ? tat is when most pple are going school and going to work..
    Yup. Going to school/work cannot be helped, we can't choose to go in only in the afternoon just because of the risk of dengue. But I'd carry out other outdoor activities near residential areas (including photography) somewhat later. (Not applicable for outdoor shooting in parks some distance from residential areas; the chance of getting dengue from such areas is far lower and negligible)
    Last edited by vespa_bicolor; 4th July 2007 at 11:17 PM.

here some info about dengue from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever

PCK say , dun play play ..

( wait that was for SARS virus that he wanted to minus )

any problem just see your friendly neighbourhood doctor

Ryan

geylang is hotspot. I go geylang every week......... my church is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    geylang is hotspot. I go geylang every week......... my church is there.
    u better alert the property in-charge to do fogging now... better call up the pest control before NEA comes and found something unpleasant.

I dunno much about dengue, but i think for any disease, especially one that can kill you coming at a clip of 300-400 a week something has to be done. What I'm more curious with is that at that high a frequency rate, I wonder how many have actually died from dengue and that perhaps this might not be reported in the media.

From an outsiders point of view, if you pretty much clear out the land as in the city area, and basically leave your larger green spaces around outerlying resdential areas, i think it's a fair assumption that your outer population is now living in areas that are more dangerous. what i mean by this is that i think Singapore is too small to have cleared out some areas while leaving others in check. i mean i understand the concept of keeping as much green spaces as possible but simple diffusion will tell you that if you had an ocean that dried up into a few smaller lakes, then into a few smaller ponds, in order for the fish to live they have to migrate along with the ocean shrinkage. perhaps this is the same with the mosquitos... like the fish example, they have to migrate somewhere to survive and the smaller or less or scattered their habitat becomes, the more concentrated they will be.

so for ppl staying near these hotspots how? shd be stay indoor or stay away from home?
    die liao la... ardy told mum i dun wana stay pasir ris ardy...