Thread: Integrated wireless modem or separate modem + router?

Default Integrated wireless modem or separate modem + router?

I'm thinking whether I should get an integrated wireless modem (that means its an all-in-one modem + router) or a separate modem + router.
    Anyone has any experience with the integrated thing? Any differences in performace, speed, stability, etc?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Default Re: Integrated wireless modem or separate modem + router?

used both. i like the integrated modem. no worries not much wires hanging about...

but i sold mine for a Wifi-N, i thinking of buying the wireless integrated one from Motorola. but cant get it unless from Laghub.

Speed wise.. i cannot see difference actually....

Is the integrated one easy to configure?
    Have you heard of the brand 2Wire or SpeedTouch? Singnet selling them $140 when u sign broadband plan with them. They claim that original price is $400. But i've never even heard of these brands and the normal linksys or d-link ones only ard $100. U have any particular brand to recommend? Good for computer-not-so-literate person.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

i got the linksys wireless router + modem. setup is a no-brainer. just pop in the CD and follow the wizard and you are good to go. no problems so far from the modem.

try to get the modem with the ADSL2+ compliant one. this should be able to support higher broadband speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Is the integrated one easy to configure?
    Have you heard of the brand 2Wire or SpeedTouch? Singnet selling them $140 when u sign broadband plan with them. They claim that original price is $400. But i've never even heard of these brands and the normal linksys or d-link ones only ard $100. U have any particular brand to recommend? Good for computer-not-so-literate person.
    Hi, there are pros and cons on both integrated and modem + router. Nowadays, most of the network stuff are easy to calibrate and their user manual are easy to follow. For integrated, it safes the hussel on the wires and no of power points used, but will risk the whole network breakdown if spolit. , whereas for separate components, you can upgrade router while dun need to change the modem and vice versa.

For me, I am using the 2wire from Singtel and never failed me since subscribed 2 years ago.
    Recently, thinking about getting Linksys router and adpator for mobility. Cheers!
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

If you intend to use Singtel ST536v6 modem on separated router, better read through this guide from HWZ, took me some time to find this and make my home wireless network working.

SET ST536v6 to bridge mode
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Oh yes, if i get a router, I must get some PC Card thing to be the receiver right?
    Any recommendations for this?

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Oh yes, if i get a router, I must get some PC Card thing to be the receiver right?
    Any recommendations for this?
    Ethernet desktop network adaptor. Linksys and D-Link has some inexpensive ones.