Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Breaking the edges...

  1. #1

    Default Breaking the edges...

    As the title suggests, I name this pic as breaking edges... Hoping to bring out the feel of showing the dramatic sky with the CBD area in shiloutte. Showing a high contrast against the feelings of odds. However i do observe there is a little of 'barrel distortion'? on the right side of the pic, the tallest buiulding seems arched, is it called barrel distortion? Would like to know if the composition for such a pic has worked for the eyes of many? The colours of this pic is it gd? As well should i capture it as a HDR? So as to bring out the sun rays even more?

    Last edited by eikin; 4th July 2007 at 10:03 PM.
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Breaking the edges...

    your original picture in the thread is too small, i've replaced it with the larger image you linked to. actually i still think it's too small, you might want to consider an even bigger one, something between 600pixels to 800 pixels on the long side will be good, and since this is a panoramic crop, 800 pixels on the long side will be nice

  3. #3

    Default Re: Breaking the edges...

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    your original picture in the thread is too small, i've replaced it with the larger image you linked to. actually i still think it's too small, you might want to consider an even bigger one, something between 600pixels to 800 pixels on the long side will be good, and since this is a panoramic crop, 800 pixels on the long side will be nice
    oh ty! but eikin, i had this size of 3871 X 1644 in photoshop. But how come i upload to flickr, than the image become so small? can enlighten me on the steps? TO make the pic bigger?
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: Breaking the edges...

    The idea of this shot is a good one. You have brought out the colours in the sky nicely. The cloud formations also add to the quality of this shot.

    I would (personal preference) like the silhouetted skyline to be more distinct in the sense that... at one look, I know "hey! this is singapore". The easiest way would be through the silhouette of the esplanade. Which from this pic, I see as 2 lumps only. If there was a way to show its "spikes" in your shot, ah... that would make this shot "Uniquely Singapore".

    That tilting inwards building can be corrected through "Distort: Lens Correction" inside Photoshop. And yes, it is something quite inherent when straight objects are placed near the edges on a wide lens...

    Just my 2 cent contribution

  5. #5

    Default Re: Breaking the edges...

    hmmm to bring out the silhouette of the esplanade... That sounds real tough... nevertheless i would give it a shot....
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Breaking the edges...

    Quote Originally Posted by nigel84 View Post
    hmmm to bring out the silhouette of the esplanade... That sounds real tough... nevertheless i would give it a shot....
    Just meter for the sky.. if need to, overexpose by 1/2 to 1 stop will do the trick.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Breaking the edges...

    Quote Originally Posted by nigel84 View Post
    hmmm to bring out the silhouette of the esplanade... That sounds real tough... nevertheless i would give it a shot....
    I had made 2 attempts to bring out the silhouette of the esplanade. bu highlighting them more...
    the first pic


    the 2nd pic


    Would like to know which is better? For myself i prefer the first one. But i do find that its a little still too dark.
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

  8. #8

    Default Re: Breaking the edges...

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32 View Post
    Just meter for the sky.. if need to, overexpose by 1/2 to 1 stop will do the trick.
    I would love to do this very shot again... However so, i did not shoot it in RAW. Neither i think such a dramatic sky would be over my head again... Had no choice but to do it via the PP way. Anyway talking abt metering... I'm using a 400D and i do not have spot meter... Can i be enlightened on how should i go abt doing it?
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Breaking the edges...

    Somethings not quite right abt your newly posted pic.. the edge of the buildings seems like feathered?

    As for metering, just choose a spot metering method, meter the sky, either use Exposure lock (AE) or rem the reading and recompose the shot.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Breaking the edges...

    1. to bring up the silhouettes, needs more contrast between sky and buildings. u may be too late, and the sun have gone too far down. maybe retake at an earlier time. HDR can't put a contrast when there is none. But u can of course experiment with it.

    2. what is certain is the present pic can be improved by PP, if you know how to do it correctly. Good PP is one that is "natural", ie something within our natural visual experiences, and haloes are certainly unnatural. But you need to know blending and something I've called, "digitally simulated GND" to do this.

    3. lens distortion correction is pretty straight forward in PS. Click around and you soon get the hang of it.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Breaking the edges...

    Quote Originally Posted by espion View Post
    1. to bring up the silhouettes, needs more contrast between sky and buildings. u may be too late, and the sun have gone too far down. maybe retake at an earlier time. HDR can't put a contrast when there is none. But u can of course experiment with it.

    2. what is certain is the present pic can be improved by PP, if you know how to do it correctly. Good PP is one that is "natural", ie something within our natural visual experiences, and haloes are certainly unnatural. But you need to know blending and something I've called, "digitally simulated GND" to do this.

    3. lens distortion correction is pretty straight forward in PS. Click around and you soon get the hang of it.

    Err espion, i would love to hear from you on your technique regarding the "digitally simulated GND" I tried all methods but none came out pleasing... pls help!
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

  12. #12
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Breaking the edges...

    I think that to show the esplanade silhouette from the pictures is too tough... only a closer view from Esplanade will be possible....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Breaking the edges...

    I wanted to be nearer... but as many know the platform now is formed up or the NDP and another inch i move forward i would be stepping in deep waters... >.<
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,336

    Default Re: Breaking the edges...

    Quote Originally Posted by nigel84 View Post
    Err espion, i would love to hear from you on your technique regarding the "digitally simulated GND" I tried all methods but none came out pleasing... pls help!
    he taught me how, you can either create a darken layer (multiply, darken, blurn etc) or a brightened layer (lighten, screen, dodge etc). After which, create a masking with a gradient from top to bottom or vice versa whichever you want to darken or brighten. This way you can 'underexpose' the sky yet retain the buildings in its original colour.

    However since your horizon is jagged by the irregular outlined silhouette, you will find some of your sky nearer to the building brighter than that at the top. You can always use a brush on your masking layer to allow your simulated gnd to take effect.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Breaking the edges...

    oh wow... i would give tt a shot once my flu is over -.-'''
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •