Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: Wu Xiao Kang - A Dose of LIES

Default Re: Wu Xiao Kang - A Dose of LIES

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Ah, I'd checked the photos out yesterday.

To be brutally honest, if I were to see the photos 'standalone' (without whatever 'artistic story' they put together) that is, my comments would be no less than, "Erm... Ok. Nice snaps."

I thought photography was to hit an objective whereby photos tell a story by themselves, where viewers see the photos and are able to draw their own conclusion and not thru a specific story whatsoever?

Can't help but notice that inanimate shots of inanimate objects with shallow DOF like those are 'in the vogue' of late when simply just standalone, they probably held no meaning to it.

As for drawing attention, these artists probably got it... more than what they'd expected for. Including negative ones. Also, it made me wonder abt the word 'artist' in Singapore. An artist is one that invites controversy unintentionally (by way of interpretation) or do they initiate controversy thru their works (put nastily - "Attention seeking")? Which goes?

Probably IMO, "Photos reflecting the sights of a Schizopheric", is just another tagline to make ppl see the photos. I personally dun see hw the photos truly reflect the sights of a Schizopheric to be honest.

Ok. Shoot me guys.
    ^5...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

U ^5 me, I bet u a cuppa kopi that some ppl (expecting less than 30 post counts) are readying their assault rifles, grenades and ready to fire me all their worth.

Some examples,
    "U say until like dat, I dun see how ur photos are as good."
    "They can hold exhibition, u can't. Hold exhibition = good. U can't hold = lousy."
    "Tell me. Let me see ur photos and let us judge ur snaps."

Ok, u gonna ^5 with me too on these fire I guess?

My dear friend, check this out: http://adoseoflight.com/overdose/xiaokang.html

Now let me know of ur opinion and see if it matches mine.

Technical superiority of framing, DOF, thirds rule is there.
    Compositional skills complemented by storyline.
    Photos standalone.... well.... "Ok"
    loading darn slow...

anyway, if i was to really do it... i'd rather have stories for each of them... not just a fictional character...

and i see these pics are darn funny... i think they are the actual people who wear tinted glasses looking at them... not the society they are trying to educate...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

U ^5 me, I bet u a cuppa kopi that some ppl (expecting less than 30 post counts) are readying their assault rifles, grenades and ready to fire me all their worth.

Some examples,
    "U say until like dat, I dun see how ur photos are as good."
    "They can hold exhibition, u can't. Hold exhibition = good. U can't hold = lousy."
    "Tell me. Let me see ur photos and let us judge ur snaps."

Ok, u gonna ^5 with me too on these fire I guess?
    well, let them come then... i hold by the ^5...

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    well, let them come then... i hold by the ^5...
    Not fun liaoz. I'm expecting u to bet another way. Looking forward to my cuppa....

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    i thought the fotos were great.

its a hoax, i'm thoroughly disappointed as i've been taken for a ride.
    I thought there was an analysis of the images in this thread and the conclusion is that it's not real? Maybe you guys missed it. Well, it was entertaining though..
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=290619
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 3rd July 2007 at 10:23 AM.

Not fun liaoz. I'm expecting u to bet another way. Looking forward to my cuppa....
    u mean i hold then nobody dare to assault you? i dun think i so power leh...

DCA face very big. I'm juz kucing kurap nias.

Ah, I'd checked the photos out yesterday.

To be brutally honest, if I were to see the photos 'standalone' (without whatever 'artistic story' they put together) that is, my comments would be no less than, "Erm... Ok. Nice snaps."

I thought photography was to hit an objective whereby photos tell a story by themselves, where viewers see the photos and are able to draw their own conclusion and not thru a specific story whatsoever?

Can't help but notice that inanimate shots of inanimate objects with shallow DOF like those are 'in the vogue' of late when simply just standalone, they probably held no meaning to it.

As for drawing attention, these artists probably got it... more than what they'd expected for. Including negative ones. Also, it made me wonder abt the word 'artist' in Singapore. An artist is one that invites controversy unintentionally (by way of interpretation) or do they initiate controversy thru their works (put nastily - "Attention seeking")? Which goes?

Probably IMO, "Photos reflecting the sights of a Schizopheric", is just another tagline to make ppl see the photos. I personally dun see hw the photos truly reflect the sights of a Schizopheric to be honest.

Ok. Shoot me guys.
    hoax aside.. i think its not so much the quality of the photos or photographic style. rather its the a story of last moments of what he sees -

walks in the gate, looks up at the building, climbs up the stairs, along the way he sees depressing images, gets to top of building looks down at the ground, looks at the birds, can he fly?, jumps....everything is a blur, then darkness...

ok so no one probably knows what goes thru a schizophrenic's mind, or in this case a person's mind before they commit suicide. if anything i see this as an effort to remind us that there real people out there with these kind of problems.

I can imagine pretty much along that line, but personally, if that is reflected in videography/animation with an accompanying storyline, I'd say, "Excellent piece of work."

I guess we all know about these people, its probably a part in our mind to deny them of their existence. But still, putting up such an elaborate hoax all the way to get the attention of the public when they can organise the exhibition thru a self-help group to promote awareness seriously? I have serious doubts abt their intent to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    hoax aside.. i think its not so much the quality of the photos or photographic style. rather its the a story of last moments of what he sees -

walks in the gate, looks up at the building, climbs up the stairs, along the way he sees depressing images, gets to top of building looks down at the ground, looks at the birds, can he fly?, jumps....everything is a blur, then darkness...

ok so no one probably knows what goes thru a schizophrenic's mind, or in this case a person's mind before they commit suicide. if anything i see this as an effort to remind us that there real people out there with these kind of problems.
    well, i think they probably give you a wrong impression then... it sounds more like a depression then schizophrenia... cos from the way you conclude... doesn't sound a bit like having schizophrenia...

i'd say, if i am to take on such a project, i might as well, really give a disposable camera to one such, and then develop it...

Anyway, for some of them, they see things that are not there... so normally we have to bring them back to reality, by reinforcing that it wasn't there. So if a photograph they took have things they sought... something is wrong... most likely, the pictures they take will only have blanks... and they won't use a AF cam, cos it cannot lock focus...

http://www.straitstimes.com/Life%252...ry_135089.html
    July 3, 2007
    Hoax halts printing of show catalogues
    But the arts group behind the tale of a schizophrenic lensman says fooling the organiser was 'necessary'
    By Adeline Chia
    THE organiser of a photography festival has had to stop the printing of 500 show catalogues because of a hoax created by one of the exhibitors.
    Phish Communications, organiser of the ongoing Month Of Photography, was not amused when it was revealed that an art collective had made up a story to accompany the photos it was showing.

The collective, A Dose Of Light, had said that the photos were taken by a Wu Xiao Kang, a Singaporean photographer who suffered from schizophrenia and killed himself. The group even started an online petition asking for the return of Wu's last roll of film from an unnamed German institute, garnering 100 signatures.

Its members had told Life! in a report yesterday that Wu did not exist and that the hoax was a piece of conceptual art to highlight the plight of schizophrenics.

Festival director Shirlene Noordin, 38, who wrote an essay in the catalogue introducing the group, said she was 'really upset' to have been kept in the dark.

'They can say it's art. But art is also about responsibility. I have sponsors, other exhibitors and the public to respond to.'

Members of the collective - Robert Zhao, 24, a fine art student in London's Camberwell College of Arts; Angelique Pan, 28, a Berlin-based artist; and Ang Song Nian, 24, a photography assistant at Nanyang Technological University - had taken the shots.

The pictures will still be shown at the exhibition, Out Of Focus, which is on at City Hall from Friday to July 29.

Ms Shirlene said: 'It's still good photography, well-composed and the colours are good. It's the motives behind it that I question.'

Ang said the group did not intend to delay preparations for the exhibition, but fooling the organiser was necessary.

'Our photos were designed to let the viewer experience the state of perception schizophrenics undergo. It didn't make sense to tell Phish and compromise the concept of the artwork.'

chiahta@sph.com.sg

i had a couple of (female) friends send me the link when it was a hot topic and told me they cried reading the story and looking at the images.

to those that think it's not a problem, cos at movies pple cry too, i say this: movies are not real. no one actually died in the movie. "based on a true" story still isn't as real as a "taking a picture while falling to your death..."

this is such bad publicity for the singaporean photography scene. trying too hard to be different.

well, i think they probably give you a wrong impression then... it sounds more like a depression then schizophrenia... cos from the way you conclude... doesn't sound a bit like having schizophrenia...

i'd say, if i am to take on such a project, i might as well, really give a disposable camera to one such, and then develop it...

Anyway, for some of them, they see things that are not there... so normally we have to bring them back to reality, by reinforcing that it wasn't there. So if a photograph they took have things they sought... something is wrong... most likely, the pictures they take will only have blanks... and they won't use a AF cam, cos it cannot lock focus...
    ya you are right. sound more like depression

Sooooo how DO they know what having a mental illness is like?

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO View Post
    i had a couple of (female) friends send me the link when it was a hot topic and told me they cried reading the story and looking at the images.

to those that think it's not a problem, cos at movies pple cry too, i say this: movies are not real. no one actually died in the movie. "based on a true" story still isn't as real as a "taking a picture while falling to your death..."

this is such bad publicity for the singaporean photography scene. trying too hard to be different.
    ya just gave people the 'false' impression...

necessary? my foot...

Just what if nobody knows that its fake?... they intend to bring it to their graves?

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    after the pressure from the society, mostly likely they will experience it real time very soon...

where they stay?

after the pressure from the society, mostly likely they will experience it real time very soon...

where they stay?
    View Road Hosp?

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    use imagination?

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    use imagination?
    How to imagine? You can't see using their eyes leh...

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast