Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Hi,
    I need to reformat my pc...
    Anyone know where I can find some sort of Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC that I can follow?
    Thanks!
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    nowhere... juz a random stray.
    Posts
    2,227

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    reformatting is simple.. if it's re-installation u'r refering to, then it's different.

    Formatting HDD is just a simple process of erasing all the data in the hdd and setting up the directory structure, etc for use.. it does not include any operating system unless you install one in.

    To format, just create a bootup diskette if you still have a FDD. Otherwise, booting from OS CDs like win95, win98, etc will also do. Once booted into dos prompt, simply look for the format command file in the cd and use it.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashleyy View Post
    reformatting is simple.. if it's re-installation u'r refering to, then it's different.

    Formatting HDD is just a simple process of erasing all the data in the hdd and setting up the directory structure, etc for use.. it does not include any operating system unless you install one in.

    To format, just create a bootup diskette if you still have a FDD. Otherwise, booting from OS CDs like win95, win98, etc will also do. Once booted into dos prompt, simply look for the format command file in the cd and use it.
    Perhaps its my fault that I did not make myself clear.
    Yah, actually I meant reformatting and reinstalling. What's the use of formatting and not installing. I can't use the pc until i reinstall after formatting right?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    nowhere... juz a random stray.
    Posts
    2,227

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Perhaps its my fault that I did not make myself clear.
    Yah, actually I meant reformatting and reinstalling. What's the use of formatting and not installing. I can't use the pc until i reinstall after formatting right?
    *shrugs* you can always format and install DOS.. there's still some use for DOS..
    besides, I've been using DOS for years before windows was invented.. lolx

    for reinstallation, largely depends on which OS you installing, DIY or branded PC with recovery disks.. different methods of installation.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashleyy View Post
    *shrugs* you can always format and install DOS.. there's still some use for DOS..
    besides, I've been using DOS for years before windows was invented.. lolx

    for reinstallation, largely depends on which OS you installing, DIY or branded PC with recovery disks.. different methods of installation.
    U must be kidding me! I am asking for a DUMMY's guide, do you think I know how to use DOS?
    I will be installing WinXP Pro with SP1 (or 2, dun think that matters).
    Its DIY PC (what's recovery disk? don't think i have).
    Oh, and i want to partition my hdd into 2 drives.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    nowhere... juz a random stray.
    Posts
    2,227

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    U must be kidding me! I am asking for a DUMMY's guide, do you think I know how to use DOS?
    I will be installing WinXP Pro with SP1 (or 2, dun think that matters).
    Its DIY PC (what's recovery disk? don't think i have).
    Oh, and i want to partition my hdd into 2 drives.
    Before you format, go hunt for your drivers CD. Motherboard, Graphic Card, Soundcard, Printer, etc

    Boot up with your XP cd,
    you can del partition and create partition there
    format and install.. juz follow the instructions, pretty simple..
    choose NTFS for Format, more stable than FAT32
    after installation, install all your drivers.



    otherwise, you can seek professional help from me.. lolx.. I charge a modest fee for my services.
    Last edited by Ashleyy; 4th July 2007 at 04:53 AM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Wahhh... this is not the DUMMY's guide I asked for...
    Think u're too smart... never read a Dummy's guide before.
    A Dummy's guide will have like 10 steps more for every step that you said lor.
    Sighhhzzzz.....
    What is your modest fees like btw? PM me.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  8. #8
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    You want dummy guide ?? no need dummy guide... a few simple steps.

    2) Before boot to Windows, go to your Bios Screen and change the boot priority. Make sure that "Boot Other Devices / CD / DVD" has been enabled.

    2) Save changes and exit (PC will restart)

    3) Insert your XP Pro CD into your CD/DVD Drive. (Fast !!)

    4) A message will be popped out "Press any key to boot from CD"

    5) Click enter when u see the message.

    6) You will be presented with a blue screen of instructions to Install WinXP.

    7) After which it will ask you to install in which partition.

    8) Delete all partitions and Reformat all. (NTFS also can.)

    9) Wait for it to copy all files and install.

    10) You have your XP Pro in your system now.

    Its that simple. Still don't know how ? Let me know.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    You want dummy guide ?? no need dummy guide... a few simple steps.
    Ahhh... your guide is better. But this dummy still has some qns...

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    2) Before boot to Windows, go to your Bios Screen and change the boot priority. Make sure that "Boot Other Devices / CD / DVD" has been enabled.
    How to go to Bio Screen?
    What do u mean before boot to windows? Exactly when is this?
    Oh btw, my com has a stupid problem (one reason i need to reformat). During boot up, it will go to this screen saying "One of your disks need to be checked for consistency. Enter any key now to skip diskscheck..." Actually i had let it check before but it still gets into this. So what do i need to do at this stage in order to reformat?

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    8) Delete all partitions and Reformat all. (NTFS also can.)
    Then after deleting and reformating the partitions... How do I partition it back?
    Currently i have 2 partitions c:\ and d:\ Windows is installed on c:\

    And the last stupid qn... probably the stupidest one.
    After windows has installed, I just need to install the drivers, etc right? Then my com will be up and running again? (just to make sure la)

    Errrr.... sorry for asking so many dumb qns ah...
    I need dummy guide mah...
    But thanks man!!!
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Hi,
    I need to reformat my pc...
    Anyone know where I can find some sort of Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC that I can follow?
    Thanks!
    Windows installation is really idiot proof. Just follow the installation wizard to assist you to format and install your PC.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  11. #11

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Whatever you do, you may want to save your bookmarks and other important files first. I have been frustrated several times by not remembering to save something important before formatting.

    If you are not very sure what to save, you may find an easy way through Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup. It lets you backup/restore your bookmarks etc, which you can restore later to your new installation. If you are familiar with Windows system, you can copy individual files as well, but that's not very straightforward.

    Good luck! Anyone needs a bit of that when reformatting a system :-)

    PS: Nice cat you got there.
    Last edited by estel; 4th July 2007 at 10:33 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Just curious, why is there a need to re-format?

    Any advantageous of re-format?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Ahhh... your guide is better. But this dummy still has some qns...



    How to go to Bio Screen?
    What do u mean before boot to windows? Exactly when is this?
    Oh btw, my com has a stupid problem (one reason i need to reformat). During boot up, it will go to this screen saying "One of your disks need to be checked for consistency. Enter any key now to skip diskscheck..." Actually i had let it check before but it still gets into this. So what do i need to do at this stage in order to reformat?



    Then after deleting and reformating the partitions... How do I partition it back?
    Currently i have 2 partitions c:\ and d:\ Windows is installed on c:\

    And the last stupid qn... probably the stupidest one.
    After windows has installed, I just need to install the drivers, etc right? Then my com will be up and running again? (just to make sure la)

    Errrr.... sorry for asking so many dumb qns ah...
    I need dummy guide mah...
    But thanks man!!!
    Could your hard disk be failing?
    除了爱, 我一无所有

  14. #14

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    Just curious, why is there a need to re-format?

    Any advantageous of re-format?


    It is like giving your PC a "makeover" session.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    nowhere... juz a random stray.
    Posts
    2,227

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Quote Originally Posted by estel View Post
    Whatever you do, you may want to save your bookmarks and other important files first. I have been frustrated several times by not remembering to save something important before formatting.

    If you are not very sure what to save, you may find an easy way through Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup. It lets you backup/restore your bookmarks etc, which you can restore later to your new installation. If you are familiar with Windows system, you can copy individual files as well, but that's not very straightforward.

    Good luck! Anyone needs a bit of that when reformatting a system :-)

    PS: Nice cat you got there.
    lolx.. did you know that backup is only available in windows xp pro and not home edition?

    this will depends on whether which ver he is using...

  16. #16
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    Just curious, why is there a need to re-format?

    Any advantageous of re-format?
    Most probably virus attack from fishing too much prawns.

    1)How to go to Bio Screen?
    What do u mean before boot to windows? Exactly when is this?
    Oh btw, my com has a stupid problem (one reason i need to reformat). During boot up, it will go to this screen saying "One of your disks need to be checked for consistency. Enter any key now to skip diskscheck..." Actually i had let it check before but it still gets into this. So what do i need to do at this stage in order to reformat?



    i) Press CD-rom eject button

    ii) Put in ur XP installation CD, important :Shiny surface at bottom.

    iii) Press CD-rom eject button again. U see and hear a sound and ur CD-rom tray closes

    iii) Next try to find reset button on PC and press it once. Once u see some numbers running on the screen.
    Hit "DEL" button to get into bios.

    iv) Inside bios, use ur cursor keys to navigate through the menu.

    Look for something call "Boot priority"

    Set to boot to : "CD-rom, C:" something like that...

    To change the setting, Press "Page up" or "Page Down"

    2) Press F10

    Choose "Save Changes and Exit" using cursor key

    3) Wait for PC auto reboot from ur XP installation CD

    4) U see a blue screen... Nope its not the blue screen of death..
    Follow through the instructions.

    5) Since you are reformatting.... delete all the partitions you see in setup.

    6) Then follow thru again.

    God bless with the installation
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  17. #17
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    I love my cup & coaster!
    Posts
    754

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Original XP discs are shiny on both sides. Which side?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    156

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Quote Originally Posted by wazzup View Post
    Original XP discs are shiny on both sides. Which side?
    The original disc has words silk screened on one of the sides. Not both sides are "shiny". If you have one that are "shiny" on both sides, most likely it is not "original".

  19. #19

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    Just curious, why is there a need to re-format?

    Any advantageous of re-format?
    You didn't know meh................it's PC mar. Must reformat after every 6 months to a year. As PC slows down after installing and uninstalling, blah blah................virus and so on......

  20. #20
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Dummy's Guide to Reformatting PC

    Quote Originally Posted by wazzup View Post
    Original XP discs are shiny on both sides. Which side?
    The side that shines more lar
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •