Thread: Nos of Pixels vs File Size

Default Nos of Pixels vs File Size

Hi, I am quite pazzled by what I had discover recently.

I own a 2 Olumpus MP camera and when I shoot macro mode at the highest resolution setting, it produced a JPEG file of size 1 MB approx. Last Saturday I borrow from my friend a Canon G3, 1 4 MP camera and shoot the same object at macro mode and set at its highest resolution, it produced a JPEG file of size 0.8 MB.

The 2 MP file is of resolution is 1600 x 1200, the 4 MP file is of 2272 x 1704. My intention is to print a postal of size A4 and a banner of Size 60 cm x 45 cm. So I think the 4 MB picture should produce a bigger file and a sharper image.

But from the picture downloaded intoPC, the 4 MP file seems not as sharp as 2 MP file (maybe because of the depth of view is shallower in 4 MP setting). My questions are:

1. why a 4 MP camera produce a file smalled that 2 MP camera, both using their highest resolution setting? Because of different compression ratio of JPEG?

2. then which one is better for producing A4 and 60 cm x 45 cm banner?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Nos of Pixels vs File Size

Originally posted by Whitesand

ut from the picture downloaded intoPC, the 4 MP file seems not as sharp as 2 MP file (maybe because of the depth of view is shallower in 4 MP setting). My questions are:

1. why a 4 MP camera produce a file smalled that 2 MP camera, both using their highest resolution setting? Because of different compression ratio of JPEG?

Thanks in advance
    1. Yes. Different compression ratios will result in remarkedly different filesizes.

2. If both pics are taken well (proper focus, exposure, etc), the 4MP will print better.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

sounds dodgy.. even poor compression still can see some marked resolution difference esp at A4... it's 2 mp vs 4mp after all
    check ur settings again...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Default Re: Re: Nos of Pixels vs File Size

Originally posted by mpenza
    1. Yes. Different compression ratios will result in remarkedly different filesizes.
    OT, but this is a classic example of Bushism.

You either mean remarkably or markedly.

Default Re: Nos of Pixels vs File Size

I own a 2 Olumpus MP camera and when I shoot macro mode at the highest resolution setting, it produced a JPEG file of size 1 MB approx. Last Saturday I borrow from my friend a Canon G3, 1 4 MP camera and shoot the same object at macro mode and set at its highest resolution, it produced a JPEG file of size 0.8 MB.

The 2 MP file is of resolution is 1600 x 1200, the 4 MP file is of 2272 x 1704. My intention is to print a postal of size A4 and a banner of Size 60 cm x 45 cm. So I think the 4 MB picture should produce a bigger file and a sharper image.

But from the picture downloaded intoPC, the 4 MP file seems not as sharp as 2 MP file (maybe because of the depth of view is shallower in 4 MP setting). My questions are:

Thanks in advance
    To get a closest file size to your camera megapixel, you shold take the picture with RAW format for canon G3. Just find the equivalent format for the olympus, I believe you will get a bigger file size.

When you choose normal format (JPEG), the camera will try to reduce the file using a compression.

Thanks all for advice.

I must apology for the mistake: The file format chosen is Large/Fine. I counter check those setting again and find a hidden setting from the * button that set Superfine/fine/normal. After setting to superfine/large, the file size is 1.5 MB. Sorry for that as the previous shooting was done 1 hour after I laid my hand on the camera ? .

BTW, I cannot locate the user manual of G3 even my friend had passed me the whole package. I have a "quick start guid" which is too brief to undertand the camera and the CD also did not include any pdf manual. I had also tried Canon website but cannot find any user manual but just a brochure. Anyone has any idea where to get a copy of user manual

Thanks all for advice.

I must apology for the mistake: The file format chosen is Large/Fine. I counter check those setting again and find a hidden setting from the * button that set Superfine/fine/normal. After setting to superfine/large, the file size is 1.5 MB. Sorry for that as the previous shooting was done 1 hour after I laid my hand on the camera ? .

BTW, I cannot locate the user manual of G3 even my friend had passed me the whole package. I have a "quick start guid" which is too brief to undertand the camera and the CD also did not include any pdf manual. I had also tried Canon website but cannot find any user manual but just a brochure. Anyone has any idea where to get a copy of user manual
    Try this website -> link

It has a very through manual, even better than the one in the box because they have all the colour.