Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Marina Bay Water Front

  1. #1
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Marina Bay Water Front

    Happen to be shooting for NDP rehearsal... and have this shot....

    I want to capture those lights that is lighting up the sky, and the pictures to show that the lights and rays...... yet, a calming nightscape ....

    Using a 24mm on a 400D. ISO 800 with tripod.



    Sorry, new to digital and not sure how to resize image....

    Thank you for viewing and condemning!!! lol....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    the shot is great. especially the light works @ the new stadium.
    erm... i think the shot would turn out pretty nice after you "photoshop" it

  3. #3

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    Your tripod does not appear very stable.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    Your tripod does not appear very stable.
    Second that, picture looks too blur. It's either tripod issues, or you knocked it a little, or it's OOF. Can't decide. =D

  5. #5

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    You should set smaller aperture such as F9 & above and give a longer exposure to make your photo looks sharper. As for the ISO 100 or 200 should be good enough. BTW, what tripod are you using?
    Last edited by zola70; 2nd July 2007 at 09:30 AM.
    Nikon D5000 | NikKor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G VR | Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8G | SB-400

  6. #6

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    Quote Originally Posted by zola70 View Post
    You should set smaller aperture such as F9 & above and give a longer exposure to make your photo looks sharper. As for the ISO 100 or 200 should be good enough. BTW, what tripod are you using?
    ditto.

    and yea ur tripod seems to be shaking.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    Quote Originally Posted by zola70 View Post
    You should set smaller aperture such as F9 & above and give a longer exposure to make your photo looks sharper. As for the ISO 100 or 200 should be good enough. BTW, what tripod are you using?
    There was strong wind, and I think my tripod is too lightweight. Slik U6600 if I am not wrong...... I tried longer exposure and it was worse.... maybe should have used 35mmF2??
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    Dear Critic

    Beside the sharpness of the picture, how was the composition, color, lighting etc???

    Thank you all for your valuable comments and insight....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  9. #9
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    Dear Critic

    Beside the sharpness of the picture, how was the composition, color, lighting etc???

    Thank you all for your valuable comments and insight....
    It was too centred, at least for me. I would either go for more water or more sky. Else I'd crop both out and make it a pano shot.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  10. #10

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    Why are you using ISO800 if you have a tripod?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    Your composition is 50-50.

    Also, no focus.


    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    Dear Critic

    Beside the sharpness of the picture, how was the composition, color, lighting etc???

    Thank you all for your valuable comments and insight....

  12. #12

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    Quite unique selections of iso.. u shud get down to 100! use like 10sec exposure time and smallest aperture available. 24mm is good but better if can get to 18mm. it looks blur. out of focus? set it to infinity, wun be wrong. I think is more of off focus blur then camera shake blur...

    I've check the photo and these are the 'stats': F/2.8. 1/3 sec exposure, ISO 400(altho he said iso800, but properties said so), -1 exposure compensation.

    Blur due to F/2.8. Aperture not small enough to get the image sharp.

  13. #13
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    There was strong wind, and I think my tripod is too lightweight. Slik U6600 if I am not wrong...... I tried longer exposure and it was worse.... maybe should have used 35mmF2??
    If your tripod is not able to be stable enough for a long exposure, change it. Get one which can last in strong winds and be able to work for you in long exposure shots.

    A fast lens will not help in scenery shots as you need DOF for such pictures. Go down to ISO 100 or 200 and stop down the aperture to f8 or smaller.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  14. #14
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    It was too centred, at least for me. I would either go for more water or more sky. Else I'd crop both out and make it a pano shot.
    I think the pano will look nicer......
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    If your tripod is not able to be stable enough for a long exposure, change it. Get one which can last in strong winds and be able to work for you in long exposure shots.

    A fast lens will not help in scenery shots as you need DOF for such pictures. Go down to ISO 100 or 200 and stop down the aperture to f8 or smaller.
    I notice blur shots with longer exposure, so that why I go down with a lower aperature.....

    Notice my mistake, and will try to make a better shot next time....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    Quote Originally Posted by Werty View Post
    Quite unique selections of iso.. u shud get down to 100! use like 10sec exposure time and smallest aperture available. 24mm is good but better if can get to 18mm. it looks blur. out of focus? set it to infinity, wun be wrong. I think is more of off focus blur then camera shake blur...

    I've check the photo and these are the 'stats': F/2.8. 1/3 sec exposure, ISO 400(altho he said iso800, but properties said so), -1 exposure compensation.

    Blur due to F/2.8. Aperture not small enough to get the image sharp.
    How do you check the picture setting?? Maybe I remembered wrongly... Thanks for highlighting..... I could not get clearer shot at higher expposure time... sad.....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    How about this one??

    I sharpen this image and crop it..... I went through and found this one much sharper... also, please advice on how to add water mark.

    Thank you.

    Last edited by Halfmoon; 4th July 2007 at 12:00 AM.
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    Definitely a lot better in terms of sharpness.

    Composition wise the paranomic crop does help, but if you intend to focus on the lights into the sky perhaps the position could be shifted slightly. This view is pretty cliched, so there is not really much to comment on, I guess.

  19. #19
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    Yup. Better now. But it's still a 0.6 sec on f2.8 aperture and ISO 400 image, so there's still more room to improve on.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  20. #20
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Marina Bay Water Front

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Yup. Better now. But it's still a 0.6 sec on f2.8 aperture and ISO 400 image, so there's still more room to improve on.
    Need a better tripod I suppose.....

    How heavy will the tripod be to be stable in strong wind condition???

    I really do not know if a 3 way pan is better of a ball head....

    I am eyeing on the slik 500Pro.... weigh 2.4kg......
    Last edited by Halfmoon; 4th July 2007 at 02:27 AM.
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •