Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    Just curious, why is there a need to re-format?

Any advantageous of re-format?
    because he is using windoze

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    because he is using windoze
    Sighhhh...
    Anyway, I am sick n tired of all these windows problems and I'm gonna get a Mac when the Leopard is out (provided I have $ then) and give this problematic and slow PC to my sister! But for now, I still need to use this PC so I need to reformat it cos it in unusable in its current state.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleyy View Post
    lolx.. did you know that backup is only available in windows xp pro and not home edition?

this will depends on whether which ver he is using...

Ooopsi. Didn't know that.
    What i do is to get a copy of all the files, but the files are all over

He'd better get a back-up of his C:\Documents and Settings folder though.

No worries... back up is the first thing i do...
    before i even figure out how to reformat...
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

WinXP is not problematic if you can tame it well.

My PC didn't come with WinXP discs, but my PC had another HDD that included all WinXP factory settings. So what I did was, backup my files, run the HP restore thingy, then it will automatically format the C:/ and copy everything from the extra HDD to C:/.

Which sucks because I cannot run chkdsk prior reformatting and reinstalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
    Tame it?!?
    More like its taming me!!

lolx.. XP works fine for a long time if u dun meddle with software installation too much and have a reasonable anti-virus and be careful of where you surf and which emails you open.

there is no a real standard procedure to reinstall windows, largely depending on DIY or branded, etc.

Most DIY motherboards uses Del to access BIOS, some uses F1 or F2. For branded sets, it can be anything from F1, F2 to F10, Del. IBM sets may use it's own "acess IBM key"

OEM installation is pretty standard but recovery is another thing. Some PC/NB comes with recovery partition, some still uses CD/DVD. all the method are largely similiar and slight different.. =P

lolx.. XP works fine for a long time if u dun meddle with software installation too much and have a reasonable anti-virus and be careful of where you surf and which emails you open.

there is no a real standard procedure to reinstall windows, largely depending on DIY or branded, etc.

Most DIY motherboards uses Del to access BIOS, some uses F1 or F2. For branded sets, it can be anything from F1, F2 to F10, Del. IBM sets may use it's own "acess IBM key"

OEM installation is pretty standard but recovery is another thing. Some PC/NB comes with recovery partition, some still uses CD/DVD. all the method are largely similiar and slight different.. =P
    My XP works fine for about 1 year plus then start to slow down... sigh ... Don't think it's my anti virus program as in the beginning it was already there and I dun dare to meddle with the Windows 's System folders ... think have to re-format again

For people like me who dunno much about computing, this is hard.... even reformat, re-configuration all my things is scary. what if I cannot get Internet connection up again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    My XP works fine for about 1 year plus then start to slow down... sigh ... Don't think it's my anti virus program as in the beginning it was already there and I dun dare to meddle with the Windows 's System folders ... think have to re-format again
    Anti virus program shouldn't typically slow down with time, although they seem to care less and less about efficiency and more about bloat nowadays. On the other hand, majority of users should benefit from this bloat, as seen from the number of toolbars people install in IE at the prompt of "do you wanna install the SuPeRKeWL abracadabra toolbar? it takes only seconds!".

What is worse is those little "utility" programs (including above-mentioned toolbars) that come bundled with useless parts (or even adware, though most virus scanners report them these days) running in memory, and taking processor time. Other reason is the somewhat disturbing trend of every reputable software producer (Adobe, Real etc) to install things by default that run at windows startup and keep in the memory to check for updates. Growing up registry/user settings/folder sizes and decreasing free disk space doesn't help the situation either.

You can check this by comparing the number of processes in task manager in a new and old installation.

My PC used to be gawddamn slow until I realised I have too many apps in Startup.

Now the Anti-virus/anti-anything progs I use are Norton, AdAware, AVG Anti-spyware, AVG Anti-virus, Spybot: S&D.
    I've got people saying I'm over cautious by installing too many anti-spyware softwares, but you can never be too sure about a computer's security. A nasty trojan caused me to reformat my PC five times consecutively before it could work again.

Quote Originally Posted by wazzup View Post
    Original XP discs are shiny on both sides. Which side?
    try sideways.

My PC used to be gawddamn slow until I realised I have too many apps in Startup.

Now the Anti-virus/anti-anything progs I use are Norton, AdAware, AVG Anti-spyware, AVG Anti-virus, Spybot: S&D.
    I've got people saying I'm over cautious by installing too many anti-spyware softwares, but you can never be too sure about a computer's security. A nasty trojan caused me to reformat my PC five times consecutively before it could work again.
    lolx.. ever heard too many cooks spoil the broth.. the only way I can think of getting virus as fast by not installing anti-virus is to install multiple virus..

since anti-virus run "real-time", both anti-virus might detect and try to remove it.. and jam up the whole pc..

lolx.. ever heard too many cooks spoil the broth.. the only way I can think of getting virus as fast by not installing anti-virus is to install multiple virus..

since anti-virus run "real-time", both anti-virus might detect and try to remove it.. and jam up the whole pc..
    Yeah, when the anti-virus progs run their auto updates they cause me to be disconnected from Granado Espada (in the middle of a squad mission, mind you) because too lag.

Dear kind & helpful people...
    I have followed your advice... set boot priority to cd-rom, enabled "boot other devices/cd/dvd" and got to the part when it says "press any key to boot from cd". So at this point, I pressed "Enter". Up comes a screen with the words "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration... " After a few seconds of this screen... the computer goes blank and the power goes off... i.e. the computer shuts itself down. No chance to delete partitions, install WinXP whatsoever!
    What should I do???

Hi,

Generally, when the power supply to your PC got shut down, check the followings:

1. Do you get any beeping sounds when you tried to start it up again (power on button)?
    2. Is there any smell coming out from your PC casing? (for burning smell)?
    3. Is there any LED lights being displayed at your PC? (whether it is Power On/Restart/LAN/Power Supply/..)?
    4. Do you hear any mechanical sounds from your PC? (either fan/harddisk/..)?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12