Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marina Bay Water Front

Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    Need a better tripod I suppose.....

How heavy will the tripod be to be stable in strong wind condition???

I really do not know if a 3 way pan is better of a ball head....

I am eyeing on the slik 500Pro.... weigh 2.4kg......
    It's stable, but you'd have to have some muscles to keep carrying it around... Go back to that thread and think about it more.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

to TS... For night scene, esp since u have tripod (get a sturdy one.. look for those with just the legs and not supports on legs, the supports is there bcos the legs are not steady. LOL, generally, manfrotto, Slik or Gitzo will do), you should be shooting at lowest ISO as possible. i..e. if your camera can set ISO 50, 100 or 200, set it as long as it's lowest. Lower ISO = less noise.

Aperture wise, alot of people will tell u set to the smallest but i wont. If u read any lens review, the sharpest image is usually not the widest or the smallest aperature. So, if your lens allows up to F22, shoot at F16 will do just fine.

Cropping. Decide your composition carefully, zoom in if you can. Cropping after shooting will only degrade your pic. a 6mp shot, cropped 1/2 will basically gives u 3mp shot.

Filter. for night scene, polariser doesnt help much except to lower shooting speed more and cut off any unwanted reflections. Starlight, some find it gimicky, so use with caution.

Tripod. Always use it for night scene. As for buying the correct one, just choose one that supports your setup now and maybe a bit more. i.e. if your intend to get a F2.8 zoom for 70-200, and use a D70, look for at least 5g load.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32 View Post
    to TS... For night scene, esp since u have tripod (get a sturdy one.. look for those with just the legs and not supports on legs, the supports is there bcos the legs are not steady. LOL, generally, manfrotto, Slik or Gitzo will do), you should be shooting at lowest ISO as possible. i..e. if your camera can set ISO 50, 100 or 200, set it as long as it's lowest. Lower ISO = less noise.

Aperture wise, alot of people will tell u set to the smallest but i wont. If u read any lens review, the sharpest image is usually not the widest or the smallest aperature. So, if your lens allows up to F22, shoot at F16 will do just fine.

Cropping. Decide your composition carefully, zoom in if you can. Cropping after shooting will only degrade your pic. a 6mp shot, cropped 1/2 will basically gives u 3mp shot.

Filter. for night scene, polariser doesnt help much except to lower shooting speed more and cut off any unwanted reflections. Starlight, some find it gimicky, so use with caution.

Tripod. Always use it for night scene. As for buying the correct one, just choose one that supports your setup now and maybe a bit more. i.e. if your intend to get a F2.8 zoom for 70-200, and use a D70, look for at least 5g load.
    Thanks for your advise, and all the advises given by all....

I really appreciate them a lot.....

I love night scene, and a sturdy tripod will be more ideal... must work hard on research now for SA KA.... lol...

I have not shot for too long and forget my basic!!!!!
    Last edited by Halfmoon; 4th July 2007 at 11:05 PM.
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

i think a benro tripod will do enough good for your setup.. but im not so sure..

btw looking from the viewpoint it seems that you shot from very near to the river.. is it from the construction site in the opposite of esplanade? and how did you manage to catch the firework? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueshift View Post
    i think a benro tripod will do enough good for your setup.. but im not so sure..

btw looking from the viewpoint it seems that you shot from very near to the river.. is it from the construction site in the opposite of esplanade? and how did you manage to catch the firework? thanks
    It is opposite esplande bank.... pretty close to the river.... and nope.. there was no fire works that night sadly....

It is opposite esplande bank.... pretty close to the river.... and nope.. there was no fire works that night sadly....

May I know how to get to the other bank of the river by public transport?
    To Whom the Bell Tolls

Quote Originally Posted by materoppuppets View Post
    May I know how to get to the other bank of the river by public transport?
    By Foot mostly... check out one marina bolvd and you will see it...

Need a better tripod I suppose.....

How heavy will the tripod be to be stable in strong wind condition???

I really do not know if a 3 way pan is better of a ball head....

I am eyeing on the slik 500Pro.... weigh 2.4kg......
    any tripod will do..
    try using timer next time. it helps reduce any shakes while pressing the shutter release.

Quote Originally Posted by shahrecover View Post
    any tripod will do..
    try using timer next time. it helps reduce any shakes while pressing the shutter release.
    Also, it was on uneven ground... and I think that contribute to the shaking too.....

The lighting is very blah. IMO, lighting is one of the most important things about landscape photography and hence picking the right time to shoot an image is very, extremely important. For a night scene you would perhaps want to shoot at a time where you still can get detail in the sky(ie. dusk or dawn).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12