Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast

Thread: Wu Xiao Kang - A Dose of LIES

Default Re: Wu Xiao Kang - A Dose of LIES

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003 View Post
    So, this is the organisers' website or theirs?

I'll go sign it...but I'd want to call the organisers up too, to lodge my protest!
    according to the newspaper reports, Phish Communications is the organiser for the Month of Photography, which this project is part of.

hey i'm not in singapore, you guys should be much more informed than me!

Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b View Post
    So dun patronise this exhibit loh...
    If the exhibition do take place, I feel as a photography community, we must do more than that. Many patrons many not have the prior knowledge of the stunt these people pulled. Somehow, we must convey our views protest against this.

Even if they decide to call it off, we should expect some kind of statement reprove the ridiculous act of this group.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    according to the newspaper reports, Phish Communications is the organiser for the Month of Photography, which this project is part of.

I'm emailing the organiser and the art group. What's the email to contact?

This is a STOMP material lor...

tell the straits times reporter to come here and interview us...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I would just let it go. Not much point to do much else really.

Hey, thanks for the link...paiseh, was quite incensed by all these nonsense going on, and failed to noticed the organisers...

I've already email them...but i wonder if this will work...

i've seen this set of pictures long time ago. at the start of this year actually. it's sends an eerie chill down my spine! (cos i've seen it late at night actually).

the story is definitely written is such a real way that it's totally scary. But like what jsbn said, if not for the story, those pictures are just another set of art pieces you'll find - doesn't "wow" me to stare at for a second.

There is a saying "Bad publicity is better than no publicity"

Anyway, art is always about provoking thoughts and responses, a thesis and an anti-thesis, so I think it's very successful.

Just back to Sg last nite and notice this thread. I haven read thru what the whole thing going on but i have roughly know what's going no.

I have seen the site (Xiao kang) so many time and i have been proudly shared with my friends and even it on my site. I have admired Xiao kang of what he had been thru and those thoughts that he was sharing.

But it time for me to take the link down from my site till all is straighten out. Sad to say.
    Last edited by Tupi Guy; 3rd July 2007 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by insanne View Post

Anyway, art is always about provoking thoughts and responses, a thesis and an anti-thesis, so I think it's very successful.
    Ya, in a way they have succeed but not in this way for me.

yes, but the success of this work is not in the awareness of schizophrenia, for they misrepresented the condition by their romanticisation of the condition. instead they have accidentally provided everyone with the opportunity to reflect on the use of art, and they shall be judged on their use of art.
    Last edited by eikin; 3rd July 2007 at 03:13 PM.

yes, but the success of this work is not in the awareness of schizophrenia, for they misrepresented the condition by their romanticisation of the condition. instead they have accidentally provided everyone with the opportunity to reflect on the use of art, and they shall be judged on their use of art.
    That is exactly what I meant by it provoking a reaction with the audience. I did not mention anything about the body of work being successful, but the "art" itself serves to stimulate an exchange. Its not about the subject, for that is another matter totally.
    Last edited by insanne; 3rd July 2007 at 03:29 PM.

That is exactly what I meant by it provoking a reaction with the audience. I never say that the body of work being successful, but the "art" itself serves to stimulate an exchange. If you read again what I said earlier, it's not about the subject, for that is another matter totally.
    you've generally described the work as successful, i don't deny your judgement. i'm pointing out that they did not achieve the aim they've stated because of the failure caused by their ''artistic action.'' the reactions provoked, as of now, are towards their irresponsible acts towards art itself.

art serves to stimulate exchange with or without this failed piece of work, that's what i think
    Last edited by eikin; 3rd July 2007 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003 View Post
    So, this is the organisers' website or theirs?

I'll go sign it...but I'd want to call the organisers up too, to lodge my protest!
    If you read the Straits Times articles quoted on the first two pages of this thread, you would see that the organizers Phish Communications were not aware of the hoax. They were duped by Tay Kay Chin, the curator who selected the photos for the exhibition even though he knew they were dodgy.

That is exactly what I meant by it provoking a reaction with the audience. I did not mention anything about the body of work being successful, but the "art" itself serves to stimulate an exchange. Its not about the subject, for that is another matter totally.
    But the problem here is that the reaction is not to the work, but to the way that things were carried out. The reation was not about interpretation of art but on the integrity of the so-call "artist".

BC

Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    If you read the Straits Times articles quoted on the first two pages of this thread, you would see that the organizers Phish Communications were not aware of the hoax. They were duped by Tay Kay Chin, the curator who selected the photos for the exhibition even though he knew they were dodgy.
    You mean Mr Tay actually duped the organiser... this is a statement or expression?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    indeed, i question the purpose of showing art that misrepresents.

If art's intention was to deceive the public with a false story, then its act, not art.

If art's intention was to mislead the public, its not art... its politics...

If art's intention was to create awareness by sacrificing truth, then who will believe in art, let alone be aware in future...

These work, just serve to tell the public...

1) do not trust what you see.
    2) do not trust any campaign.
    3) do not trust any photographers who tell you about art.

this incident makes me really unhappy.

it's like someone fakes a van Gogh painting, with his excellent workmanship and artistic talent. the fabricator then wants to exhibit the painting, under the notion of raising awareness for mental illness. then a curator comes by and is impressed by the painting, and sends it for public exhibition saying that it is an authentic painting by van Gogh, although he knew that the work was fake. the exhibiting company took the words from these people for real, and exhibits the work. the fabricator spins a touching story of why and how van Gogh created the painting, and claims himself to have inherited the astounding artwork through chance and thus strives to make the work known. the public then look at the painting, and many are touched, both by the painting and the fabricator, under the influence of cunningly choreographed words and other media. the public believe everything to be real.

are we going to accept the ''art'' of misrepresentation as a valid form of art?

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    You mean Mr Tay actually duped the organiser... this is a statement or expression?
    From the news reports:
    1) "Photographer Tay Kay Chin, 41, who selected the pieces to be shown in the exhibition despite being aware of the hoax"
    2) "Festival director Shirlene Noordin, 38, who wrote an essay in the catalogue introducing the group, said she was 'really upset' to have been kept in the dark."

I would state that Tay and the collective duped the organizer.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast